1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Christmas Day Main Meal

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by srobertson06, Nov 24, 2016.

1. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am now planning a Christmas Day for one - due to family having to work I have found out I am on my own for Christmas Day, I am not overly worried by it but just wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a main meal for the day?
    It is only the one day but I would like to have a special type of meal.
    Thank you for any suggestions

2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

When that happens to me I have a curry, as much wine as I can hold and pass out. It's a special day in the sense that no-one is going to rush round to see if your are alright and fuss so you might as well enjoy it. Boxing day is also bleak but then the world gets back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Avocado and prawn salad starter.
    Fillet steak, onions, mushrooms, green veg to your liking and, as it's Christmas, throw in a wee potato or two.
    Dessert - hmmm, fruit salad and brandy cream?

Or you could get a small turkey roll. Mix pork sausage meat, garlic and chopped onion together and surround the turkey with this. Thin slices of lemon over the turkey adds extra flavour. You'd have leftovers which you could freeze or just save in fridge for later.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

I like the sound of @dancer s first three course meal. Fabulous!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

Poussin, green veg, any M&S starter & pudding.
    We have Indian

6. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

smoked salmon and salad or prawns if you like them.

chicken breast stuffed with a mix of black pudding ( or the insides of a good herby sausage), chopped mushrooms and a bit of grated apple and baked, served with whisky sauce (remains of the chopped mushrooms, finely sliced onion caramelised together then add some cream and finish with a bit of whisky), add veg of choice.

cheese and a glass of red, or, an unctuous choca-mocha cream pud with a bit more whisky stirred in.

• Like Like x 2
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Cheese on toast. For an extra treat cut off the crusts and have them later with a cup of tea.:wacky::wacky::wacky:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I've raided waitrose and tried different things. When you only have yourself to please, the worlds your oyster! Far cheaper when its for one, so indulge. My advice don't stick to turkey. Enjoy!

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. peterjones6000

peterjones6000 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

sounds great, but could I just have the black pudding and whisky please:angelic:

10. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@peterjones6000. Black pudding and whiskey??????????????????????????????????????????.

11. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Ooooo
    I would spoil myself to some nice ready made meals , treats etc . Only the best I can get ..care of marks or Waitrose or wherever .
    I would get lovely flowers and a nice scented candle ..
    A day just to relax .. and enjoy ..

Nice walk to
    Good tv , pj's and a blanket ...
    And yes , i would buy myself a few gifts to enjoy ....
    It's only a day though .. after Boxing Day , which would be a repeat of Christmas Day ..
    I would be heading to the sales .. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Patricia21

Patricia21 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi I would go with what Kat says.
    M and S meal deal,and you dont have to cook.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I would do the same as Kat100. Simple but deliciously decadent ;) (it's only once a year, after all)

14. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I'm working Christmas day and boxing day!

My idea of a one person meal is a fry up of gammon, eggs, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes. David great start to any day!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sauron

Sauron Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lots of food, lots of alcohol and just have fun

16. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

not in the same glass :p

I would cook myself a duck breast

17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Before Mr B and I got together, I had alternate Xmases with my parents, and alternate Xmases by myself. For about 10 years.

I enjoyed the family ones, but there was something very very special about the solo ones.

Loved it.

I would buy a duck, roast it, serve it with LC onion sauce, LC leeks in cheese sauce, LC gravy, green beans and (my major sin of the day) some honey roast parsnips. Oh, and LC blackcurrant jam all over the duck.

Bliss.

Half the duck on Xmas Day, the other half on Boxing Day.

That was all I ate all day.

One year I spent the 2 days tiling the bathroom. I still remember that Xmas with delight and a lot of pride, because those tiles looked GOOD. Other years I made curtains, or did my Tax Return.

:D

Part of the trick to enjoying a solo Xmas is avoiding all that Seasonal TV jollity. All it does is remind you every second about pink fluffy family togetherness and how patronisingly kind people are to invite the Vicar of Dibley round and force feed her.
    Shudder.
    Every year people would gasp in horror at the thought I was alone (you have to imagine their tones of ghastly terror), and invite me round to watch them argue. - And I would have to come up with some firm explanation as to why I WANTED to have a peaceful time. By myself.

A good book, a good meal, and a task to absorb the mind. Perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook