Type 1: Newbie vs Snacks

Redkitebait

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so mid afternoon and near bedtime i tend to get kinda hungry and I'd love to have a snack of some kind, but a lot of stuff thats snack-worthy tends to be over 10g of carbs which would mean I'd have to give myself more insulin, right? Like if I wanted a cereal bar before bed or like have biscuits with a cup of tea, etc..

I'm not keen on injecting myself more than have to... And I'm nervous of like, taking too much and going low. I'm in my honeymoon phase and my BS readings are going lower and lower so I have to keep lowering the units I take.

Right now I've got myself snacks that are low carb (cheese for foody-snacks , coconut milk if i want a drink-y snacks) but I feel limited in what i can nibble on without making my blood sugars go crazy, because I didn't take insulin for it. I have a bit of a sweet tooth too and I want to feel more free about eating things... I guess it's easier on a pump or something, but I've only been diagnosed 3 weeks ago so all I can use is a pen for now.

For example there was some mince pies in the house and i checked the box and it was along the lines of 48g carbs, if i had to inject for it 4 units it would be almost the same amount I take for dinner!

I guess this is also half a rant, I'm still new to this game and the topic of food has become so frustrating! This honeymood phase is also annoying me because this past week i've had hypos pretty much once every two nights and sometimes mid-morning and it sucks, and lowering my units of basal and fast-acting doesn't seem to resolve it ;_;
ok rant over

Any advice on snacky solutions, or hard truths would be really nice, thank you!

((also I'm a noob at carb counting still so correct me if im doing my maths wrong >.<)

*edit also from what I hear my doses are super tiny, but i guess as well as honeymoon stuff I'm also like short and skinny lol i dont know if that makes a difference

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You may get away with a 10g snack without injecting with you being in your Honeymoon Period, try it and see how you get on.

Regards to your insulin doses and the hypo's, run it all by your DSN and they'll advise you on adjusting your insulin.

Reactions: Redkitebait

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bolus for all carby snacks but I've had Type 1 for more than 20 years so no honeymoon now. One thing I do do is try to avoid having a carby snack at bedtime so I don't have to worry about the bolus making me low during the night, however unlikely that might be. So I eat cheese or nuts, etc.

During the day I have carby snacks and bolus for them. I try to keep snacks around 25g carbs or less, but occasionally I'll have a treat that has more carbs.

Shop mince pies are horribly high in carbs. Homemade are better because you can have less pastry and better quality mincemeat.

Reactions: Redkitebait

Redkitebait

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may get away with a 10g snack without injecting with you being in your Honeymoon Period, try it and see how you get on.

Regards to your insulin doses and the hypo's, run it all by your DSN and they'll advise you on adjusting your insulin.
Thanks, I actually called today because I was worried about it, she asked me to take my basal from 8 to 6 units and bring my mealtime doses quite a bit; I'm going to see how it goes and we agreed I would call on Monday to see what's up with it.

Reactions: azure and noblehead

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I eat carbs for snacks all the time and bolus for them, if you worried about having a low during the night after taking insulin for your snack you could est a tiny bit more than you inject for. You may of course run a tad high but it could guide you next for next time as to what to do.

Regards

Martin

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It all really depends on how much time/effort you want to put in to your snacks! You could make yourself chicken nuggets using ground almonds as a coating? Mini omelette? Pizza using ground almonds and water as the base or you could use minced beef as a base! These are all 'carb free' snacks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Celery sticks filled with cream cheese, scrambled eggs with cheese and small slices of tomato, cauliflower florets cooked and frozen in small batches, defrost gently then cover with grated cheese and heat at full power until the cheese melts, green salad with tinned tuna or salmon and mayonnaise, or shrimp - buy frozen and defrost in the microwave. Leftover chicken thighs roasted on a rack so they become crispy, though there are rarely any leftovers to snack on at my house. I always have kippers and bacon in the freezer. If you can keep something low carb handy the lure of a high carb snack is far less.