Feeling really fed up and struggling

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still going, I can't afford not to. I have been told I have small fibre neuropathy in my feet, likely caused by high BS for a prolonged period. So the low (ish) carb diet continues, I am still eating a small amount of potatoes and bread in the form of Lidl rolls, but only v.small quantities. Struggling with constant hunger despite efforts to eat good fats. Honestly, not really gotten used to LCHF yet, my body, particularly my tummy, seems anti it and would prefer me to go back to my mega carb days!
But I'll persevere, I have to, will research more foods and press on. A1C was down 2 points recently so at least heading in right direction .

By the look of you weight control is not an issue:meh:. Do you know how many calories/carbs you're eating a day. I've got to loose stones :grumpy:so I'm using a counter cronometer.com (american but still manageable tho a bit of a faff at first) which helps me with an idea of carbs eaten. It also computes your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) to give you an idea of the calories you need per day. You might be find that you need more calories (whoopee, more fat) which will help you feel less hungry.

As for your tummy feeling anti LCHF, I think it was more my head that had the problem!!:D

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, in my case I honestly don't think it's the small amount of bread, only in the form of Lidl rolls, which are making me feel hungry. These are only occasional. I've done tests, having meals very low carb eg omelette and salad and I'm just the same. I think it's just because i was used to having such huge meals in my previous life and my body's not happy with the sudden change.
I'm not any more but for a while I was logging all my meals on my fitness pal, I reckon I'm on about 50-100g carbs a day and about 1500-2000 calories. I'm going to try upping the fats to see if that helps.
I'm swimming a lot, 60+ lengths 3 or 4 times a week, so burning through quite a few calories doing that.
Onwards and upwards !

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
srobertson06 thank you for your reply the 1 thing I forgot to mention is that i'm prediabetic and have quite a bit of weight to lose and this is why the DN told me to do LCHF way of eating. My bloods were done 18mnths ago but I wasn't told at my old doctors, went to see nurse at new practice and she asked if anyone had told me that I was prediabetic which was a shock.
As I don't know were I am at this moment with my hbc1a bloods I bought a monitor now not sure this was a good idea. Maybe your right and im abit stressed!

Blood glucose monitor good:happy:. Stress bad:grumpy: (ca make your blood glucose rise). Like you many of us are loosing weight on this programme (have you tried the LCHF diabetes.co.uk 10 week programme on this site? Very helpful). It does work, I've lost 20lbs in 8 weeks, so well chuffed (still loads to go).

It's a shame that you were messed about at the beginning of this journey, (but you are one of the lucky ones as lots of DNs haven't even heard of LCHF). You now have a chance to foil diabetes before it gets a grip on you. That is quite a motivator.

Reactions: KezG

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, in my case I honestly don't think it's the small amount of bread, only in the form of Lidl rolls, which are making me feel hungry. These are only occasional. I've done tests, having meals very low carb eg omelette and salad and I'm just the same. I think it's just because i was used to having such huge meals in my previous life and my body's not happy with the sudden change.
I'm not any more but for a while I was logging all my meals on my fitness pal, I reckon I'm on about 50-100g carbs a day and about 1500-2000 calories. I'm going to try upping the fats to see if that helps.
I'm swimming a lot, 60+ lengths 3 or 4 times a week, so burning through quite a few calories doing that.
Onwards and upwards !
Good man!!Sounds like with your activity levels you can afford to up your calories, perhaps more like 2.000 - 2250 just guessing, check that out before you take my word for it.:rolleyes:. I have a strong feeling you're a bit stubborn like me, and won't let this beat you.:D

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Juicetin, we may be in a somewhat similar boat, health-wise: I have neuropathy too, I did a venous blood test with the doc, it came out as the equivalent of 13.2 mmol, but when I did another test 2 weeks later, it came out as 5.8, so basically I have diabetes, but there may be some sort of chance I could be pre-diabetic, or early stages, or whatever. In any event, I'm aiming for a much lower test next time. I now try to keep my carbs and sugar very low: no starch, no fruit, nothing that grows underground, and I'm a lot less hungry now than I was back when I had my high-carb, totally-unaware-of-diabetes diet. Stuff like bread would spike me and make me hungrier. I wonder if the starch you are allowing yourself make you feel more, rather than less hungry?
I have found this too, the more sugar and bread I had, the hungrier I got, since going low carb, I forget to eat, or dont need to eat for 12 plus hours.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found this too, the more sugar and bread I had, the hungrier I got, since going low carb, I forget to eat, or dont need to eat for 12 plus hours.
Lucky you! I have to eat every couple of hours!

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed pre-D in Jan this year (which was a shock - I thought I had gout), so went out and bought Michael Mosley's book 'The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet'. I'd never dieted before, so had nothing to compare it against. I followed it pretty rigorously for a couple of months and lost 2 stone, so I absolutely recommend it, both for the sound advice and the recipes. Since then I've kept my weight exactly where I want it to be, and every blood test shows huge improvements in the key indicators (see my recent post in the blood test results thread). I'm now no longer regarded as pre-D, but I'm not going to change things now, as I've also experienced plenty of other benefits, such as the absence of gout, a stronger immune system, clear skin, better gum health, much better quality sleep, a calmer, clearer mind and the same kind of build I had in my late teens/early 20s.
Point is, I've never starved myself. Nearly a year on I still avoid most bread (though occasionally have a bacon sandwich or slice of toast if the mood strikes), and generally steer clear of pasta, rice, potatoes, etc, as well as the usual suspects like alcohol, biscuits, cake, sweets, soft drinks, etc, but otherwise things haven't changed much. I eat lots of full fat Greek yoghurt, oily fish and vegetables as well as plenty of meat and fruit - apples, pears, berries of all descriptions and colours and even more exotic varieties now and again - and throw in cheese and nuts as snacks if I do feel hungry, which is hardly ever. Quinoa is a good replacement for pasta or rice, btw, so I still eat curries, chilli, and anything else that usually involves rice or pasta.
For food suggestions check out the thread called 'What have you eaten today?', which has provided me with loads of ideas.
Good luck, my friend, and keep persevering. It will be worth it.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bulkbiker
The DN didn't want to do my HbA1c again because if it had gone higher it could of put me into the diabetes range and wanted to give me the chance to reduce it before they do another blood test. Her words were once your labelled diabetic its with you for life even if I control it. Part of me wishes that I didn't know.

if you want to find out you can do a home hab1c test .its about £12 per test - and the pack last abut 3 -5 months depending on the sell by dates

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FNZJ...ie=UTF8&qid=1480531892&sr=sr-1&keywords=hba1c

I am suing those to keep an eye on where my hba1c is going between official appointments

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the look of you weight control is not an issue:meh:. Do you know how many calories/carbs you're eating a day. I've got to loose stones :grumpy:so I'm using a counter cronometer.com (american but still manageable tho a bit of a faff at first) which helps me with an idea of carbs eaten. It also computes your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) to give you an idea of the calories you need per day. You might be find that you need more calories (whoopee, more fat) which will help you feel less hungry.

As for your tummy feeling anti LCHF, I think it was more my head that had the problem!!:D

I'm using cronometer as well. I like the fact that fats are green for a change instead of the low fat advice very where else !

Reactions: callyandy

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm using cronometer as well. I like the fact that fats are green for a change instead of the low fat advice very where else !

Yup, absolutely. How are you doing? Weighed again today at my prediabetes group. 91.8kg, 10.2 lost since 30 September (then I was 102kg) so that means I've lost 10% of my weight in 10 weeks. Very happy with that indeed. And still not hungry. Mad isn't it :D.

Got a long way to go yet BMI 27.9 and I'd like get down to 75kg ish but we'll see.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, absolutely. How are you doing? Weighed again today at my prediabetes group. 91.8kg, 10.2 lost since 30 September (then I was 102kg) so that means I've lost 10% of my weight in 10 weeks. Very happy with that indeed. And still not hungry. Mad isn't it :D.

Got a long way to go yet BMI 27.9 and I'd like get down to 75kg ish but we'll see.
Hi, well done you. What is a prediabetic group? are there many of these about?

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, well done you. What is a prediabetic group? are there many of these about?
Hello. My story is on a bit of a long winded blog. But I was invited by my GPS surgery to go on a prediabetes awareness course. A couple of blood tests had shown high blood glucose results and I was in the obese bmi range. The course is called xpert , and although not presented by NHS staff, it's sponsored by NHS England. They promote low carbon high fat or the Mediterranean diet. And explain the problems with the current NHS "healthy plate" diet for diabetics.
I'm finding it very helpful. There are 10 of us, ages from 20 to 75 all shapes and sizes. Learning together. To be honest it's quite good fun. I feel very lucky that I'm benefiting from the course, especially as on the induction my hbA1c was 51.7%, so no longer pre diabetic and so shouldn't be on it....
I can only suggest asking at your surgery if your interested.
Can't do any harm.
Good luck

Reactions: Brunneria

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. My story is on a bit of a long winded blog. But I was invited by my GPS surgery to go on a prediabetes awareness course. A couple of blood tests had shown high blood glucose results and I was in the obese bmi range. The course is called xpert , and although not presented by NHS staff, it's sponsored by NHS England. They promote low carbon high fat or the Mediterranean diet. And explain the problems with the current NHS "healthy plate" diet for diabetics.
I'm finding it very helpful. There are 10 of us, ages from 20 to 75 all shapes and sizes. Learning together. To be honest it's quite good fun. I feel very lucky that I'm benefiting from the course, especially as on the induction my hbA1c was 51.7%, so no longer pre diabetic and so shouldn't be on it....
Can't do any harm.
Good luck
Wow, who knew, I'm back at the GP next week so I'll ask about that .
Thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I really don't enjoy low carb I'm hungry all the time. When I read what people eat on here in a day I'm wondering if they think does this really go together. But I understand this is the way it has to be to keep the carbs down. I can't believe I'm prediabetic my sugar is always high, in the morning it's about 6.7 and in the evening it can go up to 9-10 but it does come down again pretty quick. Two of the Drs I'm under still insisted I'm not a full blown diabetic. My prediabetus is from pills I have to take immunosuppressants. I'm always interested on what people eat I'm grain dairy gluten intolerant and the mornings it's a nightmare on what to eat. I can't even eat free from foods everything has to be fresh. Food is suppose to be one of the pleasures in life it's getting me down and I'm loosing more weight. Sorry for the big moan. Can you tell me some of your favourite things to eat?

I too can only eat fresh food...and a tea plate size meal maximum.
I eat roasted veg with 2 teaspoons of homemade curry sauce from coconut milk. I love overcooked broccoli and courgette with an egg or curry sauce.

I cannot eat any flour at all, even if its gluten free, so I know what it is like. You could have things from chickpea flour or rice flour etc. I cannot have these either. I cannot eat meat either as it does not travel well in my stomach.

I have lovely thick fresh smoothies when I want a treat. Yes, they have 27-29 carbs in but with such limited eating its not a lot! That has coconut or almond milk in it. I even see 100g of melon at 9g of carbs as a treat!! But it is something that I treat myself to every day.

My friend with parkies is also coeliac and dairy intolerant but has a creme caramel free from range occasionally and also another cake from Tesco free from range.

Are you totally grain free as in rice crispies as well?

I understand that this is not low carb but you must find a way to get balanced nutrition for your intolerances. Low carb is not for everyone. The most important thing is maintaining nutritional balance.
Not wveryone has to low carb.. we are all different with different illnesses and some with additional problems that impact on eating.

The thing to me that you need most is a medical practice that will treat your blood levels seriously and a doctor that considers your eating too. My lady GP is wonderful. She totally understands that I am OTT and try to look after my all round nutrition. I have T1, paralysed colon, intolerance to aspartame and sweeteners and preservatives, and problems with stomach and a growth in gallbladder and cancer last year.
My GP helps me enormously ensuring that I keep out of anaemia by eating overcooked broccoli each day or spinach in a smoothie etc. She really understands that I try to help myself foremost.

I do not see food as pleasure. Its not even a necessity as it can be tube fed...so putting it as a pleasure is not necessarily a great way to think of food when you have intolerances and health problems.... To be honest I get more pleasure from spending my food money on myself instead!! To me food is an addiction that others gave when in fact it should be just a tool to live. I think of people that appear to have no bad habits... no vices at all.... they never smoked, gambled, drunk, etc etc -I mean nothing, never had alchohol pass their lips. I used to think, they are so perfect, how can they be that way? Then I look at their eating habits and realise that they comfort eat etc and their vice is over indulgence in food...
Not everyone. I admit, there is a perfect person somewhere. But even apparently god can be addictive today in the newspapers!! So indeed, even religion can now be a vice of addiction.

Food can be seen as a necessity to live, it does not have to be a source of pleasure... pleasure can be gained in a lot more ways.

Are they allergies or intolerances by the way?

I'm jyst worried more rhat your medical people are nit seeing you as an individual....

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm currently 92.5g from 102 on 4 October and 115 on 1 July . ( 19% of my body weight in total ) . I have a similar target of 75kg, so we both still seem on similar tracks.

My accident upset everything a fair bit, ( I now have and MRI scan on Sunday to see what if anything they can do to help my shoulder.) I must admit I've had a fun but bad diet week, many meals out, though I stuck to low carbs for all of them, they have accumulated to me not actually being in ketosis today, though interestingly the hunger and appetite haven't come back, so hopefully it won't be too hard to get back into it .

I've got myself a freestyle libre and that is currently estimating Hba1C of 44 or 6.2%. I seem to be able to knock along at average blood sugar at about( ie. equiv hba1C 38 or 5.8%) apart from late morning. My bs on rising is pretty consistently 5.5- 6.5% ,but about it rises to between 8 and 11 % for about four hours between 10 m and 2 pm - it doesn't seem to matter if I eat breakfast or lunch, I still get the rise. I am currently trying to understand what causes it as it seems to be getting worse and given if happens even if no food, I can't bring it down by obvious dietary means .

I've postponed my next medical for the official hba1C until after then scan, might as well tackle everything at one go!

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good girl, your numbers look very impressive. I'm sorry I'm not clever enough to help you with your rise around the middle of the day. Ignorant suggestions, are you doing any activity which might spike you? Something stressful? Trying to think where we can ask the question. Some clever peep will be able to help...

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't do any harm.
Good luck
I looked into this and guess what, there are 3 or 4 local x-pert education groups near me, so I'm going to contact them. This is the first I knew about them, I asked my GP and nurse the question a few months ago and they said nothing like this exists !
Thanks again.

Reactions: 75Bedford