Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How potato got less sugar than sweet potato

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet potato has 27.9gm carbs/100gm and 14.5gm sugar.
Boiled potato (old not new one) has 18.0gm carbs and 0.7gm sugar.

So sweet potato is very much higher in sugar. Both will tend to push up blood glucose levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: billiz

DM500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is sweet potato on the naughty list ? I thought it was better to eat than potato ( I'm new to this )

Reactions: kimrooney89
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Is sweet potato on the naughty list ? I thought it was better to eat than potato ( I'm new to this )
Best to try it and test as you might be lucky.

We don't buy sweet potatoes as they make my daughter's mouth itchy, so I haven't tested them myself.

DM500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Who knew. I can't risk anything at present that may raise bs/bg as my job at risk. I will start experimenting next month but learning loads already. Thanks

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Wow. Who knew. I can't risk anything at present that may raise bs/bg as my job at risk. I will start experimenting next month but learning loads already. Thanks
I hope it works out for you ok workwise.

If you like mash, you might want to try mashing cauliflower or celeriac or even turnip when you are ready. Good luck.

DM500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mash Cauliflower sounds yum. Will try that

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet potato generally has a lower GI especially if boiled. I can eat sweet potatoes but not potatoes so if you want to see which one your body tolerates better you will need to test
Yes sweet potato has a GI of 61 compared with (old) baked potato with a GI of 85, BUT if you look at the GL sweet potato is slightly higher with a GL of 17 compared with potato's GL of 15. So I guess that there's not really much in it as far as impact on BS goes, though the standard spud does have a slight edge.
As you say, testing is the best way to find out as we are all different!

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
I could not live without my spuds I adore them, better than wine, chocolate anything, I have spuds every other day and measure my portion out so its a fist full, ok I could eat a whole pan of the **** yummy things but a small portion is better than none at all, I can't get into sweet potato at all. I make sure my plate is half full of veggies, 1/4 something like roast quorn or a chickpea burger and 1/4 of a carb. I love veggies and eat about 4 different veggies each meal. I'd rather go without puddings than miss ot on spuds

Reactions: Pixieboo
S

Shar67

Tesco sweet potato mash as in picture contains 45% potato.
You are better with fresh, 7/8 minutes in microwave, scoop flesh out of skin, lovely mash

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Tesco sweet potato mash as in picture contains 45% potato.
You are better with fresh, 7/8 minutes in microwave, scoop flesh out of skin, lovely mash

Nothing like a fresh sweet potato, extra yummy finished in the oven and crisped up.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Inspired to have one tonight, microwaved, then finished off in the oven.
Yummy.
And a very nice 5.2 on the meter afterwards.