Back after a few years

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Genuinely sorry to hear that xyzzy but as many have maintained their control over longer periods, myself included, I would seriously consider LADA or some other T1'ish advancement is occurring here especially as you have T1 is in your direct family line.

Perhaps your strict lchf diet has kept the beast at bay for 5 years and things would have happened much faster had it not been for your lc lifestyle.

Good luck and I hope your GAD test turns up some answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: xyzzy and zand

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back @xyzz
You gave some good advice when you were here I hope you can take control again
CAROL

Reactions: xyzzy

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Welcome back @xyzz
You gave some good advice when you were here I hope you can take control again
CAROL

Hi CAROL you still here too! It's just like old-times. Hope you're doing well! xx

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Genuinely sorry to hear that xyzzy ....

Hi Sid hope all is well with you!. Thanks for your kind post it genuinely means a lot to have your support.

Yes the DB nurse was suggesting the exact same thing and given the T1 history I wasn't too surprised. I've got some decisions to make in the next few months. I'm seeing a gradual drop off in BG's now I've gone full out VLC but like yourself I'd rather continue around the 120g / day mark which is where I've sat the last 4 years since my regular posting days :) My plan at diagnosis was low carb metformin and then if that didn't work go straight to low carb insulin as I think its pointless going up the meds elevator as its only delaying the inevitable - that's my choice and I'm not saying its the right way for everyone. The two new drugs I mentioned may provide same kind of delay as they look pretty safe so long as your kidneys are working well - the challenge will be to get them prescribed.

Thanks again Sid, take care and keep in touch

Steve

desidiabulum

Welcome back xyzzy! Sorry you're having problems. As Sid says, given the T1 in family I'm sure it's worth having GAD/c-peptide tests done. Maybe you're LADA, or maybe you have joined our august MODY brigade. I'm assuming that you didn't do anything stupid like I did and start taking a steroid -- sent my numbers into 20s from nowhere. Hope you get back on track soon, but do stay around.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Welcome back xyzzy! Sorry you're having problems. As Sid says, given the T1 in family I'm sure it's worth having GAD/c-peptide tests done. Maybe you're LADA, or maybe you have joined our august MODY brigade. I'm assuming that you didn't do anything stupid like I did and start taking a steroid -- sent my numbers into 20s from nowhere. Hope you get back on track soon, but do stay around.
Was wondering when you'd turn up Desi! Hope you are doing well. Nope no new meds at all. It was all a bit of a surprise as I'd just been getting on with life for the last 4 years. The entire forum seems to have gone lchf or Swedish as I use to argue for. In most ways I'm pleased lchf has become accepted after all the debates (well truthfully arguments) we all use to have on here but (and I can't quite believe I'm saying this) maybe the pendulum has swung just a bit too far... ...Since coming back I seem to be agreeing with Sid - interesting times!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some of the defintions may have changed since your day @xyzzy . Dr Trudi Deakin in her 'Eat Fat' book classes less than 130g as low carb and that's about the same as the 'new' low carb program on this site, so this may give a wider acceptance to low carbing.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well in that case I've been doing the right thing for the last few years as that's the starting level we use to recommend during our debates. I never particularly advocated any level of carbs as fundamentally the more important thing is control of bgs and that can be achieved in multiple ways. The art is to find the method that works long term for you and not to con yourself when it's not working.

Last edited:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi and welcome back!

Hi Dai, by sheer coincidence I was nosing about the members list to see who was still active and was looking at yours when your post arrived!

Hope all is well with you.

Steve

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Boo :p

Sorry to hear things aren't going great Steve but I know you'll soon get this sorted - you did it before and will definitely do it again. Hope all the family are well

Angie xx

Reactions: zand

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boo
Sorry to hear things aren't going great Steve but I know you'll soon get this sorted - you did it before and will definitely do it again. Hope all the family are well

Angie xx
Hi Angie so you're still part of the "not dead yet gang" too Last time we spoke you had just moved so hope that all worked out and the family is ok. xx

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome back. 6.5 slightly on wrong side of good but not insurmountable.If you are able to increase exercise that may be the way to go given you look to be looking after the carbs well
.Wishing you every success on which ever road you choose

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Angie so you're still part of the "not dead yet gang" too Last time we spoke you had just moved so hope that all worked out and the family is ok. xx

Nope, not dead yet, although cancer had a pretty good go at finishing me off!
Life has been pretty cruel Steve. I did get diagnosed with a rare advanced cancer a few months after we moved, but somehow made it through. A month after that we lost our 28 yr old son unexpectedly (father of the twins?). It's been a rough ride but you know how I get by - it's just life, painful though that can be.
On a positive note, the ole D seems to be behaving itself! xx

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nope, not dead yet, although cancer had a pretty good go at finishing me off!
Life has been pretty cruel Steve. I did get diagnosed with a rare advanced cancer a few months after we moved, but somehow made it through. A month after that we lost our 28 yr old son unexpectedly (father of the twins?). It's been a rough ride but you know how I get by - it's just life, painful though that can be.
On a positive note, the ole D seems to be behaving itself! xx

Good grief Angie sounds like you've been to hell and back. I'm so sorry about your son we all send our love, yes the twins had arrived you'd said about them. If you can beat advanced cancer then D is easy! Take care and keep in touch my email is still functioning if you ever need a chat.

Steve xx

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey just a quick update on how things are going. Just over a week into VLC and the BG's are now averaging at roughly 8 so a bit higher than I'd like but certainly down from the mid teens averages from last week. Apart from carbs I'm taking in green veg I've done around 5g / day for the last few days. So two more weeks of VLC then I'll up for a week prior to going back to the docs.

Many thanks for all your support everyone.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thought I'd give you peeps an update.

I am now officially no longer Type 2 and am currently Type "God Knows" and waiting to do the range of c-peptide and GAD tests etc in the coming weeks.

On 20g of carbs a day and BG's are pretty flat but stuck between 8 & 9.

Told the doc I want to maximise the length of beta cell function I have left so am happy to move to a low insulin dose rather than waste time and NHS money on meds. Have been told whatever the outcome of the tests that is fine by them. I'll continue the VLC until the test results are back and then decide from there.

Take care all

Steve

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the update. I started reading your posts on this forum in 2011 and found them really inspiring particulaly with my family history of LADA. Please let us know how you get on.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to learn that you're making some progress in getting your issues sorted, Steve @xyzzy.

On a much sadder note, did you see the post from Janice Crawford on the DUK forum about the sudden death of her husband Fergus (aka CollieBoy) from a pulmonary embolism?

He was such an inspiration and will be sadly missed. I always loved reading about his collies and the trips in his lovingly restored motorhome.

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/farewell-from-fergus-c.64870/

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to learn that you're making some progress in getting your issues sorted, Steve @xyzzy.

On a much sadder note, did you see the post from Janice Crawford on the DUK forum about the sudden death of her husband Fergus (aka CollieBoy) from a pulmonary embolism?

He was such an inspiration and will be sadly missed. I always loved reading about his collies and the trips in his lovingly restored motorhome.

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/farewell-from-fergus-c.64870/

This is so HORRIBLE to hear of-Poor Fergie! :( He was a great guy with a wicked sense of humour and will be missed massively by lots of people.:(