Breakfasts

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am a little stuck for breakfast ideas as much as I would love bacon and eggs or omelettes every day I am aware of the bad publicity that surrounds bacon so limit my intake to two rashers once a week. Again with sausages & ham I worry about the high fat content of these as well as the stigma attached to eating processed meats. I have a cupboard full of porridge sachets and granola mainly dorset but can no longer use these, so at the moment I am stuck with a yoghurt and 6 nuts for most days however just purchased sainsbury specially for you porridge which is the large oat variety as this is supposed to be better for you. Would find it hard to eat veggies for breakfast so any ideas would be welcome.
I do so miss my bread but have found bergan soya and linseed bread goes a good way to fill this void however trying to limit to 2 slices a day.

Reactions: Prem51 and KezG

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Good morning @ Bellatom, 1st,welcome to the forumI will ask @daisy1 for the info pack for you,this will help you with the basic questions you may have,there are some very good food ideas in the what have you eaten today section and lots of recipes to,please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you further,clive

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Read the labels. It is the sugars and carbs we are trying to avoid so the bacon is probably a good choice. Eat to your meter is the mantra as we all react differently to foods.

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a little stuck for breakfast ideas as much as I would love bacon and eggs or omelettes every day I am aware of the bad publicity that surrounds bacon so limit my intake to two rashers once a week. Again with sausages & ham I worry about the high fat content of these as well as the stigma attached to eating processed meats. I have a cupboard full of porridge sachets and granola mainly dorset but can no longer use these, so at the moment I am stuck with a yoghurt and 6 nuts for most days however just purchased sainsbury specially for you porridge which is the large oat variety as this is supposed to be better for you. Would find it hard to eat veggies for breakfast so any ideas would be welcome.
I do so miss my bread but have found bergan soya and linseed bread goes a good way to fill this void however trying to limit to 2 slices a day.
well I am on a three day bacon and egg very low calorie and carb diet at the moment 2 meals per day, one egg, 2 bacon rashers, tomatoes mushrooms and spinach cooked in butter with a bullet proof coffee and cream and its helping my blood sugars a lot !

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have eggs and bacon most days as well as a very small amount of home-made muesli. I wouldn't worry too much about the saturated fat as fat itself is not a problem for cholesterol as long as you have mix of types and bear in mind that most of the cholesterol in your blood is made by the liver and not related to the fat you eat. It's said that bacon has preservatives that can be harmful. I guess this may be true but in sensible quantities it shouldn't be a problem.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I avoid processed meats as well.
The only way is to get a meter, and test after each meal, and see what you like, that you can tolerate.

Reactions: dbr10 and Bellatom

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get a granola from Sainsbury's called Rude Health is made with Spelt flakes, oats, coconut flakes, chia seeds and no refined sugar and it hardly raises my BG at all

Reactions: Prem51

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Bellatom,
I buy Hi-Lo bread at Sainsbury's. It is expensive at £1.70 for a small loaf but freezes well. It is based on soya flour and has 5g of carb per slice. This then extends breakfast to sardines, mackerel pate, nut butters avocado on toast etc.
My favourite breakfast is Colombian eggs: slice of toast with avocado topped with eggs scrambled with tomatoes and chilli. I do not eat meat so this is a good brunch dish. It is so yummy that I think I shall make it now!

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good morning @ Bellatom, 1st,welcome to the forumI will ask @daisy1 for the info pack for you,this will help you with the basic questions you may have,there are some very good food ideas in the what have you eaten today section and lots of recipes to,please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you further,clive

Thank you for your welcome and replying to my post.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Bellatom In your other thread I posted the basic information for newly diagnosed members. To make sure you see this, the link is in my signature below. I hope you will find it useful and interesting.

Reactions: Bellatom

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just read the 30 day bacon diet and its made me feel a whole lot better about my weekly 4 rashers of back bacon. As much as I love bacon I have a bp rate of around 120/85 so I have to be mindful of the sodium content but saying this will keep on with my cooked breakfast as losing weight will be more beneficial to my overall health and BP.
Once again thank you for your help.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I avoid processed meats as well.
The only way is to get a meter, and test after each meal, and see what you like, that you can tolerate.

I have a meter and I am using my fitness pal app to record everything I eat.
After all the good advice I have received since joining yesterday I have started logging my pre and 2 hour post meal glucose level and recording it on my fitness app so I can get a picture on what foods are better for me.
Feel so much better and positive this morning thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience with me. Thank you all.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs are good for breakfast, cooked any which way. You don't have to have bacon with them if you don't want to. You could also have a coffee with cream to help fill you up.

Reactions: dbr10 and Liam1955

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Bellatom,
I buy Hi-Lo bread at Sainsbury's. It is expensive at £1.70 for a small loaf but freezes well. It is based on soya flour and has 5g of carb per slice. This then extends breakfast to sardines, mackerel pate, nut butters avocado on toast etc.
My favourite breakfast is Colombian eggs: slice of toast with avocado topped with eggs scrambled with tomatoes and chilli. I do not eat meat so this is a good brunch dish. It is so yummy that I think I shall make it now!

I have been using the bergan soya snd linseed bread and limiting myself to just 2 slices, however will give this a go
Thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Then there are the Lidl high protein rolls of course. I am addicted to them. They have replaced other sorts of bread completely and are delicious sliced in half and toasted. Half a roll is generally sufficient with a meal as they are very filling. I smother mine in butter. Somewhere around 4 to 5 carbs per half, but stuffed with fibre.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I get a granola from Sainsbury's called Rude Health is made with Spelt flakes, oats, coconut flakes, chia seeds and no refined sugar and it hardly raises my BG at all
Sounds delicious so I looked it up on Sainsbury's site. Disappointed to see that it is falsely claiming Vegan Society approval despite containing honey. Perhaps an oversight so I have reported it. Thanks for the heads up. I would like to try something similar though, maybe in the summer when I don't fancy something warm in the mornings :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just read the 30 day bacon diet and its made me feel a whole lot better about my weekly 4 rashers of back bacon. As much as I love bacon I have a bp rate of around 120/85 so I have to be mindful of the sodium content but saying this will keep on with my cooked breakfast as losing weight will be more beneficial to my overall health and BP.
Once again thank you for your help.

The 30 day diet wasn't on supermarket bacon.
The author does seem to be into very high quality, organic food.

'When I ate only bacon for 30 days, I made sure it was the highest quality stuff I could find. It was pasture raised, antibiotic free, non-GMO and steroid free. It was also $11 – $12 per pound.'

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Then there are the Lidl high protein rolls of course. I am addicted to them. They have replaced other sorts of bread completely and are delicious sliced in half and toasted. Half a roll is generally sufficient with a meal as they are very filling. I smother mine in butter. Somewhere around 4 to 5 carbs per half, but stuffed with fibre.

Are these made fresh?Bluetit1802