Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes. Often when I pick mine up they are still warm. You will find them in the fresh bread baskets with the other sorts of rolls. Triangular, dark, full of seeds. They freeze well, but slice them before you freeze.

Lidl-high-protein-rolls-300x225.jpg

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I appreciate what you saying and I will definately go down the organic route but will only be keeping it to twice weekly.

Reactions: Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bellatom,
I buy Hi-Lo bread at Sainsbury's. It is expensive at £1.70 for a small loaf but freezes well. It is based on soya flour and has 5g of carb per slice. This then extends breakfast to sardines, mackerel pate, nut butters avocado on toast etc.
My favourite breakfast is Colombian eggs: slice of toast with avocado topped with eggs scrambled with tomatoes and chilli. I do not eat meat so this is a good brunch dish. It is so yummy that I think I shall make it now!

Fresh leaf spinach makes a surprisingly nice toast substitute - it allows you to fill the fork and it tastes very good too, espeically with a bit of balsamic vinegar and lemon flavoured olive oil !

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually store my bacon frozen, and when I want to eat some I put the solid chunk in the frying pan and pour on hot water from the kettle. I keep the water warm as the slices separate and for a couple of minutes after they are all separate I boil the water. That reduces the salt considerably and any other water soluble preservatives, I then sieve out the bacon and return it to the pan to finish cooking, adding mushrooms etc. which I then move to the plate and cook the eggs.
I have been low carbing for decades, on and off but mostly on - and have good blood pressure, my weight reduces and I have more energy and physical and mental well being. On doctor induced diets the opposite happens.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are these made fresh?Bluetit1802

'Baked for you throughout the day'

They're certainly made fresh somewhere, frozen, shipped to your local Lidl, then defrosted later in an oven instore.
All supermarkets have the same distribution for 'fresh' bread.

Reactions: dbr10

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To Avocado Sevenfold. Dorset do a spelt muesli which doesn't raise my BS. Sainsbury don't sell it; I get mine from Booths, but they only exist in the north.
I'm not sure about its vegan status, but it's worth checking out.
Margaret

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of different low carb recipes for different muesli style options (try googling Low Carb Cinnamon Crunch and then go click happy investigating the different options).

There are also recipes for Keto muffins and Keto mug cakes, crustless quiches and so on.

One of my favourites is chopped avocado, diced tomato, spring onion with an egg cracked over it. Garlic and chilli optional extras. Bake in oven until egg is cooked, with or without a cheese topping.

Edited for about 50 typos!

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

To Avocado Sevenfold. Dorset do a spelt muesli which doesn't raise my BS. Sainsbury don't sell it; I get mine from Booths, but they only exist in the north.
I'm not sure about its vegan status, but it's worth checking out.
Margaret
Is that the one I found online with dried pineapple pieces in it? I couldn't be trusted with dried pineapple :oops: Too delicious, but thanks for the inspiration. I managed to cobble together a muesli-ish breakfast today using nuts, seeds, ginger and a strawberry. That should keep me going for a while. Photo here

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think so. It's only a tiny bit of pineapple. A tablespoon of the muesli mixed with a tablespoon of Collective Yoghurt and a few berries, and my bs doesn't increase at all.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make the Rose Elliot granola which is on the web, modified a bit.
I went to Lidl this morning and got 6 protein rolls, alas my local Lidl is still only doing the super-small variety so i normally need more than 1 for a meal.

Last edited:

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you for all your info I am off to Sainsbury's and Lidl first thing tomorrow morning.
I am so happy I found this forum

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm late to the party here, but as someone who can't face a cooked breakfast regularly, I'm currently having coconut porridge through the winter. I've adapted the recipe to exclude sweetener as I prefer mine unsweetened, and I add a spoonful of chia seeds to thicken, then top with a few fresh blueberries or strawberries once cooked. Here's the original recipe

• ¼ cup desiccated coconut
  • ¼ cup cream
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • Xylitol to sprinkle (optional)
  • ground cinnamon to sprinkle
  • knob of butter to serve
  • extra cream to serve

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Then there are the Lidl high protein rolls of course. I am addicted to them. They have replaced other sorts of bread completely and are delicious sliced in half and toasted. Half a roll is generally sufficient with a meal as they are very filling. I smother mine in butter. Somewhere around 4 to 5 carbs per half, but stuffed with fibre.

Been to Lidl for the protein rolls tried 1 and they are fabulous. I must be a greedy sod as I ate the whole roll with a banana, however I had'nt eaten since 7.30 so come 3'o'clock was starving.
Can you freeze them or as I brought 2 will the remaining one still be fresh tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Thank you for your welcome and replying to my post.