Sainsbury's have got the message!

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
True, she might have slapped you.

Not all low fat dieters are overweight, not all low carbers aren't overweight.
It's worth remembering before judging people by how they look.
I'm pretty sure the food was for her and she was definitely very overweight so I can only see that what she was eating - low fat foods - was contributing to her excess weight. I'm sure she did not want to be that size - she did not look comfortable and was definitely checking labels - you don't do that if you are happy with your size. I have yet to see an overweight person as a result of low carb high fat diet - do you have pictures? i don't doubt she could lose weight on a low fat diet but she will be hungry as she would have to reduce calories to do it that way. Low carb high fat allows you to lose weight without hunger.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm pretty sure the food was for her and she was definitely very overweight so I can only see that what she was eating - low fat foods - was contributing to her excess weight. I'm sure she did not want to be that size - she did not look comfortable and was definitely checking labels - you don't do that if you are happy with your size. I have yet to see an overweight person as a result of low carb high fat diet - do you have pictures? i don't doubt she could lose weight on a low fat diet but she will be hungry as she would have to reduce calories to do it that way. Low carb high fat allows you to lose weight without hunger.

Sorry, way too judgmental for me.
So, any LCHF member on here is simply getting it wrong if they are?

Many things lead to being overweight.
I can only assume you aren't and found it easy.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, way too judgmental for me.
So, any LCHF member on here is simply getting it wrong if they are?

Many things lead to being overweight.
I can only assume you aren't and found it easy.

As everyone I have ever talked to who has followed LCHF has successfully lost weight and improved their health in many ways ,my only concern was that I felt I could have helped this lady when she was fairly obviously hoping to lose weight else why would she be buying the low fat/ no fat foods and studying the labels. people happy with their weight/health do not study the labels. I could have pointed her in the direction of LCHF /dietdoctor.com (as I have for anyone who has asked me how i lost weight and my son lost weight and my husband lost weight etc etc.) Like most people who are told by the NHS and current societal norms that low fat is healthy I am assuming that she is trying to be healthy. Is it wrong of me to feel I would have liked to help her.? Can you show me anyone who has failed to lose some weight on LCHF (they may still be overweight but are certainly unlikely to be gaining it and are most likely losing it)? Can you show me anyone who has successfully reversed diabetes by following the NHS guidelines as I have looked and looked and have yet to find a single person who has? By contrast there are hundreds of thousands who have been helped by LCHF. I felt sad that this lady could have been helped and wasn't getting it. I'm not blaming her for being overweight but sad that she doesn't have the proper information to change that.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As everyone I have ever talked to who has followed LCHF has successfully lost weight and improved their health in many ways ,my only concern was that I felt I could have helped this lady when she was fairly obviously hoping to lose weight else why would she be buying the low fat/ no fat foods and studying the labels. people happy with their weight/health do not study the labels. I could have pointed her in the direction of LCHF /dietdoctor.com (as I have for anyone who has asked me how i lost weight and my son lost weight and my husband lost weight etc etc.) Like most people who are told by the NHS and current societal norms that low fat is healthy I am assuming that she is trying to be healthy. Is it wrong of me to feel I would have liked to help her.? Can you show me anyone who has failed to lose some weight on LCHF (they may still be overweight but are certainly unlikely to be gaining it and are most likely losing it)? Can you show me anyone who has successfully reversed diabetes by following the NHS guidelines as I have looked and looked and have yet to find a single person who has? By contrast there are hundreds of thousands who have been helped by LCHF. I felt sad that this lady could have been helped and wasn't getting it. I'm not blaming her for being overweight but sad that she doesn't have the proper information to change that.

Sorry, not buying into fat people eat their way to be fat.
Way too simplistic.

As to reversed diabetes.
Yes, me, reversed, NHS and me, as a team, reversed.
Have you reversed it by rubbishing their advise?
Can you eat carbs now?
Just asking.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm pretty sure the food was for her and she was definitely very overweight so I can only see that what she was eating - low fat foods - was contributing to her excess weight. I'm sure she did not want to be that size - she did not look comfortable and was definitely checking labels - you don't do that if you are happy with your size.

Have you considered the possibility that she'd already lost some weight or she was just embarking on a weight loss diet?

I tend to agree with Douglas that we shouldn't be too judgemental when we see overweight people as we don't always know the full story.

Reactions: zand

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Actually, you've wound me up.
A lot!
You've seen someone in a supermarket, and you have no idea of her background.
Then you feel you have a right to pass judgement on the 'fat person'
She may have lost 10 stone plus already, but because she is overweight compared to you, you've rubbished her efforts.
And she uses a walking stick, she is in some way to be pitied as she is a failure?
For all you know, last year she could have been on a mobility scooter.

For your information, I lost at least a quarter of my body weight on a low fat diet, and then reversed my type 2 on the Newcastle diet.
So when you beat that, then you can feel smug enough to harass a total stranger in a supermarket, who you don't know, and who may well have dropped more than your entire body weight already!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And before I get banned, get the 'very overweight, walking stick, looking at labels' women to say she should be judged simply on a walk by from a complete stranger!

Reactions: zand

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And before I get banned, get the 'very overweight, walking stick, looking at labels' women to say she should be judged simply on a walk by from a complete stranger!
Oh for goodness sake - don't be so stupid. Why are you on a a low carb high fat forum if you don't believe in it;s power to help people? I wasn't judging her or anything. Indeed she may have lost some weight who knows but i'm not wrong in saying she was very overweight and she was buying low fat diet foods. I feel that was probably down to bad advice from NHS who are still advising people to eat high carb low fat. Yes you can lose weight on a low fat diet but the huge majority of people will attest to how hard it is and how it means hunger and deprivation as does a low calorie diet - not to mention the problems that can cause with metabolism.
I was wanting to help - should I be apologising for feeling i'd like to help more people lose weight in a way which has been well proven and is easy to do compared to low fat and low calorie diets. Well forgive me if i am a nice person and no I don't appreciate your sweeping judgements of me. I was not rubbishing her efforts, simply wishing I could offer her an easier way. Perhaps you want everyone to suffer to lose weight by being hungry all the time. Congrats on your weight loss and type 2 reversal but once again why are you on the LCHF forum threads if you don't believe in it as you very obviously don't?
And the low calorie Newcastle diet while successful is not usually promoted by NHS at all. Most of us get told to eat low fat high carbs - in fact starchy carbs with every meal and low fat everything was their advice. And where did I ever say she'd eaten her way to being fat. IF that 's what you read in to my post then I maybe did not express what I meant very well. Believe me I know there are many reasons to gain weight. I also know how easy and successful LCHF was for me and everyone I've come actress who has followed it. Sadly losing over 10% of my bodyweight did not cure my carb intolerance but since it turns out my body reacts badly to carbs whatever, I am very happy on the LCHF diet. I was not judging her or thinking she made herself fat and no I don't know whether she'd lost weight before or was in a wheelchair but this is a LCHF thread so really it's only to be expected that we think it's the best way for people and would like to spread the message to people we see who could be helped. My point was I was wishing there was an easy way to get the LCHF message out to people who want to lose weight. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I follow lchf and I'm awaiting bariatric surgery. I have other health problems but I've had diabetes symptoms for 40yrs+. I have used numerous diets and starvation with excessive exercise. Nope diet is just a portion of management. Not everyone has had diabetes a few months!

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow lchf and I'm awaiting bariatric surgery. I have other health problems but I've had diabetes symptoms for 40yrs+. I have used numerous diets and starvation with excessive exercise. Nope diet is just a portion of management. Not everyone has had diabetes a few months!
I think everyone is misinterpreting what my point was which was basically just that due to the continuing low fat message then you see a lot of people trying to lose weight by low fat diets. My wish was for there to be an easy way to help them to understand that it's not about the fat or the calories but indeed it's a lot more complicated but that low carb high fat has worked for thousands and thousands of people. Of course there will always be people who have other problems that mean it may not be possible to follow such a diet or that it is less successful for them but I was not really talking about her specifically - it was a general point about what you get in supermarkets and what people look to because of the whole low fat mantra that's been ingrained over the years.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh for goodness sake - don't be so stupid. Why are you on a a low carb high fat forum if you don't believe in it;s power to help people? I wasn't judging her or anything. Indeed she may have lost some weight who knows but i'm not wrong in saying she was very overweight and she was buying low fat diet foods. I feel that was probably down to bad advice from NHS who are still advising people to eat high carb low fat. Yes you can lose weight on a low fat diet but the huge majority of people will attest to how hard it is and how it means hunger and deprivation as does a low calorie diet - not to mention the problems that can cause with metabolism.
I was wanting to help - should I be apologising for feeling i'd like to help more people lose weight in a way which has been well proven and is easy to do compared to low fat and low calorie diets. Well forgive me if i am a nice person and no I don't appreciate your sweeping judgements of me. I was not rubbishing her efforts, simply wishing I could offer her an easier way. Perhaps you want everyone to suffer to lose weight by being hungry all the time. Congrats on your weight loss and type 2 reversal but once again why are you on the LCHF forum threads if you don't believe in it as you very obviously don't?
And the low calorie Newcastle diet while successful is not usually promoted by NHS at all. Most of us get told to eat low fat high carbs - in fact starchy carbs with every meal and low fat everything was their advice. And where did I ever say she'd eaten her way to being fat. IF that 's what you read in to my post then I maybe did not express what I meant very well. Believe me I know there are many reasons to gain weight. I also know how easy and successful LCHF was for me and everyone I've come actress who has followed it. Sadly losing over 10% of my bodyweight did not cure my carb intolerance but since it turns out my body reacts badly to carbs whatever, I am very happy on the LCHF diet. I was not judging her or thinking she made herself fat and no I don't know whether she'd lost weight before or was in a wheelchair but this is a LCHF thread so really it's only to be expected that we think it's the best way for people and would like to spread the message to people we see who could be helped. My point was I was wishing there was an easy way to get the LCHF message out to people who want to lose weight. I don't see that as a bad thing.
Stupid?
good job you never said anything, you may have finished up in A&E with your tact.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think everyone is misinterpreting what my point was which was basically just that due to the continuing low fat message then you see a lot of people trying to lose weight by low fat diets. My wish was for there to be an easy way to help them to understand that it's not about the fat or the calories but indeed it's a lot more complicated but that low carb high fat has worked for thousands and thousands of people. Of course there will always be people who have other problems that mean it may not be possible to follow such a diet or that it is less successful for them but I was not really talking about her specifically - it was a general point about what you get in supermarkets and what people look to because of the whole low fat mantra that's been ingrained over the years.

nope, you're judgmental, and self righteous, and you judge people solely on looks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can we stop this sniping? It's possible to,disagree civilly.

Further rudeness from any member here may result in a thread ban.

Reactions: BeccyB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Please can we stop this sniping? It's possible to,disagree civilly.

Further rudeness from any member here may result in a thread ban.

I can live with a thread ban, so long as I go out supporting someone isn't even aware of being commented on.
It certainly wouldn't be my first time.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can live with a thread ban, so long as I go out supporting someone isn't even aware of being commented on.

I don't want to ban anyone @douglas99 But it's not pleasant for other members to read unpleasant comments.

It's possible to,support this lady without getting into,a slanging match. That comment applies to all here.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for goodness sake - don't be so stupid. Why are you on a a low carb high fat forum if you don't believe in it;s power to help people?

Just two comments:

Firstly,
This forum is not a low carb high fat forum.
It is a support forum for diabetics (all types, all ways of treatment, all ways of eating).
This thread is in the low carb section of the forum, but the forum rules specifically state that anyone can post on any thread. So type 2s can post on type 1 threads (and vice versa) and non low carbers are free to contribute to low carb threads. Providing they conform to the other forum rules on behaviour, of course.

And secondly, I have eaten low carb for decades, and very low carb for years. I am less obese than I used to be, and my health improves every time I lower my carbs. Yet i am still obese and at my current weight loss, i will be obese for a few more years. It both amuses and irritates me that people see butter, bacon and double cream in my shopping trolley, and ignorantly judge me.

I don't object to their ignorance. I most definitely object to their judgementalism. It doesn't matter a jot what that judgement is about. High fat. Low fat. High carb. Low carb. The judgement is far more toxic than the food choices.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree with you Seadragon. For very many years, I was a fat woman in the supermarket seeking my low fat foods whilst hoping that THIS time it might work but knowing in my heart of hearts it would all fall apart eventually. Knowing what I know now, I wish with all my heart that someone who had succeeded on a low carb diet had taken the time to stop and me talk to me about what they had done. I wish that I had not spent twenty years failing to get anywhere much yet believing I was doing the right thing for me. I too find myself wanting to say something to a woman I see doing the same thing I did, and I also am nervous that the person would take things the wrong way when what I really want to do is not judge in the slightest, but just give someone an option they won't know about.

My freinds comment not just on the weight loss but also the condition of my skin and hair, I have lost 4 stones so far very easily , though I still have more to go, so its too early to say - this has " worked" for me especially in the longer term. However even though only half way there, I am happier and healthier than I have been in years.

So far I have been in convo's with at least a dozen people who from their own comments I know would benefit from LCHF, but we are all too politically correct to be able to pass on the message without fear of upsetting someone.

If it does work for me, then I have every intention of getting a badge reading "I used to be 18 stone" and wearing it with pride in the supermarket and some cards made up - with a picture of the new me and new weight and directions to find LCHF dieting on the front and the old me with a big skull and cross bones and low fat dieting on the back, so that when it happens again I can hand it out secure in the knowledge that at least I tried!.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Unfortunately lchf follows mainly stay hidden whilst they attacking their weight problem due to fat in their trolley stigma!
True.
I couldnt care less. I eat in front of people all the time. Especially in the working environment, I lose more eating to my meter and ignoring criticism from idiots. They don't have my health problems/diseases. One day they might and luckily for them they'll remember the fat lass eating to her meter and being very very HAPPY.
Ignorance is everywhere. I'm ignorant of some things too. You cannot know everything!
I have noticed no low fat adverts on tv recently, normally bombarded. I feel for the low fat cheese company. They must have spent some money on it.
Well I might need low fat cheese one day, if I lose too much weight so who am I to judge.
Life has a way of changing on you!

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi which soup is that from Aldi please, I'd like to get some. Thanks

Do they do other flavours as I have had heinz oxtail or mulligtawny but quite high in salt, since finding lidl's high protein rolls trying to find a good soup to go with the roll.

Do you mean when they're previously spiralised and packaged for an extortionate price? Handy for a one-off but really taking the pee. ;)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Bellatom

Mr C loves Lidl's Tomato and Basil soup from their chilled fresh range. :)

Reactions: Bellatom