How do you dose for coffee?

jessirene

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a hard time taking the right dose for drinks. Coffee is something you drink slowly and I'm curious how you dose for it. I'm supposed to take 1unit for every 10 carbs. I worry that if I dose for the whole before I drink it, that I will drop low before I finish it or if I dose after I drink it, I will be high.

Reactions: Freema

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have a hard time taking the right dose for drinks. Coffee is something you drink slowly and I'm curious how you dose for it. I'm supposed to take 1unit for every 10 carbs. I worry that if I dose for the whole before I drink it, that I will drop low before I finish it or if I dose after I drink it, I will be high.
WHat sort of coffee are you drinking? White filter coffee doesn't really have any carbs worth worrying about.

Reactions: Freema

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take nothing for coffee.......

If I have a latte or something like that I would dose for that, usually about 15-20g or carbs in that...

jessirene

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually drink a french vanilla cappuccino.
Does regular coffee not have carbs? I thought it did.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It's a drink I've not tried but I'd imagine it must contain sugar so your wise to bolus for it.

Fast-acting insulin's take around 15 mins before they start to take effect, depending on how quick you drink your coffee it shouldn't be a problem if you bolus beforehand (if say you like your coffee hot,) if you like to let the coffee cool then you could bolus 5-10 mins after making the it, best bet is just to experiment and see how you get on.

Normal coffee has no carbs unless you likely your coffee really milky, but the carbs from a splash of milk should have a negligible effect on bg levels and I certainly don't bolus for coffee.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I usually count a small Cappucino as 10g but I don't have syrup. If you're having your coffee in a chain coffee shop you might find the carb info online.

Normal coffee - ie with a small amount of milk - I don't bolus for because the carbs are minimal.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Not for coffee, only dose for milk.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

I'm sure that has a pretty good amount of sugar. I can almost taste it just reading it...lol.

I'd find out how much, so you know what you are dealing with and can then figure out the dose for that. You might be able to find out googling (A rough idea) if you buy that while out and about and can't get an answer from whomever makes it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
coffee is considered carb free. I drink mine with double cream and count it as 0 carbs. You would need to interrogate the supplier of your drink as some can contain quite a significant amount of sugar.