Medtronic 640g

tircoed

Hi I'm looking for advise about the Medtronic 640g,,at the moment I have an Omnipod, I have a meeting on Monday with my consultant as my diabetic Nurse wants my to have a Dexcom CGM but im not sure I will get funding for it
She did say if I could not get funding could look at the Medtronic as it has a CGM along side the pump, can anyone who is on one tell me what they are like, also I went for the Omnipod because it has no tubing,what is it like having the pump with you all the time.

Thanks in advance

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think @Juicyj has a Medtronic.

If you're going to have a Dexcom, could you also have the Animas Vibe pump which is compatible with Dexcom? I have the Vibe (but not Dexcom). I had a choice between the Vibe and the Medtronic, and chose the Vibe for a number of reasons, one being that the associated CGM sounded better from all the reviews I'd read online.

I find tubed pumps absolutely fine. In fact, I,prefer them as I can wear my pump in numerous different places, depending on what I'm wearing. I also like the choice of sets and cannulas.

tircoed

Thanks for the information, i will ask tomorrow about Animas, the nurse just said she does not think they will pay for a pump and CGM i think this is why she said about the Medtronic because it has a CGM,do you find it OK sleeping,where do you put the pump.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is a new medtronic cgm available which is a stand alone. Callec the Guardian.

Available as of dec 1 2016. I should find out tomorrow about getting mine and its funded short term for 3 months. I do have exceptional culircumstances for funding.....

It works direct to an iphone apparently. Your DSN should be aware of this new CGM?????

tircoed

Thanks for the information, so i could carry on with my Omnipod and have a Medtronic CGM if i can get funding

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the information, i will ask tomorrow about Animas, the nurse just said she does not think they will pay for a pump and CGM i think this is why she said about the Medtronic because it has a CGM,do you find it OK sleeping,where do you put the pump.

I have no problem sleeping :) Since I've had my pump, ive slept a lot better due to the smoother sugars. I usually clip my pump to my nightclothes or use a soft belt and case, which is very comfortable. I honestly don't notice my pump at all.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @tircoed - wearing the 640g with tubing is no issue at all for me, I wear a pump belt so keep it tucked in there and use the shortest length tubing so it doesn't hang out, I couldn't get funding for the CGM was told it wasn't available for me, so just use the 640g as a pump and from time to time self fund the Libre when I need to monitor for adjustments. Do you have special funding for the CGM ?

Reactions: azure

tircoed

Sorry to ask so many questions but I thought the 640 came with I CGM is the CGM separate. Yes since gong on the pump im going very low before i have hypo signs so i was put on the Dexcom which alarms when i go low.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@tircoed The CGM doesn't come with the pump, so unless you are granted special funding or are prepared to self fund then you would only be getting the pump. You would have a case for funding if you have no hypo awareness but you will need to check with your team if you can get this, my trust wasn't prepared to fund mine but then I didn't have much of a case.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The new guardian sensor is a standalone sensor that works independent to any pump.

tircoed

The consultant has given me a 640g to try, if i like it i can change to it from the Omnipod, like the idea that if my sugars go low then it stops insulin delivery and restarts when sugars return to normal.

tircoed

Yes it looks like it they would like me to go on the Medtronic because it is cheaper than the Omipod and the Dexcom, but i do a lot of sports so trying it out.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it looks like it they would like me to go on the Medtronic because it is cheaper than the Omipod and the Dexcom, but i do a lot of sports so trying it out.

Lucky that you're getting funding for the CGM part of the pump system too. Not many areas do that - or at least not for very many people.

I don't know what sports you do, but hopefully you'll get on fine :)

tircoed

Can anyone tell me if the CGM with the Medtronic 640 shows low or high reading do you still have to test you bloods.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone tell me if the CGM with the Medtronic 640 shows low or high reading do you still have to test you bloods.
You program in the limits (high and or low) and the pump alerts you that you're approaching the limit and tells you to test your BG.