Lunch cauliflower cheese
Level before dinner 4.8

I love low carb

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't test this morning and I had my six monthly bloods and urine tests (I will know if my LCHF diet has continued to have a positive effect in a week - if it hasn't I'm going to commiserate with a beer).

Today I started with a couple of left over sausages and a little black pudding. Lunch was an egg salad with lots of green leafy things, a little cheese, several black olives all drenched in olive oil (I love it!)

My evening meal depends on what my wife cooks, but as she's been defrosting some minced beef, it looks like a chilli or meatballs or something similar. I won't eat any rice with a chilli or potatoes with meatballs, in fact, I'll only consume something low carb or nothing at all added to the dishes mentioned.

Oh, forgot, I had a fruit yogurt with lunch.....and the metformin and gliclazide with breakfast......metformin with lunch.....and more of both with my evening meal this evening.

I'm going to make myself feel more human later on with a glass of red wine or scotch, and blow the consequences!

Reactions: Freema

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Did a bit of gentle wood chopping today and felt I needed an energy boost after. I had a smoothie with a half banana, sunflower seeds, chia/flax, pecans and almond milk.
BS after 2 hours was 6.5 - but I've been higher than normal due to pills, I think.
Doing lunch now - a thick, warming black bean soup, with an Ewelina cheesy biscuit, split and fried in butter, instead of bread.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not had pasta for nearly 2 years so on Tuesday I decided to try the "resistant starch" method.
I cooked a decent portion of past (linguine), gave it a quick rinse and then once cold, popped it in the fridge.
Yesterday, I made a tomato based sauce and chucked the cold pasta in to warm up.
Blood glucose reading prior to eating: 5.0
After one hour: 5.1
After 2 hours: 5.0
Pasta was in the fridge for about 14 hours.

That's enough carbs for this week so next week I will have a go with some new potatoes in their skins.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Lots of you put on the forum foods you eat and recipes that are LCHF why not tell others how you made the recipe or LCHF meals you eat. This would help many others who struggle to work out what to eat,you are inventive and I'm sure you have favourites that you have worked out the LCHF content and found they work for you so come on share the knowledge.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of you put on the forum foods you eat and recipes that are LCHF why not tell others how you made the recipe or LCHF meals you eat. This would help many others who struggle to work out what to eat,you are inventive and I'm sure you have favourites that you have worked out the LCHF content and found they work for you so come on share the knowledge.
Hi there, a few low carb recipes in this section http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/#food-and-nutrition.28

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon I had for breakfast at approximately 5am 40g of porridgr and raspberries+26g of Carbs

at 9am one Lidl roll cut in half with 2 poached eggs=10g Carbs

At 1pm I am having Yellow Haddock with a very small portion of mash plus Brussels /Broccoli/Cauliflower=30Carbs,with a sprinkling of apple cider vinegar which is cooking at the moment.

So far my BGL has remained between 4.9 and 5.3 up till now

My average FBG readings for the month of January is 3.844

Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't usually eat until after 11am
12 noon - 1 Lidl roll sliced into 4 (I freeze them to make this easier) to make 2 x egg mayonaise sandwiches.
Afternoon snack - 1 x Baby Belle cheese, 2 x brazil nuts, 3 x pieces pork scratching.
Dinner tonight is home made spicy veg soup out of the freezer zizzed up with half a red onion, mushrooms, chorizo and fresh herbs.

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
b. half a lidl hign protein roll with tunia an sweetcorn .
l.chicken breast done in cornmeal,carrots,cauliflour,brussel sprouts.
d. 1 whole lidl high protein roll, whole earth peanut butter
coffee throught the day

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far, Ive had a pint of warm water (6am), with some creatine in it (recommended amount) followed by a bullet proof coffee shortly after.

Before work I made myself a grilled high quality butcher sausage (best ones I can get) and two slices of quality butchers bacon, with fried eggs (small olive oil) and two mushrooms, with a farmers market tomato (I love visiting the market for my produce, and eat this most days around 11am)

To snack on in the day I take a small (silly small in fact) banana (not always though mind as I know they have some sugar content) and a couple of apples, which get me by between 8am - 5pm. I also have a whey isolate protein shake, with milk & water 40/60, which ties in with the weights & resistance training I do first thing.

I used to eat oats when I woke and it took so long for the penny to drop that eating low carb made me feel clear headed & happier in myself, I'd have a sandwich later on too and generally didnt feel right at all, seems crazy now :)

My diet above for the average day is a lot better than I used to have, no afternoon chocolate to boost me, no fizzy things (neither of which I had very often but still, they are no longer options at all) no bread, or any kind of refined/carb.

How does it all sound to you guys please? - Im keen and open to feedback, I think the weakest part is the fruit but keen to learn more.

Many thanks in advance :)

Reactions: hognose

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So far, Ive had a pint of warm water (6am), with some creatine in it (recommended amount) followed by a bullet proof coffee shortly after.

Before work I made myself a grilled high quality butcher sausage (best ones I can get) and two slices of quality butchers bacon, with fried eggs (small olive oil) and two mushrooms, with a farmers market tomato (I love visiting the market for my produce, and eat this most days around 11am)

To snack on in the day I take a small (silly small in fact) banana (not always though mind as I know they have some sugar content) and a couple of apples, which get me by between 8am - 5pm. I also have a whey isolate protein shake, with milk & water 40/60, which ties in with the weights & resistance training I do first thing.

I used to eat oats when I woke and it took so long for the penny to drop that eating low carb made me feel clear headed & happier in myself, I'd have a sandwich later on too and generally didnt feel right at all, seems crazy now :)

My diet above for the average day is a lot better than I used to have, no afternoon chocolate to boost me, no fizzy things (neither of which I had very often but still, they are no longer options at all) no bread, or any kind of refined/carb.

How does it all sound to you guys please? - Im keen and open to feedback, I think the weakest part is the fruit but keen to learn more.

Many thanks in advance :)
i test after all meals ,and i try not to snack atall, bought carbs & cals book that really helps.

b. 2 slices of toast with tunia an sweetcorn .
d. pork steaks carrots,cauliflour, brussel sprouts,
coffee throught the day

Last edited:
Reactions: bkr

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Porridge for breakfast
Ham&cheese sandwich for elevenses.
5 small chicken drumsticks for lunch.
Curry & veg for dinner.
Tongue, cherry tomatoes & yogurt for late snack.

103 GM carbs
1750 calories

BG levels in normal range throughout the day.

Edited for typo in calorie count.

Last edited:

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i am trying to stick to 850ish cals and 60-80 carbs

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B: Chilli frank omlette,
L: Egg and bulgar wheat salad (waitrose) which was quite nice and not too high in carb.
D: Pork loin in mustard sauce with creamed spinach.

900 calories and about 30g of carb which is quite high for me, sugars 5 this morning & 5 before dinner :)

Last edited:

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i test after all meals ,and i try not to snack atall, bought carbs & cals book that really helps.

b. 2 slices of toast with tunia an sweetcorn .
d. pork steaks carrots,cauliflour, brussel sprouts,
coffee throught the day

Some good ones there, you do well not snacking, I do find that hard if Im peckish for whatever reason. Lugging things about at work sometimes makes me hungry. Coffee is a win-win!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Breakfast: 1 slice smoked Parma ham type meat
Scrambled egg thrown in bin as husband made it rock hard! Don't tell him I did that!

Lunch: Large salad plate, rocket leaves, 2 baby tomatoes, small handful lg prawns, cucumber, 2 small strawberries, few blueberries, boiled egg and 1/2 avocado.

Tea: Small water buffalo steak, mushrooms and onion in creamy whisky (small amount) sauce with asparagus and peas in their shells

Is that ok for Lchf diet.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
12 noon - first meal of the day.
I Lidl roll sliced into 4 to make 2 sandwiches containing;
butter, Full fat philly cheese, tomato, cucumber, beetroot and spinach.

Tonight - dinner out celebrating a birthday - always tricky but I guess that Greek salad will be involved. Pudding will be Merlot.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
To day 5am breakfasr 49g of porridge/Raspberries

9am 1 Lidl's roll(toasted) sliced in half two poached eggs

1pm lunch 4 Heck sausages,half a tin of tomatoes,broccoli.mushrooms

5pm 1 Lidl's roll toasted topped with sardines

that's my lot until tomorrow;)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To day 5am breakfasr 49g of porridge/Raspberries

9am 1 Lidl's roll(toasted) sliced in half two poached eggs

1pm lunch 4 Heck sausages,half a tin of tomatoes,broccoli.mushrooms

5pm 1 Lidl's roll toasted topped with sardines

that's my lot until tomorrow;)
Had to look up "Heck sausages" so thanks for mentioning them.

Our local butcher makes "gluten free" sausages - 97% pork but will give the Heck ones a go.
Harrogate sausages are 97% pork an gluten free also.