Insulin pumps

Dance1963

Type of diabetes
Type 1
are theese pumps comfortable on 24 hours a day how are they when sleeping with them on seems there are a lot restrictions when u way up pros and cons would like hear from people with them ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

Endofthesky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I use the Omnipod pump and you can move it all over the body.

I don't notice it's on really. I have ah yes forgotten when taking my tshirt off and pulled it but it stays where it is...

I really recommend it!!

Reactions: Snapsy

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you forget its there most the time, the cannula's you cant feel at all even if you are lying on them.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
are theese pumps comfortable on 24 hours a day how are they when sleeping with them on seems there are a lot restrictions when u way up pros and cons would like hear from people with them ?

Restrictions? I can't think of a single one : D I love my pump!

I've had a pump for approximately 13 years and I'd never give it back! It gave me back my freedom and made me feel like me again.

I don't notice it at all - not day or night. It clips to my belt or hangs under my arm or goes in a soft belt/case :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My pump is the Omnipod which is a tubeless pump, comfort wise I barely notice the Pod and on a night I just make sure that I don't lay on the side where the Pod is positioned.

Pro's and con's, IMHO the pro's far outweigh the con's and most pump users would agree, however insulin pumps are not for everyone and we have had members who have changed to pump therapy and didn't like it and have moved back to injections.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Dance1963 and thanks @himtoo for the tag.

My pump has LIFTED my restrictions. I have a new lease of life! My MASSIVE regret to do with pumping is that I didn't look into it sooner.

I've had it for a year and a bit, and I LOVE it. It's second nature to me now. My pump has a tube and it doesn't bother me at all. It's not nearly as much as I big deal as I'd feared.

My diabetes centre lent me an old tubed pump for a couple of weeks before my funding was agreed to see how I fared with wearing it, disconnecting to swim and shower, finding out about how it felt during the day and at night. It was a massive education - it was very dealable-with.

I LOVE my pump!

Love Snapsy
:)

BobCornelius

I've been pumping with the Animas Vibe since Sept 15! I love it to bits! It is waterproof, so I have been swimming with it on, I disconnect for a bath just because I like a hot bath, but hot insulin isn't good.
I wear my pump on the outside, clipped on a pocket or similar, and in a pouch overnight. It's life changing! I use my abdomen and upper legs for cannula sites ( which are painless to insert), and change every 3 days!

Reactions: himtoo

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I don't notice mine unless I'm not wearing a bra. At that point my pump is stored in a wee pouch (like you'd put a mobile in) around my neck so if I lean forward I feel the weight. If I roll over at night sometimes I feel it press in but mostly I'm unaware of the pump while its connected to me. That is the least of things to be concerned about. I was worried when I started but honestly, you forget that it is there.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I only take mine off when showering. I actually sleep on it if thats the side my canular is. I use a spibelt to contain the pump whilst sleeping.

Regards

Martin

S

Smammer

Hi @Dance1963
a warm welcome to the forum !! :)

I was in your mind frame before I got a pump !!

I have worn one for 17 months now and I almost never notice it !!

am tagging some other pump users to come along and say hello !!

@azure , @Snapsy , @Juicyj , @noblehead , @-beckyb93- , @Type1Lad
I have been on a pump for 15years and now at 70 I am having my first encounter of trying to contol my sugar levels because i am trying to lose weight on a low card diet but struggle with grammes and carbs any ideas. With regards the gentleman who wore a pump in bed as ido I have LONG INFUSION LINES WHICH JUST FOLLOW ME ROUNG IN THE BED TOSSING AND TURNING NEVER A PROBLEM finally i have been informed by primary care thar when the pump expires after the three year life which the Roche do not maimtain they will not br replaceibg the pump (cost cutting) therefore we have to hope it keeps going trouble free