So beans don't require insulin?

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My OH was also told to substitute them for another veg or eat beans on a jacket potato (yuk!) for lunch. When, on my advice, as he doesn't have a clue about food values, he asked her about the sugar in them he was told it was a different type of sugar and the beans will counteract it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH was also told to substitute them for another veg or eat beans on a jacket potato (yuk!) for lunch. When, on my advice, as he doesn't have a clue about food values, he asked her about the sugar in them he was told it was a different type of sugar and the beans will counteract it.

At my very first DN appointment I was also told to eat a baked potato with baked beans for lunch. There was a glossy colour photo of this meal in the booklet she gave me.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe people are still being advised to eat baked beans. My mother was diagnosed as diabetic in 2002 and was told then to eat baked beans, bananas, bread & potatoes, not forgetting to eat plenty of fruit & veg. At the time she was having problems with her eyesight. Every hospital appointment she was told her eyesight is getting worse and would continue to do so unless she got her blood sugar under control & accused of "cheating" & "must be eating sweets & chocolate " by the time she had the courage to ignore the "experts" and got her sugar levels under control it was too late to stop her going blind. Do they realise how damaging their advice is?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this should deter those that are still enthusiastic about our little orange mates (no, not Donald)..
38017B9800000578-3777529-image-m-19_1473239592565.jpg

Found in a tin of beans bought in Peterlee.....Yummy! (not). Looks similar to what was served up on the mining ship Nostromo, prior to Mr. Hurt's case of indigestion......"In space, no-one can hear you fart...."

Ewwww What is that ? :yuck:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Good grief, that's not only incompetent but on the cusp of fraudulent. No wonder obesity and D2 are at epidemic levels when the advice is not only poor, but actively contributes.

Someone has to be held account. The Government, probably. Food and pharmaceutical industries, almost certainly. They both have a financial interest in the status quo.

Reactions: Eurobuff

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And this should deter those that are still enthusiastic about our little orange mates (no, not Donald)..
38017B9800000578-3777529-image-m-19_1473239592565.jpg

Found in a tin of beans bought in Peterlee.....Yummy! (not). Looks similar to what was served up on the mining ship Nostromo, prior to Mr. Hurt's case of indigestion......"In space, no-one can hear you fart...."

Nasty! Straight out the airlock... Did it have "acid for blood." Or did it actually bolus for the baked beans.... ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really quite thankful that I had decades of trying to do low carb for weightloss interspersed with numerous attempts to lose weight under the guidance of others either at slimming clubs, meal replacement peddlers or medics with diet sheets. I have been accused of cheating, lying, being gluttonous, refusing to be guided by those who know better than I - so from the moment I was diagnosed I have stuck to low carb - well - I have eaten an apple and more grapes than I should have - oh, and two mangoes but not on the same day - and no advice of the 'eat carbs' sort will make me give it up again.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am really quite thankful that I had decades of trying to do low carb for weightloss interspersed with numerous attempts to lose weight under the guidance of others either at slimming clubs, meal replacement peddlers or medics with diet sheets. I have been accused of cheating, lying, being gluttonous, refusing to be guided by those who know better than I - so from the moment I was diagnosed I have stuck to low carb - well - I have eaten an apple and more grapes than I should have - oh, and two mangoes but not on the same day - and no advice of the 'eat carbs' sort will make me give it up again.

Snap. I'm almost 65 and have been dieting for 50 years. Up and down, down and up, in a ridiculous cycle.I didn't understand it - my friends, brothers and I ate the same things but only I got fat. There was a short period when I got depressed about it and comfort ate.

Weight Watchers worked, temporarily. SlimmingWorld worked, temporarily. Now, I've lost 61lb since May and have never felt so good. I'll never go back to the bad old days.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with that picture is the the 'mould' is clean and dry. Whereas the beans are tomatoey and wet.
So the mould has obviously met the beans for the first time when they are 'posed' on the plate for the picture.

Now, I know from living in a shared house as a student (fond memories), that mould will grow happily on top of an open tin of beans. But those nightmare memories are of the mould being a lava-like green/grey, rather than this sinister grey/black octopoid structure.

So... personally, I think that mould and beans takes a bit of cultured neglect, and has very little to do with insulin and blood glucose control. lol.

bridia12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We live in mad world and sadly dominated by the food industry lobby. They control most of the government diet/health bodies and others and fund a lot of university research. Anyone looked at the diet advice for diabetics on the British Dietetic Association web site? This is one of the professional establishments for dieticians. It sums it up. At least we understand here but I feel sorry for those diabetics taking the advice of 'experts' and the loss of limbs they might expect later in life.
Gosh Dai Bell, you are doing really well. My HbA1C has gone up from 7.2 to 7.9. My BMI is 27. I use the gym four times a week, mainly spinning. I count carbse but rarely get under 200 each day. I have a sweet tooth. My wife cooks me excellent food. Diagnosed in 1999. Aged 72. How do you do it dear boy?