1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So beans don't require insulin?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Resurgam, Jan 23, 2017.

1. myracat

myracat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

My OH was also told to substitute them for another veg or eat beans on a jacket potato (yuk!) for lunch. When, on my advice, as he doesn't have a clue about food values, he asked her about the sugar in them he was told it was a different type of sugar and the beans will counteract it.

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

At my very first DN appointment I was also told to eat a baked potato with baked beans for lunch. There was a glossy colour photo of this meal in the booklet she gave me.

3. Humma

Humma Type 1 · Well-Known Member

???????????????? 53g carbs per tin

4. Eurobuff

Eurobuff Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't believe people are still being advised to eat baked beans. My mother was diagnosed as diabetic in 2002 and was told then to eat baked beans, bananas, bread & potatoes, not forgetting to eat plenty of fruit & veg. At the time she was having problems with her eyesight. Every hospital appointment she was told her eyesight is getting worse and would continue to do so unless she got her blood sugar under control & accused of "cheating" & "must be eating sweets & chocolate " by the time she had the courage to ignore the "experts" and got her sugar levels under control it was too late to stop her going blind. Do they realise how damaging their advice is?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ewwww What is that ? :yuck:

6. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Either it's mould or free protein!

• Like Like x 1
  7. kittypoker

kittypoker Friend · Well-Known Member

Good grief, that's not only incompetent but on the cusp of fraudulent. No wonder obesity and D2 are at epidemic levels when the advice is not only poor, but actively contributes.

Someone has to be held account. The Government, probably. Food and pharmaceutical industries, almost certainly. They both have a financial interest in the status quo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Nasty! Straight out the airlock... Did it have "acid for blood." Or did it actually bolus for the baked beans.... ;)

9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I am really quite thankful that I had decades of trying to do low carb for weightloss interspersed with numerous attempts to lose weight under the guidance of others either at slimming clubs, meal replacement peddlers or medics with diet sheets. I have been accused of cheating, lying, being gluttonous, refusing to be guided by those who know better than I - so from the moment I was diagnosed I have stuck to low carb - well - I have eaten an apple and more grapes than I should have - oh, and two mangoes but not on the same day - and no advice of the 'eat carbs' sort will make me give it up again.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. kittypoker

kittypoker Friend · Well-Known Member

Snap. I'm almost 65 and have been dieting for 50 years. Up and down, down and up, in a ridiculous cycle.I didn't understand it - my friends, brothers and I ate the same things but only I got fat. There was a short period when I got depressed about it and comfort ate.

Weight Watchers worked, temporarily. SlimmingWorld worked, temporarily. Now, I've lost 61lb since May and have never felt so good. I'll never go back to the bad old days.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Deespee23

Deespee23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yukkk.. they said it was mould ? I still think it looks like a dead creature of some kind.. so glad I don't eat baked beans !

13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The problem with that picture is the the 'mould' is clean and dry. Whereas the beans are tomatoey and wet.
    So the mould has obviously met the beans for the first time when they are 'posed' on the plate for the picture.

Now, I know from living in a shared house as a student (fond memories), that mould will grow happily on top of an open tin of beans. But those nightmare memories are of the mould being a lava-like green/grey, rather than this sinister grey/black octopoid structure.

So... personally, I think that mould and beans takes a bit of cultured neglect, and has very little to do with insulin and blood glucose control. lol.

14. bridia12

bridia12 Type 1 · Member

Gosh Dai Bell, you are doing really well. My HbA1C has gone up from 7.2 to 7.9. My BMI is 27. I use the gym four times a week, mainly spinning. I count carbse but rarely get under 200 each day. I have a sweet tooth. My wife cooks me excellent food. Diagnosed in 1999. Aged 72. How do you do it dear boy?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook