1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So beans don't require insulin?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Resurgam, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I was just at a session for the education of diabetics - and suspect that the dietician was in the pay of Heinz, she was pushing the consumption of their tinned beans so hard.

She claimed that a Type one diabetic would be able to eat ordinary baked beans with sugar in the sauce and not need insulin - which seems rather far fetched to me, but she was also extoling their virtues as a source of protein and fibre...

There were various plastic models of foods on the table to be sorted into the various food groups - but there were no salad leaves or stems - no celery, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, spinach nor onions - there were no green beans or peas either - all very strange.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Maybe Heinz does have a say in matters. It is one of the sponsors/members of the British Nutrition Foundation that advises the government on nutrition issues.

At my initial diagnosis meeting with my (lovely) nurse, I hadn't a clue what I ought to be eating. She did the Eatwell Plate stuff and told me the best lunch was baked beans on toast. I already had that for lunch anyway so continued with it until I got a meter. :arghh: I tried the beans without the toast. :arghh: Then I found the reduced sugar ones. :arghh: I haven't eaten baked beans since. She also advised me to eat a jacket spud with baked beans. Baked beans seemed to be the answer to everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Heinz has its sticky fingers in official diabetes nutrition advice. :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  4. SWUSA_

SWUSA_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I might have a spoon full of baked beans now-for desert. Baked beans tastes too sugary for me now-as well as raises my blood glucose quite rapidly. I had humus for dinner though. Some brands of humus have a lot of filler and raise my BG a lot but Sabra with roasted red peppers eaten in moderation-1 to 2 tablespoons with raw snow peas and carrots or a few (5) pita chips does not. I also eat pinto beans which I adore and lentils in lentil soup. I have a small portion of black beans with a salad sometimes.

I am type 2, on insulin but just basal at this time-I do not bolus for anything-it is not part of my treatment plan.. I also take 3 x 500 mg metformin and baked beans would be a 2 x metformin meal for sure if I ate them anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #4 SWUSA_, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just fetched a tin of Heinz ' (50% less sugar) Beanz' from the cupboard. I don't eat baked beans at all but my husband likes them. Info on the label as follows:-
    Carbohydarate 9.9 per 100 g, 20.5 per half tin. With no insulin ? Rubbish. (I am type 1 diagnosed 1964.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

There was a similar query or comment from a Type 1 recently - they'd been told there was no need to bolus for baked beans. The consensus was that was incorrect.

I'd certainly bolus for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Gee I had chilly last night with three different varieties of beans and I required 10 units of Humulog to take care of it. I guess they weren't those special Heinz beans. I don;t know about everyone else but I have met my fair share of crackpot dietitians over the years :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When diagnosed in the late 70s, I was told that two tablespoons of baked beans would be one exchange ( that's 10g carbohydrate). For years I used baked beans as one of my 4 exchanges for my evening meal, about once a week. Approximately 15 years after diagnosis, I noticed that I was going lowish or even hypo after having baked beans with dinner. I decided not to include beans in my carb total and stopped going low.

It seems I needed insulin for beans at first, but this changed. I haven't a clue why.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Wigan famous for Heinz baked beans, meat and potato pies and uncle Joe's mint balls non of which I would consider diabetes friendly but I used to like to stand outside Uncle Joe's factory and just breathe in the aroma. :)

edit to add
    Mind you just standing there would probably put your blood sugars up.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    #9 JohnEGreen, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  10. Johnjoe13

Johnjoe13 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I may be stating the obvious here but does anybody in the NHS actually know anything about diet and carbs where diabetes is concerned? I strikes me they don't or are just unable to agree. I'm wondering what happens if you are a dietitian and diabetic? Are there any that are still alive or in possession of all their limbs and eyesight? Or could it be they do not practice what they preach?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Happily, the answer to,that is Yes @Johnjoe13 :)

When I was diagnsoed, I saw an excellent dietician who explained carb counting simply and kindly to me, which was very much appreciated. I've also seen a dietician recently and she was equally helpful.

I'm sure some are better than others, but they're not all bad.

12. Resurgam

There was one significant phrase in the entire session - 'as your diabetes progresses' - and I just sort of blanked after that.

13. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

We live in mad world and sadly dominated by the food industry lobby. They control most of the government diet/health bodies and others and fund a lot of university research. Anyone looked at the diet advice for diabetics on the British Dietetic Association web site? This is one of the professional establishments for dieticians. It sums it up. At least we understand here but I feel sorry for those diabetics taking the advice of 'experts' and the loss of limbs they might expect later in life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I'd be very surprised, I have to take bolus for beans (we buy Branston's Baked Beans).

That is true.

Which course was it @Resurgam ?

15. Resurgam

It was the three sessions on the NHS, arranged by Poole Hospital in Dorset.

16. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm currently having Hydrobaric Oxygen Therapy and breathing pure oxygen sitting in a pressurised cabin definitely makes my BG drop (thanks to FreeStyle Libre) and my BG goes up as soon as I emerge from the chamber. So you never can tell. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That might be true, but as most people know, that's not all it has. Did anyone try to tell her the error of her ways? It might be what they're taught, yet can so easily be proven as absolute cods wallop if anyone happened to have a CGM or pump. Empirical evidence as it were. Poor woman, not knowing. (tongue in cheek)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. samantha13

samantha13 · Well-Known Member

That was me I was told at my DAFNE course that the beans won't affect the bg as they are slow release so no need to bolus. After trusting this advice I spiked sky high. At least I know for future..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. laffinjake_

laffinjake_ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told to halve the carb amount so if it was 20g for half a tin, bolus for 10g as its slow releasing . I don't bother with them anymore though because I could never get it right

20. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Fortunately, no one told me that so I've always bolused for the actual carbs : D

I remember my carb value sheet had baked beans on too, and they were listed as actual carbs.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook