Red wine before food - experiment

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All depends what you like and don't like. Personally I would go for the First Cape Pinotage or the Hardy's Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon, but if you don't like Shiraz they may not be to your taste. How about trying a bottle first to see if you like them before investing in a box?

I prefer a box because I end up throwing half a bottle away as I don't drink enough. And there's not a Hardy's CS there?
I prefer a light/medium wine but could get use to a more full bodied one, I'm enjoying my glass of wine at bedtime while reading :)

MizzRyan69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being diabetic. .
Here was me buying a cheeky bottle of red and I'm reading some of you guys have boxes :) I like the sound of boxes. . Always loved me glass of red wine and am so happy its not something I have to give up totally. . There definately is a God

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
A box is good, especially red, you can invite friends to share and feel good about having
enough left for the next day! you are lovely people out there so enjoy..... and I havent had a glass yet!
ps diabetic (with a small d) so not to take over your lifestyle completely :)

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the blood glucose lowering effect I think will likely take off over time if used every day, as most peoples livers capasity do increse with a daily use, and therfore the alcohol is not likely to be able to block the liver as effective over longer times daily use...
the increasing capasity (which has limits ) is one of the reasons that some servere alcoholics do not die from alcohol doses that most other non alcoholics would normally die from

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spent great day batch making curry and its a belter. Lots to freeze. Low carb and mega tasty due to glog on red wine and one for the chef! Its a hot and sour dansak and quite possibly my best ever ( lots of ghee) I love lchf ). Happy days
I used to drink beer when currying. Now I know what I have to do instead, and I can blame someone too!

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen two GPs since my diagnosis. One gave the 'eat plenty of carbs with each meal' mantra, while the other pointed me towards low carb, and this site. They also suggested rather than giving up alcohol that red wine was quite acceptable although in moderation. Guess which one I think is talking sense?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't read all of this so not sure if it's been mentioned but spirits lower me more. I have a chilled shot of vodka before bed and castings are much better.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the overall education and benefit of the group, I decided to see how Armangac affects BG.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am helping with an Australian Shiraz at the moment !
CAROL

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not at this moment but. with my evening meal !!

CAROL

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I enjoy a glass of red wine, and I do tend to have a few sips before I eat whilst tea is cooking. I have always tested my pre-tea levels before I start on the wine, but today and yesterday I decided to test before my first sip and then again before my first bite. The results for both days are, quite coincidentally, identical.

Both days. Tested each test twice to confirm. 75ml of wine is not a lot ;)

Before wine 5.2
Before tea (15 minutes later after about 75ml wine) 4.7

So it looks like my 75ml wine on an empty tummy dropped my levels by half a mmol/l.

Interesting!
Going to conduct some research into this one...........

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really interesting, I rarely drink but last weekend went to a gig in London and had 4 glasses of red along with a massive mixed grill in wetherspoons at 6pm. By midnight when I got back to the hotel and checked my BS it was a record low of 4.2. I put it down to the mile walk to the hotel from the pub after the show but clearly I was wrong.

I think I will buy a bottle tomorrow and experiment for a few days.

majnoon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds interesting, I wonder if I replace all my blood with red wine, maybe my diabetes will go:rolleyes:

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can confirm that red wine works wonders.... It's lowered my BG by 0.5 immediately and left me too ****** to drive so I have to walk to tesco now... Enforced extra steps has to be a winner too...

I'd already done 3 miles today too....

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I am not a wine drinker as it gives me heartburn/indigestion! but would give anything a go to help get bg down even if only a little bit. oh go on then just the one glass then

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Slalom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I occasionally drink wine, usually red, but do not have a meter.

I always try and recork the wine after the second glass. usually goes in reversed. Then if i don't open and recork it it is ok the next day.

Why after the second glass? The first glass, is too soon out of the bottle, second glass has mellowed a little due to being open.

I o not use boxes even for parties.

jake_major_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I enjoy a glass of red wine, and I do tend to have a few sips before I eat whilst tea is cooking. I have always tested my pre-tea levels before I start on the wine, but today and yesterday I decided to test before my first sip and then again before my first bite. The results for both days are, quite coincidentally, identical.

Both days. Tested each test twice to confirm. 75ml of wine is not a lot ;)

Before wine 5.2
Before tea (15 minutes later after about 75ml wine) 4.7

So it looks like my 75ml wine on an empty tummy dropped my levels by half a mmol/l.

Interesting!