Low Carb Mummy on a mission!

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone!

My name is Lissie and I love baking. It is my go to whatever my mood, whatever the weather or occasion (often no occasion needed) and wherever I happen to be. It’s not just baking though, I enjoy cooking in general especially when I’m cooking for other people.

I’m a Mum of two small girls (2 ½years and 9 months). I want to give our kids the chance to grow up understanding (and loving) food and knowing how to eat properly. So I have embarked on a culinary journey to cut our sugar intake down and have been busily recreating all the things I love to bake and eat.

I am going to be using the Forum Blogs and the Low Carb Program to keep a note of my low-carb, sugar free creations which I hope will encourage you to get in the kitchen (especially with your kids those of you that are mums and dads).

I would love to hear if there are any recipes or family staples that you would like me to try, I am just in the process of perfecting a low-carb brownie and sugar-free buttercream frosting (because no low-carb cupcake is complete without frosting!).

Lissie x

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good luck.Just a bit sceptical as flour in itself is so loaded with carbs/starch, and you really need that to bake?
Pastry is one thing I love in every form and maybe could work out ok, as it can be filled with veg,meat,or berries and cream, and is so full of butter.So if you take requests, from me would be something like Apple Pie..

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome @LowCarbMummy :)

What type of diabetes do you have? Are you on any meds?

So, I don't have diabetes (although several of my family members and friends do which has given me a tiny insight into life with diabetes). I have been asked to write this food blog because I am trying to raise my family on a low carb low sugar diet which in combo with being a keen baker is hopefully a recipe for lots of scrummy food ideas.

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good luck.Just a bit sceptical as flour in itself is so loaded with carbs/starch, and you really need that to bake?
Pastry is one thing I love in every form and maybe could work out ok, as it can be filled with veg,meat,or berries and cream, and is so full of butter.So if you take requests, from me would be something like Apple Pie..

I was a little sceptical about baking without flour to begin with but once you get used to it then it just becomes normal. I use a lot of almond flour with a little bit of buckwheat flour and coconut flour thrown in here and there. Its definitely not the same as baking with regular wheat flour but baking can still yield yummy things without it! If you are a pastry fan then keep an eye out for my pumpkin pie recipe and I will definitely add apple pie to my request list.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, I don't have diabetes (although several of my family members and friends do which has given me a tiny insight into life with diabetes). I have been asked to write this food blog because I am trying to raise my family on a low carb low sugar diet which in combo with being a keen baker is hopefully a recipe for lots of scrummy food ideas.

Ah, ok - so a professional blog from DCUK. Cool :)

Years ago, I had a secondhand book called Sugar Off (I think). It had a number of cake recipes in, all without sugar. I don't have the book now, but I remember the sweeteners were things like dried fruit blended with yoghurt, and the methods were quite different sometimes to 'normal' baking. It sounded strange but made nice cakes. The only thing was that they didn't keep as long, presumably because of the lack of sugar.

Will you be posting nutritional info for your recipes? Particularly the carbs, speaking as a Type 1? The brownies idea sounds tempting!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi LCM,
Welcome.
You seem like a busy person judging by your blog.

Do your D friends/family LC?

I see you already met Azure.
I'll tag in some other LCers to greet you.. @AndBreathe @Brunneria @Bluetit1802

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone!

My name is Lissie and I love baking. It is my go to whatever my mood, whatever the weather or occasion (often no occasion needed) and wherever I happen to be. It’s not just baking though, I enjoy cooking in general especially when I’m cooking for other people.

I’m a Mum of two small girls (2 ½years and 9 months). I want to give our kids the chance to grow up understanding (and loving) food and knowing how to eat properly. So I have embarked on a culinary journey to cut our sugar intake down and have been busily recreating all the things I love to bake and eat.

I am going to be using the Forum Blogs and the Low Carb Program to keep a note of my low-carb, sugar free creations which I hope will encourage you to get in the kitchen (especially with your kids those of you that are mums and dads).

I would love to hear if there are any recipes or family staples that you would like me to try, I am just in the process of perfecting a low-carb brownie and sugar-free buttercream frosting (because no low-carb cupcake is complete without frosting!).

Lissie x

Welcome aboard LowCarbMum. It's good to see you getting to grips with the LC way of living.

I've been on a LC way of eating for over 3 years now, so I've probably got quite a good spread of things we happily eat on a day to day basis.

Just before modifying my diet, I used to bake quite a bit, but some of that was because around that time, I left corporate life and with it, my wide panel of tasters. My poor old OH just couldn't get through the stuff.

Are you looking to develop new creations or convert "normal" bakes to LC, or something else? I'm sorry, I'm not quite clear on that.

Great blog by the way. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @LowCarbMummy

I am in total awe of you! A farm animal vet, a mum of 2 toddlers, husband working just about anywhere in the world, a charity worker, and a low carb baker and blogger and not even diabetic!!! Very inspiring, and my admiration goes out to you.

I don't bake, in fact I don't cook. My hubby is in charge of all that, but if someone could come up with a yummy pastry recipe suitable for replacing ordinary shortbread pasty that actually tastes the same, I would be delighted!

EDIT for shortbread please read shortcrust! Yet another ridiculous typo from me this evening! :banghead:

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am in total awe of you! A farm animal vet, a mum of 2 toddlers, husband working just about anywhere in the world, a charity worker, and a low carb baker and blogger and not even diabetic!!! Very inspiring, and my admiration goes out to you.

I don't bake, in fact I don't cook. My hubby is in charge of all that, but if someone could come up with a yummy pastry recipe suitable for replacing ordinary shortbread pasty that actually tastes the same, I would be delighted!

Bluetit, do you mean shortbread or shortcrust pastry? I think there are a few shortbread-y things around t'interweb.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit, do you mean shortbread or shortcrust pastry? I think there are a few shortbread-y things around t'interweb.

This is the second time I've been pulled up tonight for "deliberate" mistakes. Lol.

Of course I mean shortcrust pastry. I also need to take myself away for a lie down in a darkened room for 3 weeks!

My apologies.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @LowCarbMummy Low carb baking can be fun and surprisingly low carb flours work quite well in many recipes. Have a look at my creations at diabeticgoodbaking.com

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

EDIT for shortbread please read shortcrust! Yet another ridiculous typo from me this evening! :banghead:
Low carb pastry is a big challenge. I managed to make something similar but definately not the same as a 'real' one http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/09/tart-crust.html

Reactions: Bluetit1802

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome . Great idea you have . Looking forward to seeing some baked goods

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh following, this sounds great. I'd second a good LC shortcrust pastry, we miss pies! We low carb as a family, with 2 x 6 year old girls (1 who's t1) and a 4 year old boy.

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah, ok - so a professional blog from DCUK. Cool :)

Years ago, I had a secondhand book called Sugar Off (I think). It had a number of cake recipes in, all without sugar. I don't have the book now, but I remember the sweeteners were things like dried fruit blended with yoghurt, and the methods were quite different sometimes to 'normal' baking. It sounded strange but made nice cakes. The only thing was that they didn't keep as long, presumably because of the lack of sugar.

Will you be posting nutritional info for your recipes? Particularly the carbs, speaking as a Type 1? The brownies idea sounds tempting!

It sounds like a good book. I tend to avoid dried fruit altogether as it is just full of sugar (I am a bit of a medjool date fan so I still treat myself here and there) I use stevia instead and occasionally rice malt syrup (it is 100% fructose free but still packs a big carbohydrate hit). Cake doesn't last long in our house but you are right some do need to be kept in the fridge as they do seem to spoil quicker. Some of my methods are 'normal' and some a little obscure. I have tried to keep them simple though, this is mainly for my own benefit!!

And yes I will be posting nutritional information at the end of each recipe based on a serving size. Please nobble me if I have missed one and I will post it.

LowCarbMummy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome aboard LowCarbMum. It's good to see you getting to grips with the LC way of living.

I've been on a LC way of eating for over 3 years now, so I've probably got quite a good spread of things we happily eat on a day to day basis.

Just before modifying my diet, I used to bake quite a bit, but some of that was because around that time, I left corporate life and with it, my wide panel of tasters. My poor old OH just couldn't get through the stuff.

Are you looking to develop new creations or convert "normal" bakes to LC, or something else? I'm sorry, I'm not quite clear on that.

Great blog by the way. :)

Hi. I will be doing some new creations (Ive got some keen taste testers lined up to make sure nothing too crazy sneaks on) and some conversions as theres a good few things I just can't do without.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I will be doing some new creations (Ive got some keen taste testers lined up to make sure nothing too crazy sneaks on) and some conversions as theres a good few things I just can't do without.

Sounds good. I look forward to it.

Do you follow any of the other LC food bloggers, like ditchthecarbs, ibreatheimhubgry or lowcarnmom to name a few?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like a good book. I tend to avoid dried fruit altogether as it is just full of sugar (I am a bit of a medjool date fan so I still treat myself here and there) I use stevia instead and occasionally rice malt syrup (it is 100% fructose free but still packs a big carbohydrate hit). Cake doesn't last long in our house but you are right some do need to be kept in the fridge as they do seem to spoil quicker. Some of my methods are 'normal' and some a little obscure. I have tried to keep them simple though, this is mainly for my own benefit!!

And yes I will be posting nutritional information at the end of each recipe based on a serving size. Please nobble me if I have missed one and I will post it.

Yes, it was good :) The ethos of it was avoiding sugar - that is, sucrose - and using smaller amounts of fruit, etc, to give sweetness. I made a few recipes from it, and all were good. I felt they were more nutritious, as they had vitamins and minerals from the fruit, rather than the 'empty calories' of sugar.

Dried fruit is quite sweet, especially dates, but you only need a few to add sweetness. In another of my cookery books, there's a lovely rich recipe for a kind of chocolate dessert that's made with ground almonds and raw cacao, and that's sweetened with a few dates. The carbs in those dates spread across the whole dessert are minimal. I then top it with fresh raspberries or cherries and serve it with cream or Greek yoghurt. The whole thing is low carb, even for a good size portion :)

I don't use Stevia or any artificial sweeteners, so I hope the rice malt syrup features in plenty of recipes. I've only used it once, a number of years ago for a recipe that specified it, but I've never used it in general cooking so I'm not really familiar with its uses.

The Low Carb program here allows up to 130g carbs a day, so hopefully there'll be room for some cakes and desserts that use that syrup :) If you're taking requests, anything with chocolate is good in my book :D