Yet another claim of a cure - 4 months this time ;-/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like another variation of the Newcastle Diet. Restricted calories.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
All diets work in the short term, the trick is to keep the metabolism high enough to prevent a rebound and or not assume before habitual eating will work.

If I were newly diagnosed with Type 2, I would love to have seen this article which offers hope. I think I didn't find this site for a while due to being sick and tired of just reading about complications, I needed something that was positive and offered hope.

Reactions: Freema and AM1874

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

It does seem to be that very low calorie diets can reverse diabetes if this is a second independent study.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm reading a bit more.. only 40% had lower blood sugars after 3 months and there were 83 people on the trial.
I can't find the actual publication just reports of it. The participants were on 2 or 3 drugs during the trial, cut their calorie intake and did a lot more exercise..

"They also took the anti-diabetes pills metformin and acarbose, and received nightly insulin injections to prevent spikes in blood sugar.
One group underwent the intensive therapy for 16 weeks and the other for eight.
Three months after the treatment ended, 11 out of 27 patients in the 16 week group no longer appeared to be suffering from progressive diabetes.
The same outcome was seen in six of the 28 patients in the eight week group.
Just four patients in the "control" group that received standard care showed evidence of remission."

So they "cured" 4 patients in the group that didn't follow the treatment? Interesting...

That was from ITV.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
There's no report of this study yet @bulkbiker because it's ongoing and expected to take two years - see ..
https://fhs.mcmaster.ca/main/news/news_2016/Can_diabetes_be_reversed.html
What is being reported at present is just the pilot. It's also interesting that Dr. Hertzel Gerstein, senior investigator of the studies, says that “We think this could work for up to 40 per cent of people with diabetes and possibly more,” .. the very figure that is already being hailed as a success by the media

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema and kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The report here, but only abstract available...
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/artic...gy-in-Type-2-Diabetes?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Results:
At 8 weeks, 50.0% of the 8-week intervention group versus 3.6% of controls achieved normoglycemia on therapy (RR 14.0, 95% CI 1.97-99.38), and at 16 weeks, these percentages were 70.4% in the 16-week group and 3.6% in controls (RR 19.7, 2.83-137.13). Twelve weeks after completion of the intervention, 21.4% of the 8-week group compared to 10.7% of controls (RR 2.00, 0.55-7.22) and 40.7% of the 16-week group compared to 14.3% of controls (RR 2.85, 1.03-7.87) met HbA1C criteria for complete or partial diabetes remission.

Reactions: ickihun and AM1874

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was just about to post that myself...
As someone on another forum commented.. instead of giving them insulin to give the pancreas a rest they could have changed the diet to LCHF and done the same thing maybe with better weight loss too...

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is notable is the shift in pursuing a strategy for diabetes remission upon diagnosis, rather than the prevailing view that this is a chronic and progressive condition, accept it..."Piloting a Remission Strategy in Type 2 Diabetes: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial"

Of course we know that any strategy is unlikely to work for all. But 40% is a pretty astounding improvement from the last know remission figure...following current treatment protocols...
What did the researchers find? Over 7 years, 1.47 percent of the entire group had a partial remission, 0.14 percent had a complete remission, and 0.007 percent had a prolonged remission. Overall, 1.60 percent of the entire group (4.6 percent of those who had been diagnosed for less than 2 years) had some sort of remission. People who were older than 65 years of age, were African American, had been diagnosed for less than 2 years, had an A1C of less than 5.7 percent at the start of the study period, or were taking no diabetes medicines at the start of the study period were more likely to have a remission. - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/research-an...tps://www.google.com.sg/#sthash.ZQ1Kb4V1.dpuf

Last edited:

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you lose 5 kg 10 kg or whatever on these restrictive programs and put the weight back on after the so called treatment period does the effect last or does one have to keep on a similar restrictive maintenance program

Reactions: Freema

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I went on such a low calorie diet I would go down the plug hole
CAROL

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And if I did my metabolism would slow down ( like it has done many times before) so that I wouldn't lose enough (if any) weight. It probably works for those who have never reduced calorie intake before, but then it would work for them without the drugs too. I guess big pharma is getting scared about people reversing diabetes using diet only....so they want to get in on the act and do 'diet with drugs' (and therefore profits.)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so they want to get in on the act and do 'diet with drugs' (and therefore profits.)

Some profit is better than none...and they can claim incredible success with whatever combo of drugs they have. Once they combine that combo with adequate carbs reduction...:D

Reactions: AM1874

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you lose 5 kg 10 kg or whatever on these restrictive programs and put the weight back on after the so called treatment period does the effect last or does one have to keep on a similar restrictive maintenance program
Doesn't last. It has to be lifestyle changes but the right changes on going.
I'm proof of that, a few times over.
I used to train with an international professional footballer daily and eat very low calorie with regular swimming. I prevented diabetes meds.
2 pregnancies on insulin and 25yrs later I'm sifting through what is insulin resistance, liver dumps and wrong diet and/or capable exercise.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, except that insulin was mentioned as well and I have no idea what they were doing with that. As soon as I saw calories mentioned I guessed it was a variant of the ND thinking. One day these guys will realise that the carbs push up blood sugar and 'calories', of which fats figure highly, don't. A particularly stupid article.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, except that insulin was mentioned as well and I have no idea what they were doing with that. As soon as I saw calories mentioned I guessed it was a variant of the ND thinking. One day these guys will realise that the carbs push up blood sugar and 'calories', of which fats figure highly, don't. A particularly stupid article.

I think the point of the study is to reverse diabetes, so carbs will no longer 'push up blood sugar', rather than merely sidestep the effect of carbs on the body for life.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, but drugs are not needed to give the pancreas a rest and restore normoglycemia.

LCHF plus IF, reducing carb intake to minimum and IF to reduce insulin response to once a day or longer if you can fast for longer has been proven over and over to have the necessary effects on pancreas in T2 remission.

I'ts great that this is now hitting mainstream on a regular basis, but is nothing new.

For most people, with the right approach, T2 can be tamed without the necessity for artificially lowering Glucose levels using drugs.

Glucose in the blood is the symptom, insulin and leptin is the cause, treat the cause not the symptoms and the glucose levels will stabilise.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I found being on insulin for 12 months was a great help to me as it got my bg levels in the non diabetic range after a few weeks which must have helped stop further damage to my pancreas but of course it didnt help me lose weight that was down to the 60g of carbs I ate for most of that year ;)

Another point, some of you seem to think this is similar to the Newcastle Study Diet but it is not, the NSD restricts calories to 800 a day where as this diet reduces the calories by 500 and 750 a day so a totally different approach.

I would think that most obese people would see little weight loss just be reducing calories by so little I know I couldnt have, it took a lot more, although as I said earlier being prescribed MDI of insulin did help, a lot.