To statin or not to statin ... that is the question!

Lesley60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude, arrogant, mean people.
I was diagnosed T2 in 2012 and my GP prescribed 2 x 500g metformin per day. Luckily not experienced any side effects.
So in 2012 my cholesterol was 7.9 and neither my GP or DN even mentioned statins I was just advised to try and reduce level was told to eat carbs with every meal and low fat. Since joining this site and learning so much from everyone here and eating LCHF diet my HbA1c is 39 and cholesterol is 5.6 and my DN now says I should be taking statins!! Where is the logic in that! I refused point blank and she wasn't very happy but it's my life my decision. I'll continue to lower cholesterol
level with lchf and walking.
With many thanks to everyone on here for the endless amount of knowledge I've gained about all things diabetes.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many other heart meds Toto, it all depends on ones heart condition. D.
Exactly lindisfell. Tipetoo and I have atrial fibrilation in common and so far I haven't heard statins being used, based on science, for treating AF.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In my annual Heath check my DN wanted to put me onto statins because my collesterol was slightly high and decided that because I had, had a stroke that it would be a preventative measure.

I decided that I wasn't going to even try after learning about the side effects especially the memory and brain fog. The more research I've done the less likely I'm going to be taking them any time soon.

I'm 5 weeks into the low carb diet and I'm going to continue with it until at least my next blood tests in two weeks time. I know I've lost weight and I'm hoping that all my levels are significantly reduced, including my collesterol

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In my annual Heath check my DN wanted to put me onto statins because my collesterol was slightly high and decided that because I had, had a stroke that it would be a preventative measure.

I decided that I wasn't going to even try after learning about the side effects especially the memory and brain fog. The more research I've done the less likely I'm going to be taking them any time soon.

I'm 5 weeks into the low carb diet and I'm going to continue with it until at least my next blood tests in two weeks time. I know I've lost weight and I'm hoping that all my levels are significantly reduced, including my collesterol

Make sure you get the full lipids included with your forthcoming cholesterol test, and that you fast for it, even though you probably will not be told to do so. Some doctors are trying to save money by not doing the full lipid test. Good luck.

lindisfel

Expert
Exactly lindisfell. Tipetoo and I have atrial fibrilation in common and so far I haven't heard statins being used, based on science, for treating AF.
I have afib as well Toto but I cannot take beta blockers and needed a pace maker for repeated 4 sec heart pauses. I have Pradaxa to stop clots forming due to slow afib. With afib one needs to keep potassium up near 5.0. I am also on eplerenone, a potassium sparing diuretic, for sodium caused htn and suspected heart failure. But life is wonderful I will have been married 55 years tomorrow! atb Derek

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
According to the poll on this forum, most users have bad experiences with statins. Some of the complications are severe including memory loss. Statins raise blood sugar, so are not good for diabetics. They also make it more likely you will die of heart disease or cancer, especially for women. So, not advisable to take unless you are male and have had a heart attack.
Hi. Now I'm frightened.
I've been taking Atorvastatin for many years.
I'm type two. !

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
After reading all on this page I'm really worried I'm type two and have been taking Atorvastatin for many years.
I don't take metformin since 2009 as it inter feared with meds for my ulcerative colitis and I became very ill ended up in hospital for two months.
My sugars have been in the teens for several years now and now I take 38 units insulin am.
Also take Gliclazide and pioglitazone.
I think I should stop the Atorvastatin!!!
Maddy

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I think I should stop the Atorvastatin!!!

Although I'm a person who no longer takes a statin, I did it because I was in pain, I had brain fog and slept badly. I had also managed to reduce my total cholesterol to 3 by lowering carbs. I had read an awful lot about statins (I was even more confused about what to do), but it was my personal experience that made me stop. Initially my TC went up to 5.4 but was only 4 last December.

If statins aren't causing you any problems, why stop? It's important to remember that we are all so very different that what's good for one person isn't so good for someone else. We have all had such different experiences with statins and it's better to act on your own experiences and not someone else's.

Reactions: Salvia and Debzz_

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If statins aren't causing you any problems, why stop? It's important to remember that we are all so very different that what's good for one person isn't so good for someone else. We have all had such different experiences with statins and it's better to act on your own experiences and not someone else's.

Because it is acording to some highly likely that many adverse effects of statins aren't immediately obvious and though you may think you are not having problems with them they are still doing you damage.

In the same way high blood sugar levels may be asymptomatic but are still damaging.

lindisfel

Expert
If you read on after the negative article above there are also links to articles that say how benificial statins are and other negative articles. I just shows one should ignore the kind of peer pressure we get and make a balanced decision based on the totality of the evidence. If that is too much for ones brain to take in we perhaps should follow the advice of our health care professionals. D.

Reactions: Debzz_

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you read on after the negative article above there are also links to articles that say how benificial statins are and other negative articles. I just shows one should ignore the kind of peer pressure we get and make a balanced decision based on the totality of the evidence. If that is too much for ones brain to take in we perhaps should follow the advice of our health care professionals. D.
You mean the HCPs that tell type 2 diabetics to eat lots of carbs and limit dietary fat? No, thanks.

lindisfel

Expert
You mean the HCPs that tell type 2 diabetics to eat lots of carbs and limit dietary fat? No, thanks.
I knew somebody who went to quacks rather than doctors then they went too late because they found to their cost they were terminally ill due cancer. If you don't believe in doctors that is not my problem! I saw my daughter, a doctor, 25years ago save her mothers life, I would not have known how to do it.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I knew somebody who went to quacks rather than doctors then they went too late because they found to their cost they were terminally ill due cancer. If you don't believe in doctors that is not my problem! I saw my daughter, a doctor, 25years ago save her mothers life, I would not have known how to do it.
I didn't say I don't "believe in doctors", but I've learned not to blindly assume an HCP's advice is always optimal. That's just foolish. If I did, I'd still have diabetes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are doctors and then there doctors like the one at our GP's practice who on Monday refused to prescribe my daughter antibiotics for an abscess of the mouth on the grounds that it was now policy that she should get a prescription from a dentist.

She was lucky enough to get an emergency appointment at a dentist's who was astounded at the stupidity of the GP.

A medical degree does not make you infallible.

Reactions: lindisfel

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only