1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

To statin or not to statin ... that is the question!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Debzz_, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Lesley60

Lesley60 Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed T2 in 2012 and my GP prescribed 2 x 500g metformin per day. Luckily not experienced any side effects.
    So in 2012 my cholesterol was 7.9 and neither my GP or DN even mentioned statins I was just advised to try and reduce level was told to eat carbs with every meal and low fat. Since joining this site and learning so much from everyone here and eating LCHF diet my HbA1c is 39 and cholesterol is 5.6 and my DN now says I should be taking statins!! Where is the logic in that! I refused point blank and she wasn't very happy but it's my life my decision. I'll continue to lower cholesterol
    level with lchf and walking.
    With many thanks to everyone on here for the endless amount of knowledge I've gained about all things diabetes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I suspect that a half hour walk everyday would do more to prevent CVD than taking a statin, but I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Exactly lindisfell. Tipetoo and I have atrial fibrilation in common and so far I haven't heard statins being used, based on science, for treating AF.

4. Bs0lth

Bs0lth Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my annual Heath check my DN wanted to put me onto statins because my collesterol was slightly high and decided that because I had, had a stroke that it would be a preventative measure.

I decided that I wasn't going to even try after learning about the side effects especially the memory and brain fog. The more research I've done the less likely I'm going to be taking them any time soon.

I'm 5 weeks into the low carb diet and I'm going to continue with it until at least my next blood tests in two weeks time. I know I've lost weight and I'm hoping that all my levels are significantly reduced, including my collesterol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Make sure you get the full lipids included with your forthcoming cholesterol test, and that you fast for it, even though you probably will not be told to do so. Some doctors are trying to save money by not doing the full lipid test. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I have afib as well Toto but I cannot take beta blockers and needed a pace maker for repeated 4 sec heart pauses. I have Pradaxa to stop clots forming due to slow afib. With afib one needs to keep potassium up near 5.0. I am also on eplerenone, a potassium sparing diuretic, for sodium caused htn and suspected heart failure. But life is wonderful I will have been married 55 years tomorrow! atb Derek

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Happy hippy

Happy hippy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Now I'm frightened.
    I've been taking Atorvastatin for many years.
    I'm type two. !

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. Happy hippy

Happy hippy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

After reading all on this page I'm really worried I'm type two and have been taking Atorvastatin for many years.
    I don't take metformin since 2009 as it inter feared with meds for my ulcerative colitis and I became very ill ended up in hospital for two months.
    My sugars have been in the teens for several years now and now I take 38 units insulin am.
    Also take Gliclazide and pioglitazone.
    I think I should stop the Atorvastatin!!!
    Maddy

9. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Although I'm a person who no longer takes a statin, I did it because I was in pain, I had brain fog and slept badly. I had also managed to reduce my total cholesterol to 3 by lowering carbs. I had read an awful lot about statins (I was even more confused about what to do), but it was my personal experience that made me stop. Initially my TC went up to 5.4 but was only 4 last December.

If statins aren't causing you any problems, why stop? It's important to remember that we are all so very different that what's good for one person isn't so good for someone else. We have all had such different experiences with statins and it's better to act on your own experiences and not someone else's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I noticed that, old news really, but I wasn't tempted to buy the paper. I'll read your link instead. LOL Me a cheapskate? Never!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Because it is acording to some highly likely that many adverse effects of statins aren't immediately obvious and though you may think you are not having problems with them they are still doing you damage.

In the same way high blood sugar levels may be asymptomatic but are still damaging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lindisfel

If you read on after the negative article above there are also links to articles that say how benificial statins are and other negative articles. I just shows one should ignore the kind of peer pressure we get and make a balanced decision based on the totality of the evidence. If that is too much for ones brain to take in we perhaps should follow the advice of our health care professionals. D.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NoCrbs4Me

You mean the HCPs that tell type 2 diabetics to eat lots of carbs and limit dietary fat? No, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. lindisfel

I knew somebody who went to quacks rather than doctors then they went too late because they found to their cost they were terminally ill due cancer. If you don't believe in doctors that is not my problem! I saw my daughter, a doctor, 25years ago save her mothers life, I would not have known how to do it.

16. NoCrbs4Me

I didn't say I don't "believe in doctors", but I've learned not to blindly assume an HCP's advice is always optimal. That's just foolish. If I did, I'd still have diabetes.

17. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

There are doctors and then there doctors like the one at our GP's practice who on Monday refused to prescribe my daughter antibiotics for an abscess of the mouth on the grounds that it was now policy that she should get a prescription from a dentist.

She was lucky enough to get an emergency appointment at a dentist's who was astounded at the stupidity of the GP.

A medical degree does not make you infallible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. NoCrbs4Me

19. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook