Type 2 and cycling

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@tristan as you are serious about cycling the "Fixingdad" team have a virtual club over on www.strava.com and you down load the app and cycle alongside 20 or more cyclists. You start the app as you head out on your ride at the end of the ride just switch the app off and upload the data to your own store of data and see how you're progressing over time. I'm in training with my recumbent bike at the moment and I am getting faster and more accustomed to it. It uses different muscle groups than a conventional diamond framed bike.. . I've been more aggressive lately with my cycling and I did a bunch of miles last month. & I do feel healthier these days...

Reactions: tristan

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yea that's cool !!! I'm already on Strava so il look the group up.

Now a member

Cheers

Slalom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I exercise a fair bit cycled 245 miles last month, 122 so far this month, and I usually hike 10+ miles on a Sunday.

I go for Carbs at breakfast slow release unrefined ones with an orange and black coffee, I have done this for over 20 years, it means the ride has to be seriously long before I need to snack. Always Start gently after each stop. Our group usually stops at a cafe on the longer rides and I have a bacon Sandwich and a glass of water.

May do Lejog in September.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I exercise a fair bit cycled 245 miles last month, 122 so far this month, and I usually hike 10+ miles on a Sunday.

I go for Carbs at breakfast slow release unrefined ones with an orange and black coffee, I have done this for over 20 years, it means the ride has to be seriously long before I need to snack. Always Start gently after each stop. Our group usually stops at a cafe on the longer rides and I have a bacon Sandwich and a glass of water.

May do Lejog in September.

@Slalom

That's decent riding 60 miles / week. A good number of my T2DM neighbours barely get out their front doors to walk to the shops let alone power a bike more than 10 miles. Looking at your avatar (and seeing that you are new to this blog) may I suggest you go to Youtube and look at videos from

1) Dr Micheal Mosely & his 5&2 Diet.
2) Professor Valter Longo, his material on FMD & how fasting is a very important part of life for anyone who wants to live long and healthy.
3) Dr. Jason Fung and his work on Intermittent fasting
4) Professor Roy Taylor of Newcastle MRI center and his work on T2DM reversal
& finally
5) If you really want inspiration on your bike rides join https://www.strava.com/mobile down load the app and join the "Fixingdad" club on there. https://www.strava.com/clubs/fixingdad #GetFixing

I hope I've not offended this weblog admins by somewhat hijacking the thread here!

Last edited:

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on Strava in https://www.strava.com/clubs/INFA_WW

leading last week climbing

@Slalom Kewl! Have you seen

http://www.fixingdad.com/watch-the-film

movie yet? Geoff Whitington's sons are on a mission to #FixingTheWorld one diabetic at a time! Have a listen to Valter Longo too

The sooner you get up to speed on this disease the faster you can put it into remission. Geoff Whitington was a 10 year diabetic and he reversed his condition. Here's to us all putting our T2DM into remission ASAP!.. & BTW if you join the "Fixingdad Club" on Strava you'll give us flatlanders some competition. I've got a friend who wants me to go on a tour around Colorado for a month and climb 75,000 feet! On my recumbent too! This cyclist is nutz for my poor old tired knees!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have joined second most climbing last week

@Slalom
There's at least one or two serious KOM riders in the " https://www.strava.com/clubs/FixingDad " "Fixingdad club".. They do need some catching.. I'm having a fasting day today with the 5+2 Mosely diet so little food as possible. I tend to put in a ride but not go full bore as it were when I am not truly eating a big packed lunch/dinner

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found I haven't been cycling as I didn't want to take the carbs on in the first place. So certainly won't Be cycling two I can eat what I want. But thanks for your advice. I think from now on il be riding as normal. Electrolyte tabs in my bottle and treat myself to a recovery shake at the end. Like you say as long as I am not having them everyday and my diet is right they won't be too harmful. With any luck. I'm more keen to learn how to eat correctly both on and off the bike. Riding the bike should help me get into a better place. Pun intended

@tristan

I've seen Campagnolo guy over on Strava as in, is that your good self? As a new to this platform, I figured you should have a read of this thread

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...cell-regeneration-to-reverse-diabetes.116847/

I'm doing the FMD and getting good results so far.. I won't fully know where I'll end up but I am getting way better numbers with the FMD.. I hope this helps..

Best wishes

LBB

Reactions: tristan and ickihun

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Most of this is a bit alien to me.

I try to stick to LCHF including when cycling, certainly not looking at exercise as a justification for carbing up.

I don't do more than 35 miles on one ride but I don't eat anything during the ride or immediately after.

As I am (hopefully) fat adapted a cup of coffee loaded with butter and cream in the morning gives me my fat fix and if that runs out I switch over to stored fat during the ride. Trying to balance exercise and carbohydrates is very likely to kick you out of ketosis if you have managed to get into ketosis in the first place.

I suspect sandwiches (whatever the filling) don't mix with low carbing.

I may be missing something but people seem to be looking to cycling to help them maintain their previous eating style. To my mind you go high fat for everything.

Em1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
hi all. Been on here a few weeks. I am a newly diagnosed cyclist and am a little concerned about what to eat while cycling. Or this will apply to any exercise I guess. I would usually have a carb drink in my bottle when I go out, to fuel me for 3-4 hours of riding. But I was told to stay away from carbs and sugars, so that has kind of got me stumped. What should I be using to keep me going on a ride. I'm guessing now I'm measuring my sugars and managing myself better that once exercising my sugars are going to drop. What should I be eating to keep myself going

A newly diagnosed cyclist. How do I get diagnosed as a cyclist? He he

Reactions: tristan

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
hello

For me I take small chocolate bars, crisps, I share a banana with my riding buddies, I have Jelly beans in case of going really low. I know some will disagree and that is fine, this is my experience and my body.

Hydration is massively important, guess you already know that if you do 60miles at a time.

Endurance sports are an odd thing, after almost a marathon of running and cycling off road in a competition I was at 3.3. Wondered why I had trouble staying focused and had to literally lift my legs up.
So why is this important.
Two things, I wish I had done the distance under conditions where I could have tested every 30 minutes to see what my level drop off was, I could then have tested foods to see what is good and what is not so good.

I wish I had started the comp with my levels at almost 7 and with the knowledge from the testing I would have had stayed in my ideal power range, 5 to 7 for me.

Whilst I am not advocating eating what you want when you want it is in my opinion easier to manage an occasional high when doing sport than a low, which lets face it has the potential to let mistakes happen quickly and have serious consequences.

Take the time to explore what works for you, it is away from the normal daily diet and supports you having fun and doing things in life that make it worth the fight. Believe me the doctor said I wouldn't skydive again on diagnosis. He was wrong, so wrong, but I had a lot of learning to do to stay safe and understand hypoxia, Adrenalin, constant heat on the ground, sub zero at high altitude, hydration to name a few things.

The point is if you want this then go experiment, you will get an idea of good vs. bad really quickly but never give up on the things you love.

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HBAC1 reduced from 93-52. Can't believe that, Cycling combined with LCHF. Is working well

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Below 50 in is normal glucose levels so ideally with more effort I could reverse this curse. My problem is working ****** shifts, mainly night shifts. So I'm really proud of this result