Type 2 and cycling

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi all. Been on here a few weeks. I am a newly diagnosed cyclist and am a little concerned about what to eat while cycling. Or this will apply to any exercise I guess. I would usually have a carb drink in my bottle when I go out, to fuel me for 3-4 hours of riding. But I was told to stay away from carbs and sugars, so that has kind of got me stumped. What should I be using to keep me going on a ride. I'm guessing now I'm measuring my sugars and managing myself better that once exercising my sugars are going to drop. What should I be eating to keep myself going

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of cycling do you do?
I just take water - if I get tired I stop for ten minutes and take a drink of water - as I'm not in a competition I just wait for my liver to catch up.

Knighthawk22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ahaha !!!
Try the High5 Zero Electrolyte Drink Tablets they work for me and don't effect my readings

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I usually ride 50-60 mile rides at around 15 mph average, I do like to go touring so when touring il ride around 45-75 miles each day for a few days. Manchester to Cardiff. Cardiff to Holyhead. Newcastle to Edinburgh. Are some of the rides I have completed. I was just worried about what to eat mid ride. And if I was ok to have a recovery shake at the end of a ride. I really benefitted from them in the past Stopped me feeling all stiff the next day

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigbassett_

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a glucose meter ? and are you on any medication ?
You might find, like me, that extended periods of exercise will actually raise your BG ? Weird I know, but it's your liver diving in with a glucose dump when it thinks you need it. It happens to quite a few of us on here. You will need to test to find out if you drop or raise BG.. Nuts are a very good low carb energy source.. I snack on almonds to stop the rise, but they would probably help if you drop BG too.

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I have a meter, I have been put on metformin 2 before breakfast and tea. So 4 a day which I'm told is high, I have seen my levels drop since taking so at least it's working, I haven't taken any BG tests while riding, but I will do on my next ride out, be interesting to see which way it goes

Reactions: daisyduck

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New to red wine, or any wine, was a big lager drinker till I cut it completely.

I'm up to cycling 140+ miles / week at the moment.(& I'm about to up that number) I have good control of my T2DM but no remission yet. I usually have a late lunch before I go for my ride then have lots of water & a big apple for a pseudo dinner. Have a watch of www.fixingdad.com as Geoff put his 10 year experience of T2DM into remission. I am hoping cycling and praying for a similar outcome..

LBB

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have a meter, I have been put on metformin 2 before breakfast and tea. So 4 a day which I'm told is high, I have seen my levels drop since taking so at least it's working, I haven't taken any BG tests while riding, but I will do on my next ride out, be interesting to see which way it goes

Good to hear Metformin is working, without any side effects :) I couldn't tolerate it at all.
Are you cutting down on carbs too ? That will help drop your BG a lot.

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds great to me. I aim to get back to 100+ miles a week in the spring. I have dropped off as I wasn't sure if I would go funny on a ride. Feel a lot more confident about it after your help on here. So thanks

Reactions: daisyduck

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good to hear Metformin is working, without any side effects :) I couldn't tolerate it at all.
Are you cutting down on carbs too ? That will help drop your BG a lot.
Yes reduced my carbs a lot, so looking forward to getting my levels checked at the end of April next. Not really had any trouble with metformin, a couple of races to the toilet but that's it. What side effects should I know about from it ??

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes reduced my carbs a lot, so looking forward to getting my levels checked at the end of April next. Not really had any trouble with metformin, a couple of races to the toilet but that's it. What side effects should I know about from it ??

The toilet race is the most common ! I had the less common headache and nausea too. I persevered for 11 weeks but felt so bad it wasn't worth it for me.. but it is supposed to be protective in other ways too, so it's good you can tolerate it... If the loo race gets too bad there is a slow release version which is kinder.
The only other thing I've read on here is it can sometimes cause a vitamin B12 deficiency in the long term, but that doesn't seem to happen to everyone.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tristan
Sounds like you're doing well :) You must be pretty fit to be able to do all those miles - well done.

Metformin can upset the gut and cause too many urgent trips to the loo, plus a lot of discomfort/pain etc, hence some can't tolerate it well. I have to say, I take 4 tabs daily, ie 2gms total, and don't have any unwanted effects, except perhaps vit B deficiency which is in the process of 'discussion' with my GP - unfortunately, GPs seem to know little of this and it's often misdiagnosed so maybe worth keeping a note incase you start to develop symptoms at some point, although you may not get any symptoms ;)

Just a thought, something you might like to consider re keeping an eye on your glucose levels re regular cycling is the Freestyle Libre. It's certainly not cheap but, being a 'flash glucose monitor' can monitor your glucose levels 24/7, also showing trends (in graph form) and up/down arrows etc. I was just thinking this would be much easier for you to see what is happening when you eat, cycle etc. It may be worth you checking it out, seeing as you intend to be cycling for such distance/long period of time etc.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/abbott-freestyle-libre.html

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/

There is also a forum for Freestyle Libre (Glucose Monitoring) here - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/blood-glucose-monitoring.42/

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The toilet race is the most common ! I had the less common headache and nausea too. I persevered for 11 weeks but felt so bad it wasn't worth it for me.. but it is supposed to be protective in other ways too, so it's good you can tolerate it... If the loo race gets too bad there is a slow release version which is kinder.
The only other thing I've read on here is it can sometimes cause a vitamin B12 deficiency in the long term, but that doesn't seem to happen to everyone.
Il ask them to check my B12 just so I know. Not really causing me any issues. So il stick to it. Just joined the low carb plan on here. The 10 week thing. Hoping that should help educate me what to eat and have to change my eating habits for the better.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I Think if you do low carb all other time of your life Then you could drink like 5 grams of carbs Pro hour when you ride your bike, Then I am sure you also use it all and it does not build up it is not much But can probably prevent you from going too low . Besides that the High5 zero is a very good suggestion . I use similar kinds when I excercise for many hours 5-6 hours at a time. You could try to measure How much your blood sugar lowers on a ride to actually know if it is a true problem , my blood glucose hardly ever gods down even after 5 hours maybe half a mmol not more than that ...

But dont use your bike as a reason to eat more carbs than fundamentally needed Your biking on low carb could be your way to a bettered / lowered insuline resistance

( I am on 2x 850mg metformin a day )

Reactions: tristan

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @tristan
Sounds like you're doing well :) You must be pretty fit to be able to do all those miles - well done.

Metformin can upset the gut and cause too many urgent trips to the loo, plus a lot of discomfort/pain etc, hence some can't tolerate it well. I have to say, I take 4 tabs daily, ie 2gms total, and don't have any unwanted effects, except perhaps vit B deficiency which is in the process of 'discussion' with my GP - unfortunately, GPs seem to know little of this and it's often misdiagnosed so maybe worth keeping a note incase you start to develop symptoms at some point, although you may not get any symptoms ;)

Just a thought, something you might like to consider re keeping an eye on your glucose levels re regular cycling is the Freestyle Libre. It's certainly not cheap but, being a 'flash glucose monitor' can monitor your glucose levels 24/7, also showing trends (in graph form) and up/down arrows etc. I was just thinking this would be much easier for you to see what is happening when you eat, cycle etc. It may be worth you checking it out, seeing as you intend to be cycling for such distance/long period of time etc.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/abbott-freestyle-libre.html

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/

There is also a forum for Freestyle Libre (Glucose Monitoring) here - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/blood-glucose-monitoring.42/
Didn't even know of such things. They look ace. Il see how I get on with normal testing for now. I'm amazed that doctors don't know about the link between metformin and B12. Il keep an eye on that. I have a lot to learn about this. I have obviously been abusing myself for far too long. The cycling is easy you just build it up. Anyone can do it. The trick is having or finding nice people to cycle with

Reactions: Freema and Energize

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I Think if you do low carb all other time of your life Then you could drink like 5 grams of carbs Pro hour when you ride your bike, Then I am sure you also use it all and it does not build up it is not much But can probably prevent you from going too low . Besides that the High5 zero is a very good suggestion . I use similar kinds when I excercise for many hours 5-6 hours at a time. You could try to measure How much your blood sugar lowers on a ride to actually know if it is a true problem , my blood glucose hardly ever gods down even after 5 hours maybe half a mmol not more than that ...

But dont use your bike as a reason to eat more carbs than fundamentally needed Your biking on low carb could be your way to a bettered / lowered insuline resistance

( I am on 2x 850mg metformin a day )
I found I haven't been cycling as I didn't want to take the carbs on in the first place. So certainly won't Be cycling two I can eat what I want. But thanks for your advice. I think from now on il be riding as normal. Electrolyte tabs in my bottle and treat myself to a recovery shake at the end. Like you say as long as I am not having them everyday and my diet is right they won't be too harmful. With any luck. I'm more keen to learn how to eat correctly both on and off the bike. Riding the bike should help me get into a better place. Pun intended

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found I haven't been cycling as I didn't want to take the carbs on in the first place. So certainly won't Be cycling two I can eat what I want. But thanks for your advice. I think from now on il be riding as normal. Electrolyte tabs in my bottle and treat myself to a recovery shake at the end. Like you say as long as I am not having them everyday and my diet is right they won't be too harmful. With any luck. I'm more keen to learn how to eat correctly both on and off the bike. Riding the bike should help me get into a better place. Pun intended

Hey I found This on the subbject http://www.bicycling.com/food/eat-light-your-bike?amp

Being diabetic type 2 it is better to eat in forhand and burn the carbs than to at the end fill up

Last edited:
Reactions: Knighthawk22