Type 2 and cycling

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New to red wine, or any wine, was a big lager drinker till I cut it completely.
I was a bitter drinker. There are some low carb beers on the market. Marstons Resolution and Coors light spring to mind. The Coors ain't stella, but might allow you an occasional treat

Reactions: tristan

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found I haven't been cycling as I didn't want to take the carbs on in the first place. So certainly won't Be cycling two I can eat what I want. But thanks for your advice. I think from now on il be riding as normal. Electrolyte tabs in my bottle and treat myself to a recovery shake at the end. Like you say as long as I am not having them everyday and my diet is right they won't be too harmful. With any luck. I'm more keen to learn how to eat correctly both on and off the bike. Riding the bike should help me get into a better place. Pun intended

@tristan I was reading about Chris Froome too he lowered his weight to win the Tour de France. My BMI at the moment is 24.4 give or take. I am slowly losing weight and I'm conscientiously keeping on the diet I've got. Chris Froome (6'1") and Bradley Wiggins (6'3" very close to my height) both TdF winners have weights in the 150lbs region. I'm 201.2 lbs this morning. I am going to make a serious concerted effort to lower my weight and up my riding to try and find remission. I can still look at my midriff today and know I am carrying just a tad too much weight.. Professor Taylor and Geoff Whitington are leading the way home for us all. I know that Geoff Whitington was 294lbs before his sons got involved, and I was recently told Geoff's weight is now 180lbs.

One more thing, I've noticed, is that by lowering the carbs, it makes one less hungry, so its less of a fight to get to lowering one's weight Here's to lower weights and T2DM in remission!

FWIW still cycling 140-150 miles/week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelofthemarches

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's inspiring to read. I have commuted every day this week and it seems to have kick started my weight loss again. I have been watching my weight lower, but it seemed to stall. Well cycling has started it again, 3 lbs loss this week so happy with that. Just need to build up the miles now myself. I have been reading a lot about elivar products. They have a big focus on lower carbs and trying to limit sugar spices. So I may be tempted to try their recovery products in the future. SIS products are packed with sugar and I have actually threw all my stash away out of disgust !!!! I am getting to a better place. Slowly. But getting there

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I laughed - my weight,, back in the days when I rode a racing cycle and had a 24 inch waist was 147lb.
No one believed me, as I looked a lot smaller, being muscular. I used to go caving, hill walking, and sailing too - and did karate and yoga - when my time was my own.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's inspiring to read. I have commuted every day this week and it seems to have kick started my weight loss again. I have been watching my weight lower, but it seemed to stall. Well cycling has started it again, 3 lbs loss this week so happy with that. Just need to build up the miles now myself. I have been reading a lot about elivar products. They have a big focus on lower carbs and trying to limit sugar spices. So I may be tempted to try their recovery products in the future. SIS products are packed with sugar and I have actually threw all my stash away out of disgust !!!! I am getting to a better place. Slowly. But getting there

@tristan

When first diagnosed I got from 252lbs to 186lbs but couldn't stay there. I'm now at 201.2lbs this morning but I'm more resolved to lose the weight needed for a remission. I enjoy the cycling on a recumbent too but I'm growing new legs for that bike. I've been told that it takes a full year to fully develop "Bent" legs. I'm about 3 weeks in.. I'm fasting in the mornings and having a chicken salad for lunch. Then later on around 3pm I'm off riding for a 25 mile ride.. Logging it each and every day. Personally eating minimally processed foods if anything at all. After the ride I'm for drinking lots of water, a cuppa tea, and a nice large apple, sequentially as it seems to do the trick..

One thing about Bradley Wiggins he's 6'3" and 157lbs. He's a string bean. If he can do it so can I, (I'm 6'4")

LBB

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just find I can ride 40-50 miles on day 1 on day 2 if I do 40-50 miles again and don't have a recovery drink I find I'm stiff as a board on day 3 and it's a write off the whole day. For the sake of a drink after each ride I'm fine the next day. Every day

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just find I can ride 40-50 miles on day 1 on day 2 if I do 40-50 miles again and don't have a recovery drink I find I'm stiff as a board on day 3 and it's a write off the whole day. For the sake of a drink after each ride I'm fine the next day. Every day

@tristan maybe less is more? So 30 mile rides every day (if) you can find the time?

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't have the time to ride each day due to being a shift worker, but I am already a good rider, with multiple century rides under my belt. Maybe your right smaller rides more often

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't have the time to ride each day due to being a shift worker, but I am already a good rider, with multiple century rides under my belt. Maybe your right smaller rides more often

Well (see www.fixingdad.com the movie) is exactly what Geoff Whitington did.. He did many, many, smaller rides and he was blessed with remission. He was a 10 veteran of T2DM with his foot close to being cut off by a surgeon. I've been fortunate to be able to eat then cycle. That way I don't have high glucose levels running around my veins all the time making me sicker. So I've just now eaten and in about 20 minutes I'll be off riding and working off whatever carbs I've consumed and then getting my body's system back under control for getting into bed later on tonight. Does that make sense? Geoff has been more careful than I on the carbs he's eaten and so he's now got remission. Who knows where perseverance can take one?? .

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
West coast of America.. I was thinking of riding from Seattle to LA this summer but its a long ride..
Sounds amazing. Would love to do that one day. Maybe taking a trip to America next year, but not sure if it will be the east or west coast. Certainly beats cycling in the U.K. Saying that. I bet you would love to cycle over here. I love touring. I am cycling from Manchester to Lyme Regis this August. Looking forward to that trip.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do what Chris Froome does.. go low carb and don't worry about eating mid ride.. once you are fat adapted you won't get tired anyway.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2016...led-chris-froome-three-tour-de-france-titles/

I'm afraid that's a myth.

From the man himself.
https://www.redbulletin.com/uk/en/sports/chris-froomes-cycling-nutrition-tips

carb up on race days.

And for the mid ride -
'On mountain stages, I prepare my own bottle that contains two espressos and a lot of sugar or honey'

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that's a myth.

From the man himself.
https://www.redbulletin.com/uk/en/sports/chris-froomes-cycling-nutrition-tips

carb up on race days.

And for the mid ride -
'On mountain stages, I prepare my own bottle that contains two espressos and a lot of sugar or honey'

We may not know exactly the specifics of Froome's food consumption during a race day but we do know he lost 22lbs to going from 167lbs to 145lbs and he's also 6'1" so he's no midget either. At 167 his BMI is 22 and at 145 its about 19.1

http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-froome-weight-loss-tour-de-france-2016-7

Lets not forget that there is a big difference from losing weight to to get a better power to weight ratio than food consumption during race days too. My BMI is 24.5 so while I should not be considered over weight, I can pinch more than an 1" (putting it mildly). I've sensed that by dropping my carb intake (as in LCHF) diet, I can steadily lose weight and follow Geoff Whitington into remission. The aim here for me is to put my condition into remission. I hope that my perception / explanation makes sense and doesn't upset anyone..

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We may not know exactly the specifics of Froome's food consumption during a race day but we do know he lost 22lbs to going from 167lbs to 145lbs and he's also 6'1" so he's no midget either. At 167 his BMI is 22 and at 145 its about 19.1

http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-froome-weight-loss-tour-de-france-2016-7

Lets not forget that there is a big difference from losing weight to to get a better power to weight ratio than food consumption during race days too. My BMI is 24.5 so while I should not be considered over weight, I can pinch more than an 1" (putting it mildly). I've sensed that by dropping my carb intake (as in LCHF) diet, I can steadily lose weight and follow Geoff Whitington into remission. The aim here for me is to put my condition into remission. I hope that my perception / explanation makes sense and doesn't upset anyone..

The thread's about the cycling days, not the diet for weight loss, from your link he appears to start with porridge and white rice, so confirmation it's high carb I guess.
The portion control was another thing to maintain the loss of weight as well though, but not really relevant to this thread.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thread's about the cycling days, not the diet for weight loss, from your link he appears to start with porridge and white rice, so confirmation it's high carb I guess.
The portion control was another thing to maintain the loss of weight as well though, but not really relevant to this thread.

He still eats a lot lower carb than 95% of the population. So he's not following the eatwell plate either...

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds amazing. Would love to do that one day. Maybe taking a trip to America next year, but not sure if it will be the east or west coast. Certainly beats cycling in the U.K. Saying that. I bet you would love to cycle over here. I love touring. I am cycling from Manchester to Lyme Regis this August. Looking forward to that trip.

@tristan I'm sure that that will be a wicked ride.. I've a hankering / and fancy a ride from Paris to Lisbon and plenty of cheese / roast chicken "En baguettes" along the way. If one was cycling 50+ miles / day that I'm sure the cycling would take care of the baguette carby thingy lol.. Oh for the glory days .. On a positive note I'm experiencing less neuropathy with my DP and that these 111-ish mg/dl numbers are coming more under control by mid morning.. I've cycled 324miles as of this month so far..

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On my long cycles, i take gels and other carb products.

I am burning the calories so I don't worry

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my long cycles, i take gels and other carb products.

I am burning the calories so I don't worry

@MDHalstead

If that's a recent photo of you, you look in great shape. As a matter of interest to all cyclists how much riding / week are you doing? Its skinny diabetics that blow me away. I met one guy who was pre-diabetic and put himself into complete remission and he had a "Normal" BMI when we met out riding.. My BMI is about 24.4 or so now so that's good but I could have a BMI of 20-21 and who knows maybe I'll get the remission I'm looking for...