multiwave bolus

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how do you do a multiwave bolus for pasta and rice? do you put the higher percentage first or the lower percentage first? Also is it really needed for rice and is it only used for pasta?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
how do you do a multiwave bolus for pasta and rice? do you put the higher percentage first or the lower percentage first? Also is it really needed for rice and is it only used for pasta?

I use multi-wave for dishes like lasagna, spaghetti bolognese (where there's a combination of high-carb/high fat), for rice I just use a normal bolus unless the rice is part of a Chinese meal, for example a chicken curry.

I generally use a 60/40 split but it is trial & error to find which split best works for you, sorry I can't be more specific @IceLover

Reactions: JimC and azure

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use multi-wave for dishes like lasagna, spaghetti bolognese (where there's a combination of high-carb/high fat), for rice I just use a normal bolus unless the rice is part of a Chinese meal, for example a chicken curry.

I generally use a 60/40 split but it is trial & error to find which split best works for you, sorry I can't be more specific @IceLover
over how long would you do the 60/40?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
over how long would you do the 60/40?

That depends on the meal, just experiment yourself and once you find the right combination write it down for future reference.

Reactions: azure

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just recently started pumping and have been experimenting with the duel wave/Combi Bolus for bread. Whether it's white,brown or wholemeal I get rather large spikes about an hour or so after eating. The bread seems to start raising blood sugar after about 30 mins and keeps rising for about an hour. What seems to work for me is a 15 min pre bolus 85/15 split the 15% extended for 30 minutes so far this has curbed the spike to rising only 4 mmol. Hope this continues can't live without my beef sandwiches:)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine varies but I always do multi wave, also depends upon pre-meal BG's, if below 5.5 then I reduce the initial dose and increase the longer one.

Breakfast - 50% initial then 50% over 75mins (for sugar free muesli, 55gms).
Lunch - 25% initial then 75% over 75mins (mostly salad, 25gms).
Evening meal - 25% initial then 75% over 75mins (mostly potato based, 50gms).

For pasta, pastry, bread I adjust to suit me but normally 50% followed by 50% with time extended to suit. For an indian curry can be 2 hrs.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just recently started pumping and have been experimenting with the duel wave/Combi Bolus for bread. Whether it's white,brown or wholemeal I get rather large spikes about an hour or so after eating. The bread seems to start raising blood sugar after about 30 mins and keeps rising for about an hour. What seems to work for me is a 15 min pre bolus 85/15 split the 15% extended for 30 minutes so far this has curbed the spike to rising only 4 mmol. Hope this continues can't live without my beef sandwiches:)

:) it was for this reason I stopped eating bread unless I had no choice.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:) it was for this reason I stopped eating bread unless I had no choice.
Bread to me is the most precious thing in the world, I genuinely don't think I could survive without it:) It is however, as you've said - a disaster for spikes.

Although the MDI approach is entirely different, I've seen myself take a 45min pre-bolus to stay <7mmol/l for some amazing sandwiches!

@Postleneo, you may manage to reduce your spiking action by increasing the time between your initial bolus and starting your meal.

I rarely have meals where my pre-bolus isn't below 30 minutes.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As others have said its trial and error for the dual wave.....

I only need it for pizza....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bread to me is the most precious thing in the world, I genuinely don't think I could survive without it:) It is however, as you've said - a disaster for spikes.

Although the MDI approach is entirely different, I've seen myself take a 45min pre-bolus to stay <7mmol/l for some amazing sandwiches!

@Postleneo, you may manage to reduce your spiking action by increasing the time between your initial bolus and starting your meal.

I rarely have meals where my pre-bolus isn't below 30 minutes.

Don't get me wrong - I ate bread for 40yrs until I realised the issues it was causing me, I still have it very occasionally.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It just goes to show how we are all different @GrantGam, I eat a sandwich most days for lunch and a 20-25 min pre-bolus is sufficient :)