An avid fan of LCHF but reduced appetite?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi, Ive been following the LCHF regime for a while now and it suits me and my way of living which is handy. I am a person with Type 1 Diabetes, on a pump and using CGM Sensors, so in theory ready for anything. However, Im really struggling to eat three meals a day ... I can manage two, often breakfast and dinner not always lunch, does it matter? Would welcome some advice, thanks :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just like on MDI you don't have to eat regular meals on a pump, I sometimes skip lunch if I'm busy and it isn't an issue.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet Doctor says eat only when hungry - so personally I wouldn't worry about the number of meals per day.

However I am type 2 so it may be different for you in relation to your insulin dosage.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Diet Doctor says eat only when hungry - so personally I wouldn't worry about the number of meals per day.

However I am type 2 so it may be different for you in relation to your insulin dosage.

Hi Ultramum, thanks for the response. Always good to get other people's responses. Ah yes the diet doctor, I had forgotten about his approach, a good reminder, thanks :)

Reactions: Ultramum

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 2 on MDI and for the past 3 days have only eaten twice a day with coffee n between. Fine so far!

Reactions: Ultramum

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Ive been following the LCHF regime for a while now and it suits me and my way of living which is handy. I am a person with Type 1 Diabetes, on a pump and using CGM Sensors, so in theory ready for anything. However, Im really struggling to eat three meals a day ... I can manage two, often breakfast and dinner not always lunch, does it matter? Would welcome some advice, thanks :)

Hi @sallymac65 . . .

Is there any special reason why you would like to try to eat 3 times per day?

Is it just to follow the official recommendations?
Is it because you have an intuition that 3 meals per day is better / more healthy?

You are already ignoring the official recommendations to eat plenty of whole grains and slow-release Carbs, and I bet you are feeling much better for that!

Remember that the body sends us messages to guide us - when we feel cold it's because the body wants to maintain its core temperature, when we feel tired it's because the body wants rest, when we feel hungry it's because the body wants nutrients. If you're not feeling hungry then it seems like your body is satisfied and doesn't need anything right now.

I'm Type 1 and I eat a Ketogenic/LCHF diet. I just eat once per day (evening meal) because that's all my body seems to want/need. I really enjoy the convenience of this.

I'd say listen to your body and your CGM.

Regards :)
Antony

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @sallymac65, I found that I was struggling to eat breakfast at a traditional time, so I extended the time most days to around 11.00 am. My evening meal is usually between 17.00 and 18.00. because of this I have ended up with 2 meals a day doing circa a 16 / 6 intermittent fast. I do not think there is a science base that proves 3, 2 or 1 meal a day is best.

If you are not having snacks, 2 meals a day I assume will make your insulin requirements less.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat twice a day and have been eating low carb for a very long time, it just doesn't seem necessary to have three meals a day. I am trying to move my meals further apart as that seems to work better with diabetes, keeping numbers lower than eating at the crack of noon as had become my habit - and oh look, it is almost 2 am again.
Time for bed.
Said Zebedee.