Hit a plateau while 5:2 fasting!!

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anybody else got a similar experience?
I started 5:2 in January and was steadily losing a pound each week, however, for the last 3 weeks my weight has maintained,
I haven't taken any measurements yet as I only do these every 4 weeks, but I really seem to have hit a plateau. I have tried
eating only once a day with my calorie allowance, don't feel like I could go totally without and rely on liquids for so long.
It does make me want to give up, but if this is normal will carry on, just wondered if anybody else has experienced the same?:(

Reactions: Freema

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, I did. But then I hit a plateau with everything I try. :( Have you tried asking on the Fast Diet forum?

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sarah
I have hit a couple of plateaus but don't do the 5:2 as such.
What are you eating on your 5 days as well as your 2 days .. it could be that your carbs are too high as from my reading 5:2 isn't especially low carb per se as well as not really being fasting.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
On the original TV programme Michael Mosley said the 5:2 diet meant you can eat what you want on the five days you aren't fasting but that's since been changed to limiting intake on those five days to the amount of calories your body needs. I think there is a calculator for this on the Fast Diet website.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sarah_chadwick I think you have done very well to record weight loss for so many weeks. It seems you have 'found' your weight using that regime. If you need to go further 4:3 might help to move things, or even going the whole hog 800 cal Blood sugar diet?
FWIW i tend to do 1 day a week now just to maintain current weight

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, thanks everyone. On my non fasting days I follow a LCHF diet, rarely eat over my daily allowance. I think I might try the 4:3 the next 2 weeks while off work, (I break up from school this week) and it will be easier while at home as I keep myself busy and have a long 'jobs list!' and I won't be tempted by chocolates etc. for Easter as I don't like it anyway, might be partial to the odd hot cross bun though! If I have no success then I might give the 800 cal blood sugar diet a go. thanks x

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy to report that I had a 3 pound loss this week (despite a couple of hot cross buns and a few glasses of cider!) so all is well
and back on track....onwards and upwards! :) Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be that you are eating too little - I could never lose weight on low calorie diets, I just shut down, and could hardly function. On higher - actually uncounted calories I am full of energy but low carb will usually cause easy weightloss.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be that you are eating too little - I could never lose weight on low calorie diets, I just shut down, and could hardly function. On higher - actually uncounted calories I am full of energy but low carb will usually cause easy weightloss.
thanks for this. I usually eat between 1500-2000 on my non-fasting days, all low card, I think I just hit a plateau and it seems I'm back to losing again, slowly but surely! thanks x