1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hit a plateau while 5:2 fasting!!

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by sarah_chadwick, Apr 3, 2017.

1. sarah_chadwick

sarah_chadwick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Has anybody else got a similar experience?
    I started 5:2 in January and was steadily losing a pound each week, however, for the last 3 weeks my weight has maintained,
    I haven't taken any measurements yet as I only do these every 4 weeks, but I really seem to have hit a plateau. I have tried
    eating only once a day with my calorie allowance, don't feel like I could go totally without and rely on liquids for so long.
    It does make me want to give up, but if this is normal will carry on, just wondered if anybody else has experienced the same?:(

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Yes, I did. But then I hit a plateau with everything I try. :( Have you tried asking on the Fast Diet forum?

• Like Like x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Hi Sarah
    I have hit a couple of plateaus but don't do the 5:2 as such.
    What are you eating on your 5 days as well as your 2 days .. it could be that your carbs are too high as from my reading 5:2 isn't especially low carb per se as well as not really being fasting.

4. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

On the original TV programme Michael Mosley said the 5:2 diet meant you can eat what you want on the five days you aren't fasting but that's since been changed to limiting intake on those five days to the amount of calories your body needs. I think there is a calculator for this on the Fast Diet website.

5. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@sarah_chadwick I think you have done very well to record weight loss for so many weeks. It seems you have 'found' your weight using that regime. If you need to go further 4:3 might help to move things, or even going the whole hog 800 cal Blood sugar diet?
    FWIW i tend to do 1 day a week now just to maintain current weight

6. sarah_chadwick

Hi, thanks everyone. On my non fasting days I follow a LCHF diet, rarely eat over my daily allowance. I think I might try the 4:3 the next 2 weeks while off work, (I break up from school this week) and it will be easier while at home as I keep myself busy and have a long 'jobs list!' and I won't be tempted by chocolates etc. for Easter as I don't like it anyway, might be partial to the odd hot cross bun though! If I have no success then I might give the 800 cal blood sugar diet a go. thanks x

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. sarah_chadwick

Happy to report that I had a 3 pound loss this week (despite a couple of hot cross buns and a few glasses of cider!) so all is well
    and back on track....onwards and upwards! :) Thanks

8. Angel_wings

Angel_wings Type 2 · Member

Well done to you yes I love hot cross buns to

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It could be that you are eating too little - I could never lose weight on low calorie diets, I just shut down, and could hardly function. On higher - actually uncounted calories I am full of energy but low carb will usually cause easy weightloss.

10. sarah_chadwick

thanks for this. I usually eat between 1500-2000 on my non-fasting days, all low card, I think I just hit a plateau and it seems I'm back to losing again, slowly but surely! thanks x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook