Lidl High Protein Rolls

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems like the No Lidl HP Rolls threat to life as we know it has faded. Now there is just North Korea's nuclear weapons to worry about.
And the general election. One of the parties should put the protection of Lidl protein rolls in their manifesto...!:D

Reactions: LidiaS and Ultramum

LidiaS

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a truly wonderful alternative loaf called Livlife, 3.8 per slice, £1.59 a loaf, Waitrose stocks it, freezes beautifully and tastes divine.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ultramum

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I have just enjoyed half a Lidl roll toasted with portion of haddock, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. Very tasty.
Love that! Also folded smoked salmon with horseradish and creamy strangled eggs on top. Or (today) half roll with Lidl smoked mackerel and horse again.. or...

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a panic last week no rolls and no empty basket for rolls ,rushed to find a staff member .Phew don't worry he said there were non in stock to cook today but they will be coming in soon . I was going away and lidl Ireland don't stock them but I had enough in the freezer to take with me( I stocked up when we had the last scare ) Hopefully on my next visit I can stock the freezer again
CAROL

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to get some from a different Lidl from my usual one; they looked a little smaller than usual, but I've found that sizes do seem to vary, even within the same baking batch. Don't know if they're actgually smaller as I didn't weigh them before freezing, will check when I next defrost one. I don't really mind about the size-v-cost at the mo, because they've been 29p for a long time (well, for the past year since I've been eating them). I'm just glad to have found a store that still stocks them :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been able to get these at 4 for one pound recently - great with kippers or made into cheese on toast.

BST

Type of diabetes
Type 2
aaaaaaah woe! woe! and thrice! wo!! :bigtears: :bigtears: :bigtears:

This morning I travelled for just over an hour to my nearest Lidl to fetch some more rolls. None to be seen anywhere. At first I thought I'd somehow missed the early baking, so looked around for a likely bakery assistant, expecting to be told, its ok, there'll be some in about an hour. Not on your nelly: "sorry, we do't do those anymore; I put the order in but they've been blocked. It's been a few days now." Poor lass had no idea why they've been stopped.

Oh, I'm devastated! Diabetics need those, they're the only bread we can eat (bit of a stretch, but you get my point). I know, she said, I've had other customers saying the same. I've told 'them' (them upstairs) but that's all I can do.

I asked her to report my complaint as well, because the more complaints they get, the better. Can only hope she will.

Has anybody else met with this disaster ? :(
Rolls still available in Southend but an exciting development - Livlife bread available from Waitrose, only 3.8g per slice. Marvellous!

Reactions: Prem51

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been able to get these at 4 for one pound recently - great with kippers or made into cheese on toast.

Me too. Went to stock up last week and found they were as you say, 4 for a pound, so was very pleased to help myself to all that were left in the basket! I only have one very occasionally, but they keep well in the freezer. Haven't tried toasting them yet, but they do indeed go well with kippers for lunch.

Reactions: Prem51

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rolls still available in Southend but an exciting development - Livlife bread available from Waitrose, only 3.8g per slice. Marvellous!

Thanks BST; Since my earlier post I have found another Lidl - still about an hour's drive away but in the opposite direction!

Haven't tried the Livlife yet, but something to keep on the back-burner ready for when needed.

:)

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Asda do Protein Bread but not as nice and at £1.30 for five slices (a lot smaller than the rolls) they are a bit pricey x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also emptied the basket the other day, also at 4 for a £1.
I love the look on the check out person's face every time I go when they see how many I have. I have 2 bags full and have to tell them how many there are to save them diving in to count them.

I love them sliced in half, toasted with a generous spread of butter that all melts in. I tend to have mine with a salad or a fry up.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also emptied the basket the other day, also at 4 for a £1.
I love the look on the check out person's face every time I go when they see how many I have. I have 2 bags full and have to tell them how many there are to save them diving in to count them.

I love them sliced in half, toasted with a generous spread of butter that all melts in. I tend to have mine with a salad or a fry up.
Ha! Having read through this thread, I know who to blame when there are no protein rolls in Lidl..... I think they've been discovered in my neck of the woods because not so long ago there were always loads in the basket; this afternoon I took the last three and two other days last week there were none. Aaargh!! Need to clear space in freezer for Christmas bulk buy. Favourite way is like @bluetit, but close second is half of one toasted, spread with pate and topped with thick circles of cucumber.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ask the sales people if there are any ready to come out of the ovens to go back at the end of my shopping ,or order some and they are happy to put some aside for me
CAROL

Reactions: Jancrystal

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At my store they bake and replenish the baskets at set times of the day so I know which time is best to go to make sure there are enough. I cannot tell you how I feel if I go at a different time and find the basket empty. It's probably like a drug addict that has no heroin. I'm exaggerating, but I do feel awful.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At my store they bake and replenish the baskets at set times of the day so I know which time is best to go to make sure there are enough. I cannot tell you how I feel if I go at a different time and find the basket empty. It's probably like a drug addict that has no heroin. I'm exaggerating, but I do feel awful.

Same at my store; only trouble is I go so seldom that they seem to have changed the timings every time. The fresh-baked section isn't staffed routinely, so it appears to be pot-luck who does the baking (or, I guess, whoever happens to be on baking rota that day). I was lucky this time and got 16 at one go; those'll last me well into the New Year. :)eek: New Year, already!!)

Sadly, I have also had to come away empty-handed on occasion when I've misjudged the times and found the basket empty with no hope of an early replenishment. :meh:
There's someone on here (can't remember who it is), who can buy them frozen/uncooked, to bake at home. Have asked about this at my store but was refused without too much consideration (I thought). Keep wondering if I should email Lidl and ask if they can introduce a bake-at-home version; still just a passing thought at the mo.