Advised to reuse lances? Is that right?

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
At a recent appointment with my diabetic nurse I succeeded in being prescribed a meter and strips, but when I asked about lances I was told there were plenty in the box with the meter and I could just reuse them anyway. Is that really right? My instinct is to use once and replace to maintain good hygiene, but the nurse said it would be fine. What do you do?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm lucky if I change mine once a month. have done for 27+ years, its not an issue I promise

Reactions: Peppergirl

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I change mine each time I start a new pot of strips.

Reactions: Ultramum

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Though the scree that comes with lancets advises that they are for single use only I like most people here do reuse them a lot without problems.

Just thought I'd add if by some mischance you do get an infection if you have reused the lancet you cannot complain to the manufacturer obviously.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you have elephant hide type skin which would blunt the needle in one use, providing you have cleaned your hands before testing then I see no reason for changing the needle every time, I change mine once a week if I remember or if it hurts more than usual.

Reactions: Dodo and coxymk2

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the same as satindoll, change once a week as a rule, or when it hurts (which usually means I forgot to change it the week before).

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it was just me using them more than once, though I have to say they are always on my repeat prescription and I am shocked that any nurse would say to reuse them as an official line.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't remember when I last changed mine. I've never had any problems.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Single use only for myself.

Someone has previously posted a photo on this subject, afraid I can't remember who.

I guess it's what we each feel most 'comfortable' with.

Reactions: Namztorb

pattifaye

Your nurse should not have told you to reuse as they are classified as single use only. They do go blunt after a couple of uses and I find they hurt then. I tend to change each day.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Because we all seem to misuse them it doesn't make it ok . They are classified as single use to guard against infection. How quickly they go blunt has nothing to do with it.

as @pattifaye says the nurse should not have given the advise she did.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just run out - I think that a box of 100 is about £7, so I will go get more.
I only use them once - I play guitar and recorder - I would find both a lot harder to do if I got an infected finger. The sewing and knitting would suffer too.
Changing every time has meant that I have not had as much as a twinge - ever.
After over 5 months of testing my finger tips remain unchanged - I hope that will continue.

Reactions: Bradcardiff_

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I change mine once a day, usually first thing in the morning.

TBH how often you change the lancet is a personal choice, but the manufacturers do state that they are for single use.

Reactions: spook_kate_

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
At a recent appointment with my diabetic nurse I succeeded in being prescribed a meter and strips, but when I asked about lances I was told there were plenty in the box with the meter and I could just reuse them anyway. Is that really right? My instinct is to use once and replace to maintain good hygiene, but the nurse said it would be fine. What do you do?

Hi NatJS my nurse told me they are once only use as they become blunt and to reduce infection.