Low Carb and IDT2D - slow fat loss?

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Hi everyone,

I'm and Insulin Dependent T2D and I've been very low carbing for about 4 weeks now. The great news is how much less Insulin I now take. For an evening meal I used to take anywhere between 20-30 units of Humalog, and now I'm around 10 or fewer units. Which is fab. And my BG readings have never been better.. sitting around 6.

I am also in Ketosis, which is great as I'm now in fat-burn mode. However, I still need to take the Insulin as the Liver produces its own glucose, and protein in consumed meat can also be converted into glucose. And to stay around BG 6 I need to dose up at meals.

So, even though I am in Ketosis (fat burn) but also having to take Insulin (counters fat burn) it just feels like I'm not actually burning fat and losing weight.

Has anyone else found this?
Any tips on burning the fat whilst still having to take Insulin?
Or am I simply having to take the long game on this and simply have to wait longer for the results?

Thanks.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I'm and Insulin Dependent T2D and I've been very low carbing for about 4 weeks now. The great news is how much less Insulin I now take. For an evening meal I used to take anywhere between 20-30 units of Humalog, and now I'm around 10 or fewer units. Which is fab. And my BG readings have never been better.. sitting around 6.

I am also in Ketosis, which is great as I'm now in fat-burn mode. However, I still need to take the Insulin as the Liver produces its own glucose, and protein in consumed meat can also be converted into glucose. And to stay around BG 6 I need to dose up at meals.

So, even though I am in Ketosis (fat burn) but also having to take Insulin (counters fat burn) it just feels like I'm not actually burning fat and losing weight.

Has anyone else found this?
Any tips on burning the fat whilst still having to take Insulin?
Or am I simply having to take the long game on this and simply have to wait longer for the results?

Thanks.
Your profile says type 1?

How's your exercise and what are your food macros like?

If you have already lost a bit of weight, you may just have hit a bit of a plateau - we all do when it comes to dropping weight. A lot of people are quick to point the finger at insulin causing weight gain, but in a lot of instances it's not the case. I can't really comment on your individual situation; as I'm a T1 and don't have insulin resistance; but insulin has never made me put on weight nor has it stood in the way of me loosing weight.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Unfortunately insulin is known to put weight on T2s - the DN told me it would happen when she prescribed it for me and she wasn't wrong. While I was on insulin I gained a stone for every year I used it. I finally started losing weight when I began a VERY low carb way of eating and then reduced then stopped both types of insulin bringing them down very slowly to balance the lack of carbs. This is my own personal experience and I would recommend you talk to your HCP before reducing or discontinuing your insulin..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a true T2 and have insulin resistance, you need more insulin to cover the food you are eating and avoid spikes. The more insulin resistant you are, the more insulin you will need. The more insulin swimming about and being rejected the less likely you are to lose weight. It can be a vicious circle.

I suppose the trick is to reduce the IR and a good way of doing this is exercise.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that my pancreas is still making insulin at the industrial level, which is why it is almost 4 pm and so far today I have eaten a chicken thigh for breakfast, been on a walk there and back to the optician, and just eaten a few grapes as my energy level was really dropping as I crept up to the door, and now I have had a cup of coffee with cream and painkillers.
I have been putting on weight, then trying to find some way to lose it for a while now. I have not got to the stage of considering a 'fat fast' but I have read about it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam Not wishing to be harsh, but why not cut out those grapes? They are 15% carbs and 60% calories, and would have prompted your pancreas to shoot out a lot of insulin, not to mention the fructose debate. You didn't need them, even if energy levels were low. Your coffee and cream would have solved that for you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The grapes are a swift treatment to stop the shaking hands and dropping everything symptoms - not seen them as bad since I was in my early 20s. I was going to try to take a BG level - just got a reading of 31which I very much doubt but now I have dropped everything on the floor. I think I just need to sit quietly for a while and try again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I pushed a bit too hard yesterday - it took quite some time to feel normal again. Perhaps a 'type two hypo' but when I got on the scales this morning I was noticeably lighter.
It does show why it is so hard to lose weight when type two - taking any real exercise can feel like dying. The day before I got a shock when I got a rap across my toes when out at the shops. Luckily I have no problems with low blood supply to my feet, but my adrenal gland must be feeling a bit put upon at the moment.
I do wonder how I managed to get a BG reading of 31 mmol/l - I am sure it was entirely wrong as it was six point something when I managed to pick up all the strips and lancets etc - and that was after the grapes.