LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You may want to download and read this essay called The High Cholesterol Paradox.

Thanks for the link. This, in conjunction with http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/we-have-got-cholesterol-completely-wrong/ convinces me that, as a woman in the mid-60's, high cholesterol is a benevolent state for staying in a reasonable physical condition and reducing the possibility of dementia and other chronic diseases of 'old age'. No guarantees, of course, as other forces can come into play, but we do what we can considering our very different body chemistries.

Back to the point, I started LCHF in May last year, max of 20g carbs, lost 5 stone by mid-December then decided to dial back a bit to see if I could maintain it. Never done that before, in 40 years of HCLF. It worked. I'm fine with 80g, even 100g of carbs as long as sugar and refined carbs are kept way down. TBH, I'd lost my taste for them anyway so it wasn't exactly a hardship. :D

I'm going to have a go at losing the last 1.5 stone after Easter by going keto again, with the help of my newly-acquired dog. He needs exercise, not a lot as he's a rescue ex-racing Greyhound, but my exercise has quadrupled or more since adopting my lovely boy.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my HbA1c back from doctors this morning down from 60 last September and I started low carb diet mid February, today down to 50! I have also lost a stone but this is very slow, think I will need to rethink the high fat bit!
I struggled at the start of my LCHF regimen, but was fortunate to get in contact with Bluetit1802, who guided my daily targets with massive results, including low cholesterol 3.6 and Bh1Ac down from 55 to 42 and a 45 lb weight loss. May I suggest you drop her a private message, and see if she can hone your regimen to garner further results? I found her to be very approachable and very amenable.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I struggled at the start of my LCHF regimen, but was fortunate to get in contact with Bluetit1802, who guided my daily targets with massive results, including low cholesterol 3.6 and Bh1Ac down from 55 to 42 and a 45 lb weight loss. May I suggest you drop her a private message, and see if she can hone your regimen to garner further results? I found her to be very approachable and very amenable.
Thank you I will give that a go when time permits.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings,

Being diagnosed was a huge shock and when I found this forum I gained so much information and support from reading other peoples contributions I think that it's only fair I share my story too.

I was tested in early May after having had a bad bout of something fluish at the end of January and being constantly tired, I'm in my early sixties, had a very mentally challenging job,was borderline depressed and, honestly, very obese, my mother was diagnosed with type2 in her early seventies.

I was recalled for a fasting glucose absorption test after the gp's first blood test results came back. My result was 10.2 (random). At the fasting glucose test my fasting was 9.0 and my 2 hour reading 17.8.

The 'practise nurse' I had an appointment with turned out to be the 'diabetic' nurse, I was given the diet advice sheet (yes the 'eat carb' one), and a couple of web addresses for the NHS and the charity website and told to go away, try to eat 'properly' ,lose some weight and make an appt. in three months for a repeat blood test and appt. at which time we would discuss my being put on metformin.

I came away in shock, my appointment was after I finished work for the day and co-incidentally for some holiday so I sat in the car park and cried, went home and cried to my DH, ate half my dinner and sat down to start learning. My way of dealing with things is to keep my head down and try to become informed and over the next few days I spent a lot of time reading online. Mr G was already retired and he was wonderfully supportive (though he was worried I was being a bit obsessive), he found bits online for me, looked at the diet guidelines I had been given and packed up some things and gave them to the local foodbank.

Following the supportive advice on this forum I decided that, as I had the opportunity to improve my results, I would give it a serious shot. I downloaded a food diary app. (dietorganiser) and started to restrict carbs. to small portions of low GI types as per the diet guidelines. DH had put on weight after retiring, been put on blood pressure medication and been told he would probably need it to be increased at his next check, so he said he would join me.

shortly after that we began to reduce to under 100g of carb per day and to restrict our calories to 1000 -1200,

We don't have potatoes, seldom eat bread and don't have rice or pasta. it was a huge change. I bought a bg meter in July but was frightened to use it, (because I thought if I'd gone through making the diet change and my bg was still the same then it might derail me). Metering began on 16th August and I took a download to my nurse appt. with a copy of my food diary so I could show her I was serious about managing my diabetes.

So, after all that verbiage ^^ here are the stats to back up my belief that I am a success story in progress.

Starting from 31/5/16
BG - fasting 9.0 / 2 hr glucose 17.8 - weight 161kg ( :***: yes too high for the surgery scale, had to use the industrial one at work, I'd put on a lot of weight in the previous year).

at 3 month appt. 30/08/16
HbA1c result was 39 :joyful:
weight 139.1kg.

The nurse was astounded and told me she was delighted with the steps I've taken and to be able mark me as 'currently diet and exercise controlled', she has asked me back for an appt. in three months in early Dec. No blood test but I have to take my bg meter record and diary and she will weigh me again and has told me to book a double appt, so we can discuss my diet regime - which has made me think well of her willingess to learn about LCHF). I'm hoping to get down to 125kg by then, still obese but I'm a work in progress.

To date Mr G went from 81.7kg to 69.5kg and using his own blood pressure monitor has gone, with current medication, from being in the hypertension band to being at the lower end of the pre-hypertension band. He's maintaining his weight at @70kg now and still mostly LCHF with the occasional cracker or roast potato.
His support has been a huge plus for me.

sorry this got so long and thank you all for your help :):)

quick update edit - 6 month from diagnosis visit on 6th. Dec. Nurse weighed me at 119.8 Kg so that's both of us pleased with progress so far :joyful:

Having read the most recent success story posts here and remembering how the posts on this thread inspired me to try low carb healthy fat I felt I should do an update of my progress so far.

It's still a work in progress but both I and the diabetic nurse are happy at the moment.

9 month diabetic nurse appt. was on 7th March 2017
weight 104.3Kg
HbA1c result 29 (blood taken 23/02/17)
next appt to be booked for bloods etc. end August
and nurse visit early Sept.

My diabetic nurse says my T2 is considered 'resolved' (I pointed out that I'd prefer it should be considered as 'in remission' or 'currently under control' - apparently practice manager has designated my T2 'resolved' because I have had two good range HbA1c's in a row).
I've requested that she check whether I will still be called for annual eye checks, I wouldn't want to miss those.

I'm still pretty careful about what I eat because I still have more weight to lose.

My motivation for posting today is that I have, for the first time in my last 25 years, gone under 100Kg. in weight. I thank all of you here for your friendly help, support and inspiration, I couldn't have got this far without the very supportive Mr G, diabetes.co.uk and all of you :joyful:

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having read the most recent success story posts here and remembering how the posts on this thread inspired me to try low carb healthy fat I felt I should do an update of my progress so far.

It's still a work in progress but both I and the diabetic nurse are happy at the moment.

weight 104.3Kg

My diabetic nurse says my T2 is considered 'resolved' (I pointed out that I'd prefer it should be considered as 'in remission' or 'currently under control' - apparently practice manager has designated my T2 'resolved' because I have had two good range HbA1c's in a row).
I've requested that she check whether I will still be called for annual eye checks, I wouldn't want to miss those.

I'm still pretty careful about what I eat because I still have more weight to lose.

My motivation for posting today is that I have, for the first time in my last 25 years, gone under 100Kg. in weight. I thank all of you here for your friendly help, support and inspiration, I couldn't have got this far without the very supportive Mr G, diabetes.co.uk and all of you :joyful:

So pleased with your positive inspiration to both established and newly diagnosed diabetics. Well done!

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

weight 104.3Kg

You've done absolutely brilliantly, an inspiring post. Very, very well done!

Topping 100kg was a serious wake-up call for me - I was too heavy to safely sit in the garden chairs we'd just bought and weighed 20kg more than Mr K, who was seriously worried about my health. I'd probably been around 115kg for over 5 years before facing the scales.

Low carbing works, thank everything, and is sustainable. Carry on, my dear. You're doing so very well. :)

Last edited:

jackthelad69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been a T2 diabetic for 20+ years and have also been a yo-yo dieter,taking weight off and putting it back on again,on a low fat diet.I decided to try LCHF 4 months ago and I have became an avid believer that it really works.

January 2017 - HBA1C 57 Weight 102 kgs Total Cholesterol 3.1 HDL 1.2 ( On a statin) BP 120/70
April 2017 - HBA1C 42 Weight 87 kgs Total Cholesterol 6.2 HDL 1.6 (Without statin) BP 114/60
I am delighted,as is my DN,whom I discovered also has a Low Carb diet!!
This is the best thing that I have ever done for my diabetes and I intend it to be a permanent lifestyle change. Thanks to diabetes.co.uk and the members for the inspiration and encouragement

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I applaud your success, and totally support the sentiments you have expressed. Your positivity matches my own that the LCHF diet is a life changer and cannot be identified enough to all willing to give it a try. Superbly well done JTL! We salute you!

Last edited:

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2

weight 104.3Kg

What an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing. When I recently went below 100 kg for the first time in 20 years it too felt like an important milestone. Well done you!

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great reductions in HbA1c and weight in only 16 weeks @jackthelad69, Well done! Keep up the good work and you should be in the non-diabetic range at your next hbA1c test. :)

Reactions: Freema

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at the start of 2016 with an HBA1C of 97. I discussed options with my GP, including metformin, but felt that i really wanted to try to resol e this myself if possible. It semed stupid to start on medication before trying diet, exercise etc.

I joined this forum and read up about LCHF. In January 2016 i started eating low carb. I live with a husbsnd and two teenage sons and so i just eat what they eat minus the carbs. I work full time so fitting in exercise during the day is a challenge, but i started to go to the gym every night, previously i only went a couple of times a week.

I've now lost 2 stone and my BMI is 23. I did lose a little more but I've put a few pounds on so need to be careful about the fat content of meals and portion size for a bit. Ideally id like my BMI to be 21.

My latest HBA1C test was 37.

I know everyone is different, but I am so glad I tried LCHF eating rather than taking medication.

The one thing that was so important in this was buying a meter, taking readings begore and after every meal, and writing down exactly what i ate. That way i could work out what spiked me and what didn't. I can't imagine being able to get the same control without close monitoring.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed at the start of 2016 with an HBA1C of 97. I discussed options with my GP, including metformin, but felt that i really wanted to try to resol e this myself if possible. It semed stupid to start on medication before trying diet, exercise etc.

I joined this forum and read up about LCHF. In January 2016 i started eating low carb. I live with a husbsnd and two teenage sons and so i just eat what they eat minus the carbs. I work full time so fitting in exercise during the day is a challenge, but i started to go to the gym every night, previously i only went a couple of times a week.

I've now lost 2 stone and my BMI is 23. I did lose a little more but I've put a few pounds on so need to be careful about the fat content of meals and portion size for a bit. Ideally id like my BMI to be 21.

My latest HBA1C test was 37.

I know everyone is different, but I am so glad I tried LCHF eating rather than taking medication.

The one thing that was so important in this was buying a meter, taking readings begore and after every meal, and writing down exactly what i ate. That way i could work out what spiked me and what didn't. I can't imagine being able to get the same control without close monitoring.
Well done with your success. i have one Q to ask - How much is your family involved in your task?

I note you are working your planning around your family i,e, same meal but not taking the carbs, I started like that and hit the usual Eatwell / LF buffers and arguments with family members, But I decided to involve them fully in my planning, and introduced them to an LC Xmas fare. They are not carb restricted, but they have to add the carbs to what is now my living style,So the core of every meal or snack is LC based, and then their pots are added if needed. Quite quickly they all found things like LC Pizza and LC lasagne to be preferred to the carb counterparts, and now they join in with meal planning with their own suggestions for LC fare, They have seen what it did to my waistline, and my bgl, so now there is no longer the LF arguments.
My wife still buys her cream cakes and donuts, but even so she has silently lost more than a stone without trying. I find we can have carby treats in the larder, and coz I feel sated on LCHF I can resist the crisps now, For me the turning point came when I shared my test results with them and shared a couple of LCHF videos.

So now its my snacks and LC goodies, my special bread, my sweetpots, my cream that goes missing from the larder, and their crisps and biscuits have a much longer 'shelf life' now, The others in the house have completely switched to sweetners, wholemeal flour, cauli, whole fat milk, and olive and coconut oil. Bye Bye Eatwell.

So you may find you may be able to shift the emphasis from meals being Their meals to them becoming Your meals, and the carbies in you family may actually find they prefer the new lifestyle. Mine have been converted for nearly 2 years now.

MsMelis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am over the moon at the moment! I found this site and all the information about low carb dieting after a very poor HbA1c testing in January. It was up to 70.5 and my GP put me on yet another drug, Forxiga, and began talking about insulin therapy. However, I didn't add it to my existing drug plan of Metformin and Januvia. Instead I decided to try low carb and upping my exercise. I completed the 10 week low carb course and read David Gavan's book and followed the recommendations. I bought a pedometer and hit 10,000 steps a day. Had another HbA1c test last Wednesday and the doctor emailed the results to me today. My HbA1c is down to 42.1, just a hair above normal for non diabetics. I could see it down in the meter readings but still that's a lot. My GP called it "near miraculous". It really worked.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost about 10Kg since diagnosis with type 2 last October. I now weigh less than I did back in 1996. I started to cut out food containing sugar such as breakfast cereals and then in December I saw a video by Sarah Hallberg which inspired me to look at the LCHF diet. Sarah's video explained that carbohydrates raise blood glucose and excess glucose is stored as fat. Eating low carb allows the body to burn off fat in a process called ketosis. As you lower your intake of carbs you need to compensate by eating more fat in your diet as an alternate fuel which does not spike blood sugars.

In the past I have tried to diet, but always put the weigh back on. With LCHF losing weight has been effortless and have not put it back on again. I found intermittent fasting also helps lose weight and lower blood sugar.

I cut out bread from the start, eating salad for lunch instead. I swapped breakfast cereal first for ready brek, then porridge and finally to a cheese omelette as I found porridge raised my blood sugars to over 10. I stopped eating chips and phased out eating baked potatoes. My consumption of rice was reduced and now I eat cauliflower rice instead. Instead of pasta I now eat spiralized courgette. I have reduced the amount of fruit I eat and now only eat strawberries and cream. I used to drink orange juice, but stopped that as it has a lot of sugar. I now eat a lot more avacodos and nuts (walnuts are a good source of omega 3).

My fasting blood sugars have come down from 13 at diagnosis to about 5.5 now and my HbA1C has dropped from 99 to 44. I have reduced Metformin from two to one 500 Mg pill a day. I intend to stop Metformin once my HbA1C gets below 42 into the non-diabetic range. When I was taking two Metformin the lowest glucose reading I has was 6.2 and I was concerned that going to one a day may raise blood sugar, but I have cut out more carbs since then and the glucose reading now are lower, typically in the 5s.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Prem51

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am over the moon at the moment! I found this site and all the information about low carb dieting after a very poor HbA1c testing in January. It was up to 70.5 and my GP put me on yet another drug, Forxiga, and began talking about insulin therapy. However, I didn't add it to my existing drug plan of Metformin and Januvia. Instead I decided to try low carb and upping my exercise. I completed the 10 week low carb course and read David Gavan's book and followed the recommendations. I bought a pedometer and hit 10,000 steps a day. Had another HbA1c test last Wednesday and the doctor emailed the results to me today. My HbA1c is down to 42.1, just a hair above normal for non diabetics. I could see it down in the meter readings but still that's a lot. My GP called it "near miraculous". It really worked.
Congratulations. You must feel very pleased

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done with your success. i have one Q to ask - How much is your family involved in your task?

I note you are working your planning around your family i,e, same meal but not taking the carbs, I started like that and hit the usual Eatwell / LF buffers and arguments with family members, But I decided to involve them fully in my planning, and introduced them to an LC Xmas fare. They are not carb restricted, but they have to add the carbs to what is now my living style,So the core of every meal or snack is LC based, and then their pots are added if needed. Quite quickly they all found things like LC Pizza and LC lasagne to be preferred to the carb counterparts, and now they join in with meal planning with their own suggestions for LC fare, They have seen what it did to my waistline, and my bgl, so now there is no longer the LF arguments.
My wife still buys her cream cakes and donuts, but even so she has silently lost more than a stone without trying. I find we can have carby treats in the larder, and coz I feel sated on LCHF I can resist the crisps now, For me the turning point came when I shared my test results with them and shared a couple of LCHF videos.

So now its my snacks and LC goodies, my special bread, my sweetpots, my cream that goes missing from the larder, and their crisps and biscuits have a much longer 'shelf life' now, The others in the house have completely switched to sweetners, wholemeal flour, cauli, whole fat milk, and olive and coconut oil. Bye Bye Eatwell.

So you may find you may be able to shift the emphasis from meals being Their meals to them becoming Your meals, and the carbies in you family may actually find they prefer the new lifestyle. Mine have been converted for nearly 2 years now.
I hadn't thought of that approach! I'm. Not sure it would work in our family in that my husband is very thin, runs a lot and needs a lot of carbs, as does our 18 year old son who is extremely sporty. So they have a lot of pasta-based meals and jacket potatoes etc which they love. I guess I would feel guilty about making them switch to low carb when they don't need to, and in fact I think they would struggle hugely with a lack of carbs.

Luckily, I don't have a sweet tooth so it's ok that they have biscuits etc in the cupboards. Our son does have a thing for crumpets with peanut butter and the smell is do heavenly that I am.tempted by those - but luckily I resist! It sounds as though you have got your family better trained.

Reactions: Prem51