Missing dose of metformin

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I've missed one of my twice-daily doses of metformin, for example if I've been eating out and not had the tablets with me, is it best to take the tablets later, or skip them on that occasion? Or doesn't it really matter if it's a one-off?

Reactions: Freema

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
if it is the same day then I take it when I remember but I wouldn't necessarily double dose to catch up.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin only has minimal benefits, so missing taking it occasionally won't have much effect.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Metformin builds up so missing one dose won't hurt - I forgot mine yesterday too !
I wish people would not post negative comments about Metformin- it has been extremely beneficial to me

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I've missed one of my twice-daily doses of metformin, for example if I've been eating out and not had the tablets with me, is it best to take the tablets later, or skip them on that occasion? Or doesn't it really matter if it's a one-off?
If I eat out and do not take any metformin with me then I miss that dose because they are supposed to be during or immediately after a meal so it is to late to take it when I get home

Peter5145

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish people would not post negative comments about Metformin- it has been extremely beneficial to me
Well, I have been taking it for 2½ months and, together with some dietary changes, seem to have stabilised my fasting blood glucose level below 7, so it seems to be working for me. I've also not experienced the unpleasant side effects that some people have reported, although I'm not saying they don't happen.

I would probably take it later the same evening, but certainly not double up the following day.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's rare for me to forget these days, but I take it when I discover I've not, then carry on with the next tablet at the usual time for that one. I work to a pretty set timetable in the working week and stick to much the same times for Meformin/testing over the weekend/holidays as well.

Doesn't mean the rest of my life is totally routine bound, as I carry my meds in with my test kit so I can just get on with both when I need to. But, sticking to a routine for meds and testing works for me.

Reactions: James13 and Debzz_

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I eat out and do not take any metformin with me then I miss that dose because they are supposed to be during or immediately after a meal so it is to late to take it when I get home

no Metformin works more longterm so it is not important to take them with meals, the original reason people take them with meals is that many get less nausea when taking them with meals.. the effect is much more streached out over the whole day and metformin works mostly on the liver in someway lowering the amount of macro-nutrients transformed into glucose by the liver..

I take my whole dose in the morning and sometimes on an empthy stomack as well as I have no problem toleration Metformin except that Metformin seems to affect my kidneys too much so that if I take i late in the day I need to go up to the toilet up til 4 times in 1 night... now only once or not at all when taken the whole dose in the mornings

Reactions: James13

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Peter5145 It's always worth reading the leaflet that comes in the packet for information about handling missed doses.

If you're at all sensitive to it, it may be best to skip a missed dose rather than double up or take on an empty tum, and missing a one-off dose isn't really going to be a problem.

But this is definitely not the case for everyone and some people have very bad side effects - and not everyone can tolerate it. Having to be permanently within easy reach of a toilet is not a very pleasant experience.

I personally found my diet has actually done far more for my weight and glucose levels than taking metformin did, but apart from bad reactions with a couple of brands I never had any real issues with taking it: diet and metformin for me were a case of "belt and braces".

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin builds up so missing one dose won't hurt - I forgot mine yesterday too !

That's great for you but the side effects are well known anecdotally on the forum and should be publicised in case others don't know about them. Also I would hazard a guess that dietary changes are far more beneficial than the pills so this should be made clear too.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
That's great for you but the side effects are well known anecdotally on the forum and should be publicised in case others don't know about them. Also I would hazard a guess that dietary changes are far more beneficial than the pills so this should be made clear too.
' hazard a guess ' .. and there was me thinking you were more informed than that lol

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1C has gone from 99 (11.1%) to 44 (6.1%) since diagnosis of type 2. That is a drop of 5% (11% down to 6%). Only taking Metformin with changing my diet would have dropped me from 11.1% to about 10% or 86 mmol/mol which is still dangerously high.

Most of my reduction in blood sugars is a result of reduced carbohydrates. Despite dropping my dose of Metformin from 2x500 to 1x500 from last February, my HbA1C dropped further from 59 to 44 in the next three months. I do intend to drop Metformin completely once my HbA1C goes below 42.

Metformin is useful in the beginning as it helps reduce dangerously high sugar levels, but its usefulness declines once you have got your diet under control and your blood sugar levels decline. It seems to take people up to nine months to reduce HbA1C to non-diabetic levels if they are on a LCHF diet, less if they also do intermittent fasting.

Unfortunately, many people are given Metformin and told not to test their blood sugar as it will make them depressed and told to continue eating a lot of carbs (e.g. eatwell plate). Such patients will experience a high blood sugars and are at risk of diabetic complications such as neuropathy. These people maybe under the illusion that they are effectively treating their type 2 diabetes with Metformin, but they are not if their blood sugars persistently remain high.

Pat McCann

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
1. Frequently asked questions, 2. My medication, 3."helpful" busybodies, 4. the plight of older people in Belfast
It's rare for me to forget these days, but I take it when I discover I've not, then carry on with the next tablet at the usual time for that one. I work to a pretty set timetable in the working week and stick to much the same times for Meformin/testing over the weekend/holidays as well.

Doesn't mean the rest of my life is totally routine bound, as I carry my meds in with my test kit so I can just get on with both when I need to. But, sticking to a routine for meds and testing works for me.
Unfortunately I wish I could say that I rarely miss a Metformin (and the nine other tablets I'm supposed to take at the same time) but I have been wrestling with the problem (of forgetting) for years. Now, I never forget to go to my computer everyday (else I'll get a massive build up of emails) so I was thinking; Is there something I could get on or for my computer that will remind me to take the meds especially the morning dose?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no Metformin works more longterm so it is not important to take them with meals, the original reason people take them with meals is that many get less nausea when taking them with meals.. the effect is much more streached out over the whole day and metformin works mostly on the liver in someway lowering the amount of macro-nutrients transformed into glucose by the liver..

I take my whole dose in the morning and sometimes on an empthy stomack as well as I have no problem toleration Metformin except that Metformin seems to affect my kidneys too much so that if I take i late in the day I need to go up to the toilet up til 4 times in 1 night... now only once or not at all when taken the whole dose in the mornings
Well the enclosed leaflet and my pharmacy label on the SR packet both say to take with food or immediately after it so that is how I take it and if I eat out and do not have them with me then I will miss it that day. I only take one 500gm tablet a day so I take it with my main meal and have never had any tummy problems with it

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately I wish I could say that I rarely miss a Metformin (and the nine other tablets I'm supposed to take at the same time) but I have been wrestling with the problem (of forgetting) for years. Now, I never forget to go to my computer everyday (else I'll get a massive build up of emails) so I was thinking; Is there something I could get on or for my computer that will remind me to take the meds especially the morning dose?

I have reminder alarms on my computer or phone for various appointments or deadlines if I think I will forget them. I use Outlook for e-mails and got into the habit of using the calendars there for that purpose at work, so carried on doing it at home.

I also record my meter readings on a spreadsheet, along with other health related stuff - that usually reminds me! I am also on 4 tablets spread evenly across the day, and test at those times. This is why a week's worth of meds are in with my test kit. It's been the best reminder of the lot! Along with having a set pattern of taking the tablets out of the blister packs so I can tell at a glance if I've missed any without having to count. Sounds complicated, but it has worked for me as a very visual person.

I am lucky enough that, after the first couple of weeks when I did NOT stray far from home or a toilet, my system now tolerates Metformin well and I can take the occasional dose without food if need be. Though, I personally do prefer to take it just before a meal - seems to work best for me.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's human nature I'm afraid. People are more likely to mention a bad reaction and people are more likely to remember horror stories. I wonder how many would rush to click on a thread entitled "I took met and was fine" Boring! ;) There is merit in forewarning newbies, but it is difficult not to scare them too so we can't win.

For the record, I take met and am fine. No bad side effects. I take 2 a day and if I forget one, I sometimes take it and sometimes don't. No set rules.

Em1997

Looking for advice. My partner has type 2 diabetes. He recently didnt get his prescription on time so was without metformin for 5 days, on the 4th day he started going really dizzy with everything he did. The dizziness is still here after 2 full days of taking metformin again. Spoken to the doctors and they said increase the insulin and see how it goes, it could be the blood sugars due to them spiking and then dropping very quickly each day. Just wondering if any one had experience with this before?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might get more useful information starting a new thread rather than tagging onto the end of one years ole.
I don't need medication, but I have really had to watch that I drink enough in this hot weather or I go a bit dizzy in the mid afternoon, also I have not fancied coffee so missed the salt and pinch of cinnamon I add to my morning cup - OK my morning rather large mug, but it might be payback for going out to try to earn some money when any sensible person would be in the garden setting up a hammock or a swimming pool in the shade of the trees.