Am I going to have best weight loss with 100g carbs per day?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys, am I going to have best weight loss with 100g carbs per day?
I read that you don't have to be in ketosis to have maximum weight loss is that true?
Can I achieve maximum weight loss with 100g carbs per day?
I know we are all different etc, but I am mostly towards the average!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could I ask if you are diabetic ?

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The simple answer is we have no idea...
You would probably achieve maximum weight loss by fasting but that would likely be very hard from day 1.
I found that by intermittent fasting (no breakfast) and very low carb (less than 30g per day) I lost a lot of weight quickly. That was my experience.
I see others who find it harder to loose weight eating more carbs than I did so I do wonder if it is connected. Others have done very low calorie diets successfully although I know again from personal experience that I feel very hungry on low cal so tend to cheat.
We are all individual so I would suggest you try 100g per day and see if it works - however I found it much easier to cut out as many carbs as I could to reduce the carb cravings that can come with eating greater amounts. So it my be worth trying to cut more to start with then re-introduce if you really feel the need to hoping that you won't feel the need.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost my weight on average 100g carbs a day - still had to calorie count as well later on and also reduce my carbs to about 70g - in the beginning for me it wasn't about the weight loss but getting my BG under control- - the weight loss was a very welcome side effect. Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you weight loss wise

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is something you have to find out for yourself - and low carbs can be astonishing - when I first tried Atkins I lost 7lb in three days, far too fast, but I had never had any great weightloss on low calorie diets, so I was shocked.
When I was younger, more active and cycling to the shops I could lose weight on 80 gm of carbs a day, thought if the weather was wet and I did not go out so much I had to drop down to 60 gm of carb to maintain the same weekly loss.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guys, am I going to have best weight loss with 100g carbs per day?
I read that you don't have to be in ketosis to have maximum weight loss is that true?
Can I achieve maximum weight loss with 100g carbs per day?
I know we are all different etc, but I am mostly towards the average!

What type of diabetes do you have? Are you on any medication?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know where you are coming from. Lowering carbs is a technique for controlling blood sugar levels for diabetics and not for losing weight. It is true that many of us lost weight as a side effect and I cannot say that is a bad thing.

So if you want me to tell you how many carbs to eat in order to lose weight then I can't really help much. Cut out things with sugar and flour in them and see how it goes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it can also be a tool for weightloss in some people.. as it is much easier to loose weight when hardly eating any carbs.. fat is much harder to use as fuel in the body..
I agree that it can be a tool for weight loss but it is primarily for controlling blood sugar. If someone comes here for weight loss then maybe they are on the wrong web site.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that it can be a tool for weight loss but it is primarily for controlling blood sugar. If someone comes here for weight loss then maybe they are on the wrong web site.

the main part of type 2 diabetics are actually very overweight when being diagnosed..
http://www.obesity.org/content/weight-diabetes

one can get many adding diseases from being very very overweight and it won´t help people if they become less and less able to move and use their body when it comes to insuline resistance

so what is the right aproach to start low carbing or ketonic dieting I think is up to each person and there is no rule of for what main purpose one will do it for

if you go under 50 grams most people would start loosing weight... as I have read from many members in here... I still have to try that... but still exchausted from my 6 month 1000 calories... but I think going real low carb is the most promising way to loose weight and keep weight off longterm.. but it is also important to find recipes that are tastefull and varied enough to keep staying on that kind of diet...

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a few people are told that if they lose weight then they will be healthier - including diabetics.
As low carb is something many people on this forum are familiar with, and benefit from, it seems rather churlish to deny their knowledge and experience to anyone in need of it.

Reactions: James13

suginami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite a few people are told that if they lose weight then they will be healthier - including diabetics.
As low carb is something many people on this forum are familiar with, and benefit from, it seems rather churlish to deny their knowledge and experience to anyone in need of it.

Walk a lot. Eat small meals. Nuts and berries. Lots of water. Carrots. Apples. My weight dropped quickly. Walking is a big point. After every meal. I eat wholewheat bread one slice. Porridge in the morning. No dairy food.

Reactions: Freema

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to go very low carb to start to lose any weight - approx 20-25g carbs a day as per original Atkins diet induction phase (low carb veggies, protein, fats - no fruit or nuts) for a couple of weeks. Prior to that reducing carbs reduced glucose levels but not weight. After very quick initial weight loss of somewhat over a couple of stone, my weight's gone down slightly but pretty much remained stable on mainly under 50g carbs a day for the past 3 and a half years, but my glucose levels have slowly continued to drop - which is actually what I was most concerned with doing, in spite of needing to lose some more weight. I'm "fat adapted" but obviously burning dietary fats rather than surplus body fat.

There's NO set formula for weight loss, and everyone has really to try for themselves to find what works best. LCHF is not a magic miracle fix it diet, and some forum members have done better on different diets and some unfortunately struggle to lose weight whatever they try. For me LCHF is definitely a glucose management tool rather than a weight loss one, but I'm happy with that.

Robbity

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 20 days on LCHF and no signs of appetite reduction or weight loss.

Am I doing something wrong and for how long should I give it a go?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you drinking enough water? I aim for 2+ litres a day. If I don't drink enough I don't lose weight.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink as much as I feel, I don't see why I should drink more

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you replaced carbs with protein or fat? Protein requires insulin. Fat very little. Excess protein is not a good idea.

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may eat too much protein, I don't know:
I eat 1 egg and 1 bacon in the morning, 1 chicken leg in the noon, 2 skewers of lamb shish in the evening.
Is that too much of a protein?

I feel I have large appetite and I dont measure blood sugar, only ketones (my goal is weight loss, which will also fix blood sugar)