Type 1 Blood sugar testing- alternatives?

Joanneclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Sorry if there is a similar post I'm new to the forum and trying to find my way around..
I am a 28 year old type one diagnosed about 9years ago. I have always been well controlled and last year attended a DAFNE course (I don't think these are still around?)
As a result I am testing blood sugars more frequently and am beginning to notice the prick marks on my fingers and the skin is hard and dry on some, sometimes I can just squeeze my fingers and they will bleed .. I know it could be worse but as I am only 28 and try hard to take care of myself it is really getting me down!
Has anyone heard of alternative blood sugar testing? I have seen one which looks like a patch which is constantly connected but I imagine it's very expensive and difficult to get on Nhs... I will speak to doctors but just wondered if there's anything I'm missing?!
Thanks Jo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: TorqPenderloin

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dexcom (available on nhs but not easy to get one) or libre (only private funding). The reality is you would need to pay for your cgm. Libre £100 per month, dexcom a bit cheaper if you manage to build your own xdrip

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have only been diagnosed for about a month or so, but I'm suffering the same problem.

I got a Libre yesterday, and while I don't trust it much for important readings (low/dropping fast), I've noticed I'm doing less finger pricks if I see I'm steady or going up from the sensor.

At first it felt weird and I was anxious about moving my arm much, but this morning I forgot I was even wearing it.

Probably too early for me to recommend, but first impression - I like it.

One thing I wish I'd known - if your phone has NFC you don't need the monitor (although it also acts as a blood glucose tester with Optium strips).

I've justified the cost to myself because I'm new and having lots of spikes/on a bit of a rollercoaster. If I can afford it is like to keep using it though.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Jo, welcome aboard!

sometimes I can just squeeze my fingers and they will bleed

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. If your fingers are bleeding between tests just by squeezing, it suggests you've got the depth gauge set too deep on your lancing device.

Seems too obvious a question to ask someone who has been dx'd as long as you, but have you tried different settings on the depth gauge?

Maybe you're running it too high and can dial it back a bit. Start it off with a test stab at a really low setting like 2, if that doesn't allow you to squeeze a little blood out, then dial 1 up and repeat till it does. The difference in how fingers end up looking if you're stabbing with it set at, say, 4 compared to 7 can be surprising.

the skin is hard and dry on some

A pumice stone is pretty good for keeping hard skin in check.

Reactions: azure

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have only been diagnosed for about a month or so, but I'm suffering the same problem.

I got a Libre yesterday, and while I don't trust it much for important readings (low/dropping fast), I've noticed I'm doing less finger pricks if I see I'm steady or going up from the sensor.

At first it felt weird and I was anxious about moving my arm much, but this morning I forgot I was even wearing it.

Probably too early for me to recommend, but first impression - I like it.

One thing I wish I'd known - if your phone has NFC you don't need the monitor (although it also acts as a blood glucose tester with Optium strips).

I've justified the cost to myself because I'm new and having lots of spikes/on a bit of a rollercoaster. If I can afford it is like to keep using it though.
Doesn't work on new Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. I did have NEC usage working on Google Pixel.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's annoying! Have you tried a different app capable of reading the sensor, like Glimp?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!
I self fund the Freestyle Libre. It ain't cheap, and it doesn't replace all finger prick testing, but it helps tremendously to see trends and highs and indicates when you are rising and dropping, and how fast, which gives a lot more peace of mind.

Joanneclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Jo, welcome aboard!

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. If your fingers are bleeding between tests just by squeezing, it suggests you've got the depth gauge set too deep on your lancing device.

Seems too obvious a question to ask someone who has been dx'd as long as you, but have you tried different settings on the depth gauge?

Maybe you're running it too high and can dial it back a bit. Start it off with a test stab at a really low setting like 2, if that doesn't allow you to squeeze a little blood out, then dial 1 up and repeat till it does. The difference in how fingers end up looking if you're stabbing with it set at, say, 4 compared to 7 can be surprising.

A pumice stone is pretty good for keeping hard skin in check.
Thanks - I only have it on 1 already! I do need to get better at swapping hands and the problem is mainly on my left. I think I may research different devices and see if I can find a 'softer' one

Joanneclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all for the information, I thought a libre literally just does the same thing just from a different location. I don't really think I can justify self funding it as I don't think I need to see the trends etc. I think I need to work on taking better care and maybe a new lancet thingy (can't think of the name?!)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks - I only have it on 1 already! I do need to get better at swapping hands and the problem is mainly on my left. I think I may research different devices and see if I can find a 'softer' one

Moisturising cream can help as can positioning the pricker really carefully - ke not applying any pressure. That can compensate for the fact you're already on 1.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, using the best lancets can make a huge difference, as can changing them frequently (although I know it's easy not to : D )

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,
Sorry if there is a similar post I'm new to the forum and trying to find my way around..
I am a 28 year old type one diagnosed about 9years ago. I have always been well controlled and last year attended a DAFNE course (I don't think these are still around?)
As a result I am testing blood sugars more frequently and am beginning to notice the prick marks on my fingers and the skin is hard and dry on some, sometimes I can just squeeze my fingers and they will bleed .. I know it could be worse but as I am only 28 and try hard to take care of myself it is really getting me down!
Has anyone heard of alternative blood sugar testing? I have seen one which looks like a patch which is constantly connected but I imagine it's very expensive and difficult to get on Nhs... I will speak to doctors but just wondered if there's anything I'm missing?!
Thanks Jo
I can certainly relate to what you're saying - I usually prick very close to the nail as I have significant guitar calluses which I can't prick thru. Sometimes I move a little further down the tip of the finger outside of callus territory - (not sure if this affects the accuracy of the blood reading) hopefully not but I've been doing that for years.
I've heard of people pricking their ear lobes - never tried that - it seems awkward.

As for the alternative blood sugar testing - the patch thingy - when I changed insulins a few years back I was prescribed one for a week so my health team could see what my Blood Sugars were doing all hours of the day and night - interestingly I learned a lot about that - and started having my final meal much earlier to better manage my morning blood sugar levels.

It was my understanding that the continuous monitoring was very expensive and that was why I only used it for a full week. I really like the graphs/readouts it would generate.

auroralapetite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wholeheartedly recommend the libre. My fingers are so much better now, and I feel more secure in knowing what way my blood glucose is trending.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I wonder if you you have come across this - https://www.mygenteel.com/ it crops up on the forum every few months. Sorry but I can't offer a recommendation based on experience, but you might enjoy exploring the site.

auroralapetite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - will look into it do you not test fingers at all now?

I check whenever my libre reads that I have a hypo or I don't quite feel right - which is around 5 times a week. I don't drive but I would have to finger prick if I did. Before the Libre, I would fingerprick around 6-12 times a day.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Accu-Chek Fastclix device might be worth investigating - it came highly recommended as being gentle in numerous reviews when I was first diagnosed and absolutely terrified of pricking my fingers! And I'm still using one. :p

There are also some meters that allow alternative site testing which would give your fingers a rest - I remember seeing information about this in the booklet hat came with my first (again Accu-Check) meter. Have a look at the meters review on our main site, check Google or ask your doctors for manufacturers info.

Robbity

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can do a AST with any meter just you need to ask the manufacturer of the lancing device for a AST cap so that you can do it as I use a contour next one meter and I can do it with that one and the usb meter I have both from Bayer and I get exactly what you get from the other meters except a faster results time and a clearer screen and its in colour and rechargeable batteries so I am also able to get the strips on prescription but that is how I can also do the same as everyone else and when I was diagnosed you were given a tube of strips and you had to match the colours to what was on the tub until I got my first meter and that is way better than most of the new meters out today still and that is 22 years old now but that was from accu check