Another Life

Rakhi_gohil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you ever wonder what your life would be if you never had Diabetes? Do you think you will still be where you are today?...

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am Type 2, diet only. I know exactly where I would be today if I had never been diagnosed. Wearing clothes 3 or 4 sizes larger than I am now, stuffing myself with bread and feeling far less healthy and confident about myself than I am now. It was a good kick up the bum for me.

Reactions: ickihun and JimH

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you ever wonder what your life would be if you never had Diabetes? Do you think you will still be where you are today?...
First of all, I'm not diabetic but I do have a condition that has all to do with having hypers and hypos.
I was misdiagnosed with T2 and prediabetes before that!
My life changed because of my diagnosis.
It was awful before it.
I had a long battle to get my diagnosis!
I would rather have my present condition which is controlled, than the wrong information and clueless doctors, that kept telling me to eat healthy for my diabetes!
I probably would be dead or very close to it, except for my diagnosis!
I know that I wouldn't be as fit and healthy and working full time!

Sorry, to turn your question around!

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before diagnosis, I noticed I had flabby arms and no matter how much I exercised, still could not get rid of the flab. Now I learn how to pick and choose the right kind of food to eat, staying away from bad carbs. I test, test and test several times a day initially to get an idea on foods that send my blood sugar high. Now I only test a couple of times per day and am happy with my HB1ac of 6.1. Doctor didn't think I was diabetic. It is a long battle but I am getting there with all the information I gather from this forum. Thanks folks.

Reactions: ickihun

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no... I never really think it through..thoughts like what if it was not I , what if I was not me...

but well I think in behind concious thinking I do have glimpses of sorrow ...but there is so much else I have been through, that I see my life as an exercise in having the right attitude towards whatever comes my way and try to learn something good from it all anyway...luckily I have the interest in going deep into what can I learn from this and that; whatever comes my way... I think it gives my life meaning to have that attitude... It is long ago I found out that somethings just occure to you and that you can not decide everything and control all of life, but you can try to steer you boat in these waves of adding conditions and lifechanging experiences

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am Type 2, diet only. I know exactly where I would be today if I had never been diagnosed. Wearing clothes 3 or 4 sizes larger than I am now, stuffing myself with bread and feeling far less healthy and confident about myself than I am now. It was a good kick up the bum for me.

well maybe this more weight actually was part of the condition already showing its face of insuline resistance..:shy: I believe it is true that this conditions starts already many years before being fullblown diabetes...and that knowing this a lot of people actually could be saved from even getting it if the GP´s were more in the front of their shoes when it comes to take a talk with people of their health condition...

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2, and think I honestly would be dead now without my diagnosis of T2 .. before T2, I was told my extra weight and feeling dreadful was just part and parcel of my heart failure. The advice was just rest and try to enjoy the life I have left, being offered palliative care ... Since T2 I had the courage to LCHF and move more .. I not only have my T2 in remission now, but it appears my heart failure has also reversed its self .. Have a lot to thank T2 for and the support here :)

Reactions: phdiabetic
D

Deleted Account

Never having diabetes and never being diagnosed with diabetes are two very different things.
If I wasn't diagnosed, I wouldn't be here (which is why I celebrate the anniversary of my diagnosis).
If I didn't have diabetes, I am not sure much would be different. Because I have made a very conscious effort not to let diabetes stop me doing what I want,
Probably the main difference would be a smaller collection of handbags because I could just put my phone and keys in my pocket when I go out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh "sliding doors" alternate reality stuff...

I would have been a moderator on a Jap import car forum! ;)

Reactions: Rakhi_gohil

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I'm diabetic because of steroids. without the steroids I would be in a very bad situation.. So it is pointless for me to ask what if. There would have to be a long chain of what if's to get me back to a "normal" life.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Pre diabetes diagnosis I knew I was different to my siblings.
I was also very unselfish to a degree of a detriment to my own well being.
I'm more self focused these days. Getting my health right so I can be a good role model to my children and hopefully grandchildren.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm diabetic because of steroids. without the steroids I would be in a very bad situation.. So it is pointless for me to ask what if. There would have to be a long chain of what if's to get me back to a "normal" life.

I agree.. Whe are where we are now. In our own "perceived realities"..

This dreadful movie highlights a "smattering" of it... Or not?!?! Lol

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree.. Whe are where we are now. In our own "perceived realities"..

This dreadful movie highlights a "smattering" of it... Or not?!?! Lol

Left or right?
Go or stay?

Oh sugar! My anxiety has kicked in!

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I am T2, and think I honestly would be dead now without my diagnosis of T2 .. before T2, I was told my extra weight and feeling dreadful was just part and parcel of my heart failure. The advice was just rest and try to enjoy the life I have left, being offered palliative care ... Since T2 I had the courage to LCHF and move more .. I not only have my T2 in remission now, but it appears my heart failure has also reversed its self .. Have a lot to thank T2 for and the support here :)

Really pleased to hear about your health:):) despite diabetes being stable my husband's heart condition has worsened he now has PH and doctors are talking about quality of life. I vacillate between presenting meals that he enjoys and being strict on the LCHF. Also worry if his attacks of gout (he's had 4 bad bouts) are from the increased consumption of meat and cheese. So I'm now thinking how can I create meals that he enjoys and cut down or lose the meat altogether.
You're such an inspiration it makes me want to persevere.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Left or right?
Go or stay?

Oh sugar! My anxiety has kicked in!

Now you're talking.. I can think of one "cross roads" where I could of made a realy bad decision. If it wasn't for the D...
Or,was it just me...

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wasn't type 1 till recently so spent 30 years "normal". I guess I got to have some pretty wild/off the rails experiences and pass out after without having to worry if I'd wake up the next morning. That's honestly the only thing in my life that is different now, and I'm not a big drinker anymore anyhow.
I paid no attention whatsoever to my health and almost died because of it. That kick up the bum, soon followed by my type 1 starting has actually made me care more about myself.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I wonder what life would've been like without my illnesses. I wonder a lot of things. But the ones affecting me most... I wonder what it would be like to speak normally without pain and stupid comments from people. I wonder what it would be like to be burp and hiccup free and not have people staring at me, laughing at me, and making inappropriate comments. They're the biggest ones impacting me as the rest of what I've got people can't see... including the diabetes... but they can hear I'm sick. :(

Reactions: phdiabetic

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Now you're talking.. I can think of one "cross roads" where I could of made a realy bad decision. If it wasn't for the D...
Or,was it just me...
Opportunity knocks!

If I hadn't been diagnosed, a lot of my recent life would not have been possible!

Fate must be having a little chuckle to itself!

Reactions: ickihun and Jaylee

lindisfel

Expert
It is no good agonising what might have been! Life has handed us a set of circumstances that we have to find the best way through on this journey of life. Those of us who develop the wisdom, strength, friends and also get dealt the right cards can have a reasonably happy existence. Many of us have far worse in our lives than managing our diets and taking meds, especially when we get to 78. I hope all of us find peace and happiness. regards Derek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My life without type 1 would mean I would be a non diabetic, which would be fantastic :) It's the other auto immune conditions on top of the diabetes which can be annoying, I had my daughter at 42 1/2 years old and that was my greatest diabetes moment ever. My weight has only gone up by about 5/6 lbs since I was about 20 ( nearly 40 years ago) and hope this will continue.
I wish I didn't have type 1 but, I try to go on wards and upwards.

An interesting thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun