1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Another Life

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Rakhi_gohil, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Rakhi_gohil

Rakhi_gohil Type 1 · Active Member

Do you ever wonder what your life would be if you never had Diabetes? Do you think you will still be where you are today?...

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I am Type 2, diet only. I know exactly where I would be today if I had never been diagnosed. Wearing clothes 3 or 4 sizes larger than I am now, stuffing myself with bread and feeling far less healthy and confident about myself than I am now. It was a good kick up the bum for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

First of all, I'm not diabetic but I do have a condition that has all to do with having hypers and hypos.
    I was misdiagnosed with T2 and prediabetes before that!
    My life changed because of my diagnosis.
    It was awful before it.
    I had a long battle to get my diagnosis!
    I would rather have my present condition which is controlled, than the wrong information and clueless doctors, that kept telling me to eat healthy for my diabetes!
    I probably would be dead or very close to it, except for my diagnosis!
    I know that I wouldn't be as fit and healthy and working full time!

Sorry, to turn your question around!

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Before diagnosis, I noticed I had flabby arms and no matter how much I exercised, still could not get rid of the flab. Now I learn how to pick and choose the right kind of food to eat, staying away from bad carbs. I test, test and test several times a day initially to get an idea on foods that send my blood sugar high. Now I only test a couple of times per day and am happy with my HB1ac of 6.1. Doctor didn't think I was diabetic. It is a long battle but I am getting there with all the information I gather from this forum. Thanks folks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

no... I never really think it through..thoughts like what if it was not I , what if I was not me...

but well I think in behind concious thinking I do have glimpses of sorrow ...but there is so much else I have been through, that I see my life as an exercise in having the right attitude towards whatever comes my way and try to learn something good from it all anyway...luckily I have the interest in going deep into what can I learn from this and that; whatever comes my way... I think it gives my life meaning to have that attitude... It is long ago I found out that somethings just occure to you and that you can not decide everything and control all of life, but you can try to steer you boat in these waves of adding conditions and lifechanging experiences

• Agree Agree x 3
    #5 Freema, Jun 6, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  6. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

well maybe this more weight actually was part of the condition already showing its face of insuline resistance..:shy: I believe it is true that this conditions starts already many years before being fullblown diabetes...and that knowing this a lot of people actually could be saved from even getting it if the GP´s were more in the front of their shoes when it comes to take a talk with people of their health condition...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Enclave

Enclave Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I am T2, and think I honestly would be dead now without my diagnosis of T2 .. before T2, I was told my extra weight and feeling dreadful was just part and parcel of my heart failure. The advice was just rest and try to enjoy the life I have left, being offered palliative care ... Since T2 I had the courage to LCHF and move more .. I not only have my T2 in remission now, but it appears my heart failure has also reversed its self .. Have a lot to thank T2 for and the support here :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Never having diabetes and never being diagnosed with diabetes are two very different things.
    If I wasn't diagnosed, I wouldn't be here (which is why I celebrate the anniversary of my diagnosis).
    If I didn't have diabetes, I am not sure much would be different. Because I have made a very conscious effort not to let diabetes stop me doing what I want,
    Probably the main difference would be a smaller collection of handbags because I could just put my phone and keys in my pocket when I go out.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oooh "sliding doors" alternate reality stuff...

I would have been a moderator on a Jap import car forum! ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Well I'm diabetic because of steroids. without the steroids I would be in a very bad situation.. So it is pointless for me to ask what if. There would have to be a long chain of what if's to get me back to a "normal" life.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Pre diabetes diagnosis I knew I was different to my siblings.
    I was also very unselfish to a degree of a detriment to my own well being.
    I'm more self focused these days. Getting my health right so I can be a good role model to my children and hopefully grandchildren.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Jaylee

Staff Member

I agree.. Whe are where we are now. In our own "perceived realities"..

This dreadful movie highlights a "smattering" of it... Or not?!?! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lamont D

Left or right?
    Go or stay?

Oh sugar! My anxiety has kicked in!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. timerich

timerich Family member · Well-Known Member

Really pleased to hear about your health:):) despite diabetes being stable my husband's heart condition has worsened he now has PH and doctors are talking about quality of life. I vacillate between presenting meals that he enjoys and being strict on the LCHF. Also worry if his attacks of gout (he's had 4 bad bouts) are from the increased consumption of meat and cheese. So I'm now thinking how can I create meals that he enjoys and cut down or lose the meat altogether.
    You're such an inspiration it makes me want to persevere.

15. Jaylee

Staff Member

Now you're talking.. I can think of one "cross roads" where I could of made a realy bad decision. If it wasn't for the D...
    Or,was it just me...

16. gavin86

gavin86 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wasn't type 1 till recently so spent 30 years "normal". I guess I got to have some pretty wild/off the rails experiences and pass out after without having to worry if I'd wake up the next morning. That's honestly the only thing in my life that is different now, and I'm not a big drinker anymore anyhow.
    I paid no attention whatsoever to my health and almost died because of it. That kick up the bum, soon followed by my type 1 starting has actually made me care more about myself.

17. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I wonder what life would've been like without my illnesses. I wonder a lot of things. But the ones affecting me most... I wonder what it would be like to speak normally without pain and stupid comments from people. I wonder what it would be like to be burp and hiccup free and not have people staring at me, laughing at me, and making inappropriate comments. They're the biggest ones impacting me as the rest of what I've got people can't see... including the diabetes... but they can hear I'm sick. :(

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lamont D

Opportunity knocks!

If I hadn't been diagnosed, a lot of my recent life would not have been possible!

Fate must be having a little chuckle to itself!

• Like Like x 2
  19. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

It is no good agonising what might have been! Life has handed us a set of circumstances that we have to find the best way through on this journey of life. Those of us who develop the wisdom, strength, friends and also get dealt the right cards can have a reasonably happy existence. Many of us have far worse in our lives than managing our diets and taking meds, especially when we get to 78. I hope all of us find peace and happiness. regards Derek

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

My life without type 1 would mean I would be a non diabetic, which would be fantastic :) It's the other auto immune conditions on top of the diabetes which can be annoying, I had my daughter at 42 1/2 years old and that was my greatest diabetes moment ever. My weight has only gone up by about 5/6 lbs since I was about 20 ( nearly 40 years ago) and hope this will continue.
    I wish I didn't have type 1 but, I try to go on wards and upwards.

An interesting thread :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #20 Robinredbreast, Jun 7, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook