Diane Abbott & Diabetes Publicity

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So having seen that Diane Abbott was withdrawing from campaigning because of a long-term condition I did wonder about T2.

Now it's confirmed and I'm pleased she's been so open about it.

Regardless of your political allegiances it has to be a good thing that diabetes and T2 in particular is in the media spotlight.And I know looking back that a lot of signs were there for me. and I ignored them. The more publicity the better.

It will be interesting to see how she is treated by the media now, having named diabetes as her illness

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...illness-and-hits-out-at-vicious-tory-campaign

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't see May using her T1 as an excuse. If you decide to enter politics, you become fair game for the press and the opposition.

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I don't see May using her T1 as an excuse.

It's useless trying to compare a Prime Minister with type I to a front bench MP with type II, apples and oranges. She may not have used her medical condition as an excuse for anything but I am concerned that her medical condition may affect her decision making. From my own experience and from what others have said, BG levels can affect our behaviour in many ways.

I was wondering how many diabetics there are in Parliament, it's obviously not just May and Abbott. Keith Vaz and Jamie Reed, another 2, amazing what you can find when you start to look.

Seems there's a lot going on in Parliament as far as diabetes is concerned. They are obviously concerned at the growing numbers, the cost to the NHS and the differences in education across the UK. A line of research to follow when I get some more time.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_inv...l-Election-/?gclid=CO6q5LDPvNQCFUiNGwodo3QHgg

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's useless trying to compare a Prime Minister with type I to a front bench MP with type II, apples and oranges. She may not have used her medical condition as an excuse for anything but I am concerned that her medical condition may affect her decision making. From my own experience and from what others have said, BG levels can affect our behaviour in many ways.

I was wondering how many diabetics there are in Parliament, it's obviously not just May and Abbott. Keith Vaz and Jamie Reed, another 2, amazing what you can find when you start to look.

Seems there's a lot going on in Parliament as far as diabetes is concerned. They are obviously concerned at the growing numbers, the cost to the NHS and the differences in education across the UK. A line of research to follow when I get some more time.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_inv...l-Election-/?gclid=CO6q5LDPvNQCFUiNGwodo3QHgg
They are both female politicians with diabetes, although different types. The parallels are obvious.

I cannot agree that diabetes of any type should be used to question someones capability in such a setting. It could set a dangerous precedent.

Reactions: dbr10

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They are both female politicians with diabetes, although different types. The parallels are obvious.

I cannot agree that diabetes of any type should be used to question someones capability in such a setting. It could set a dangerous precedent.

I don't see May using her T1 as an excuse. If you decide to enter politics, you become fair game for the press and the opposition.

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

No one is questioning Abbotts capability, she's questioned her own, and done exactly what you said, and decided to move out of the kitchen for a while

Reactions: Prem51

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No one is questioning Abbotts capability, she's questioned her own, and done exactly what you said, and decided to move out of the kitchen for a while
Another thing I disagree with Diane the queen of hypocrites on

Reactions: Simon84

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another thing I disagree with Diane the queen of hypocrites on

Everyone manages diabetes their way.
I'm not going to insult her because she in some way isn't the flag bearer for diabetes you thought you would be in her position.

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm sure diabetes is just one of several condition that members of parliament may have that at some point may impact their functioning or not.

I seem to remember that David Owen published a book "In Sickness and in Power" in which he discussed the impact ill health had had on political leaders over the years.

Though I do think Politicians should have the right to privacy where their medical history is concerned just like any one else.

The decisions they may make when not functioning at their best do affect us all I just wonder how you resolve that.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I'm sure diabetes is just one of several condition that members of parliament may have that at some point may impact their functioning or not.

I seem to remember that David Owen published a book "In Sickness and in Power" in which he discussed the impact ill health had had on political leaders over the years.

Though I do think Politicians should have the right to privacy where their medical history is concerned just like any one else.

The decisions they may make when not functioning at their best do affect us all I just wonder how you resolve that.
I suppose you manage it John by democratic group decisions so that the unbalanced individuals like Hitler and Stalin do not have control and all leaders and politicians are answerable and accept continual feedback. Derek

Reactions: Prem51 and Bon83

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Stress can cause rash judgements, never mind diabetes. She is under a lot of pressure to fulfill brexit well. Now amalgamate with DUP successfully and make up for her misjudgement to call the general election.
I'm glad I'm not in her shoes. Irrespective of diabetes. I'm anti-tory but I admire her fortitude.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I was thinking more along the lines of a prime minister who has a staff of many to do everything for her as part of the job and not having to pay for that staff out of her own salary and an MP like Ms Abbott who does not have the same privilege. The PM's weekend place, Chequers, cost £700K last year and that's on top of the general running of the property.

My dietary requirements need consideration and wouldn't it be so much easier if I could get somebody to do it for me? Like the PM does?

They might both be female diabetics and that's where the similarity ends.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, PM does look well on it.

Diane may be struggling. Will her boss support her and use good duty of care? I'm sure he has.
He talks about looking after the vunerable.
What more vunerability than facing the press when not well?
I read often.
It is up to the employee to involve their employer when ill. Always.

Maybe she needed to involve her boss sooner of her uncontrolled diabetes and how much its affecting her job and normal abilities.
Maybe employers need new legislation on how to support diabetes since more employees are going to be affected in the future?
Is the law in place sufficient?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Diane may be struggling. Will her boss support her and use good duty of care? I'm sure he has.
He talks about looking after the vunerable.
Technically, she's not employed by Corbyn, and he isn't her boss.

Technically, all MPs are "self-employed" and hold Office through election for which they are reimbursed by the state, so any duty of care lies purely with an MP themselves.