Conflict of interest?

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Whilst I am not defending any of these particular studies I think it is worth asking who do you think should be paying for studies? To play devil's advocate the cheese board are the people most likely to be interested in how cheese affects people and have the money for the work to be done. I know it sounds frivolous but this comes up a lot on big Pharmaceutical Clinical studies too. Those who are interested will be those who are doing the work.

Dark Horse

Dark Horse

DC8-tdUUAAAVisa.jpg
Hah! That's marketing for you. Funny that they don't have a similar panel stating that the AHA recommends minimizing the intake of beverages and food with added sugars.

Reactions: Prem51

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Whilst I am not defending any of these particular studies I think it is worth asking who do you think should be paying for studies? To play devil's advocate the cheese board are the people most likely to be interested in how cheese affects people and have the money for the work to be done. I know it sounds frivolous but this comes up a lot on big Pharmaceutical Clinical studies too. Those who are interested will be those who are doing the work.
Logic and sense. I want to agree but I work in horticulture and what happens between agro chemical concerns, trials and advertising dependent media is a whole scary story.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Probably nobody should be doing these kind of studies.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
you are safe then. I am due to get scurvy any day now.
On a serious note, I find it quite interesting that I haven't gotten scurvy despite not eating any fruit/veg nor taking vit C supplements for 2 years. Apparently meat has enough vitamin C, as long as your not eating carbs.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a serious note, I find it quite interesting that I haven't gotten scurvy despite not eating any fruit/veg nor taking vit C supplements for 2 years. Apparently meat has enough vitamin C, as long as your not eating carbs.
Otherwise inuits would get scurvy, but even if they eat only fish and seal and whale meat, they don't, presumably because fish eat phytoplankton, fish eat smaller fish and seals and whales eat fish with mouthfuls of phytoplankton in varying proportions, depending on whether they have baleen or teeth.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Otherwise inuits would get scurvy, but even if they eat only fish and seal and whale meat, they don't, presumably because fish eat phytoplankton, fish eat smaller fish and seals and whales eat fish with mouthfuls of phytoplankton in varying proportions, depending on whether they have baleen or teeth.
All mammals, except guinea pigs, monkeys, and humans synthesise their own vitamin C., so all those animals that Inuit ate presumably had some vitamin C in them, but not because of phytoplankton. Apparently fish don't synthesise vit c, but maybe they get theirs from plankton, in which case you're partially right about the plankton.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's be clear. Scurvy was a vitamin C deficiency condition brought on by weeks on ship's rations. British sailors warded this off by consuming citrus fruits such as limes, hence 'limeys'.
Geoff

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Let's be clear. Scurvy was a vitamin C deficiency condition brought on by weeks on ship's rations. British sailors warded this off by consuming citrus fruits such as limes, hence 'limeys'.
Geoff
True, but fresh meat wards off scurvy as well.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Sorry my fault. The question of what is a healthy amount of fruit and veg comes up quite often on this site and I am aware a lot of people do not consume any. The subject of scurvy came up at an NHS meet I attended recently. So I got to wondering.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I think a little good fat (fish, olive etc) can go a long way, eggs also have some vitamins.

People seem to get very sick if they just eat lean meat, but to be OK if the fat is left on the meat, but the "trail" was only done with 2 people over 1 year. The person without the fat got sick in a few weeks, but recovered as soon they stopped removing the fat from his meat. Details in the "living low carb" book.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think a little good fat (fish, olive etc) can go a long way, eggs also have some vitamins.

People seem to get very sick if they just eat lean meat, but to be OK if the fat is left on the meat, but the "trail" was only done with 2 people over 1 year. The person without the fat got sick in a few weeks, but recovered as soon they stopped removing the fat from his meat. Details in the "living low carb" book.
Yes, I've heard of the study. The poor guy who started out on lean meat was Vilhjalmur Stefansson. He knew very well he'd get sick without fat in his diet, but the people running the study wanted to document it. I consider fat from beef to be excellent fat. It's artificial fats and plant derived fat using industrial processes that are not healthy. You can donwload a pdf of his book here:

http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the-land-not-by-bread-alone-vilhjalmur-stefansson.pdf

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sorry my fault. The question of what is a healthy amount of fruit and veg comes up quite often on this site and I am aware a lot of people do not consume any. The subject of scurvy came up at an NHS meet I attended recently. So I got to wondering.
I've heard that in America scurvy is becoming more common due to some people eating almost all ultra-processed food.

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow my son would love seeing this. For 10 years he only ate broccoli ! And we were for ever trying for him to eat any other veg and his diet was no fruit. Lol