1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Conflict of interest?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by carol43, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Neoncat

Neoncat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Whilst I am not defending any of these particular studies I think it is worth asking who do you think should be paying for studies? To play devil's advocate the cheese board are the people most likely to be interested in how cheese affects people and have the money for the work to be done. I know it sounds frivolous but this comes up a lot on big Pharmaceutical Clinical studies too. Those who are interested will be those who are doing the work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Is this the right link? It doesn't actually link to a scientific trial - instead it links to a 'roundtable' (=discussion) published in the Journal of Food Science - a Publication of the Institute of Food Technologists.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Hah! That's marketing for you. Funny that they don't have a similar panel stating that the AHA recommends minimizing the intake of beverages and food with added sugars.

• Like Like x 1
  5. covknit

covknit Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Logic and sense. I want to agree but I work in horticulture and what happens between agro chemical concerns, trials and advertising dependent media is a whole scary story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. covknit

you are safe then. I am due to get scurvy any day now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Probably nobody should be doing these kind of studies.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. NoCrbs4Me

On a serious note, I find it quite interesting that I haven't gotten scurvy despite not eating any fruit/veg nor taking vit C supplements for 2 years. Apparently meat has enough vitamin C, as long as your not eating carbs.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Otherwise inuits would get scurvy, but even if they eat only fish and seal and whale meat, they don't, presumably because fish eat phytoplankton, fish eat smaller fish and seals and whales eat fish with mouthfuls of phytoplankton in varying proportions, depending on whether they have baleen or teeth.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NoCrbs4Me

All mammals, except guinea pigs, monkeys, and humans synthesise their own vitamin C., so all those animals that Inuit ate presumably had some vitamin C in them, but not because of phytoplankton. Apparently fish don't synthesise vit c, but maybe they get theirs from plankton, in which case you're partially right about the plankton.

• Like Like x 1
  11. librarising

librarising LADA · Well-Known Member

Let's be clear. Scurvy was a vitamin C deficiency condition brought on by weeks on ship's rations. British sailors warded this off by consuming citrus fruits such as limes, hence 'limeys'.
    Geoff

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NoCrbs4Me

True, but fresh meat wards off scurvy as well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. librarising

librarising LADA · Well-Known Member

I agree. There just seemed to be a lot of talk about scurvy, for some reason.
    Geoff

14. covknit

Sorry my fault. The question of what is a healthy amount of fruit and veg comes up quite often on this site and I am aware a lot of people do not consume any. The subject of scurvy came up at an NHS meet I attended recently. So I got to wondering.

15. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think a little good fat (fish, olive etc) can go a long way, eggs also have some vitamins.

People seem to get very sick if they just eat lean meat, but to be OK if the fat is left on the meat, but the "trail" was only done with 2 people over 1 year. The person without the fat got sick in a few weeks, but recovered as soon they stopped removing the fat from his meat. Details in the "living low carb" book.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NoCrbs4Me

Yes, I've heard of the study. The poor guy who started out on lean meat was Vilhjalmur Stefansson. He knew very well he'd get sick without fat in his diet, but the people running the study wanted to document it. I consider fat from beef to be excellent fat. It's artificial fats and plant derived fat using industrial processes that are not healthy. You can donwload a pdf of his book here:

http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the-land-not-by-bread-alone-vilhjalmur-stefansson.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  17. NoCrbs4Me

I've heard that in America scurvy is becoming more common due to some people eating almost all ultra-processed food.

18. Sweet_Sophie

Sweet_Sophie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Wow my son would love seeing this. For 10 years he only ate broccoli ! And we were for ever trying for him to eat any other veg and his diet was no fruit. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook