Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Tomorrow I have an appointment to discuss insulin pumps with my diabetes team at the hospital.

I have had many discussions already with them but tomorrow is an opportunity to look at some and see if one I like the look of is available on the nhs.

I do a lot of Lindy hop dancing and recently started doing weights/exercise to tone up and reduce weight. This aside my main worry is getting the wire attached to it caught whilst doing this.

Is it possible for any insulin pump users to tell me: what they use, if they got it on the nhs, what it looks like wearing and not wearing but more importantly the good bits about them?

I know it is personal choice, but being new to this I thought it was worth asking.

Thank you all in advance.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lindy01 - I've had a pump since 2015 and I love it! I am very active and have only ever caught the hosepipe ONCE, and that was on a door handle at home while I was trying to reach up for some clothes I'd hung on the door while barely dressed - ie a unique scenario! It was amusing more than anything else - no harm done, although as it pulled the cannula out completely I did of course have to replace it!

My life has improved immeasurably since I got my pump. It's an Accuchek Insight, and I love it.

My HbA1c was in target so I felt I wouldn't fit the NICE criteria, but I started talking to my diabetes centre about pumping in the April, they agreed to seek funding from the CCG in the July, funding was agreed in the August and I got my pump that October. Took me until around Christmas to really get used to it, but I haven't looked back!

I found the hosepipe - sorry, tubing - much much much much less of a 'thing' than I'd imagined. I find it no big deal.

The Insight is the only pump I've had. What I like about it that I think other pumps don't have is that it uses prefilled cartridges, which means there's no reservoir filling from a vial.

Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow - and do have a browse of some of the other recent threads on the pump forum as there is loads of feedback on loads of different pumps. I'm very envious that you're getting to meet some pumps at this stage - I didn't have a choice for mine, although I'm very very happy with it!

:happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lindy01 :)

I've been pumping 13 years and have used three different pumps, all tubed. The first model I loved, the second I hated so much I got it swapped for my third and current model - which I'm very pleased with.

It's an Animas Vibe and I love it :) It's robust, waterproof, intuitive to use, and takes Luer (universal) sets.

I am pretty active plus I have young children who've tested the robustness of my pump thoroughly!! It has survived with no problem :)

It's a great-looking pump, in my opinion, with a choice of colours. It's also compatible with the Dexcom CGM :) It takes any kind of fast acting insulin (I've used both Humalog and porcine in it) so you're not tied to one type of insulin.

Wearing it, I find it very discreet. Not wearing it, all that's left is the cannula, which is very small and thin, kind of like a plastic button stuck to your skin, depending on what set you're using.

My advice is to read lots and lots of reviews, watch videos on YouTube, and think about what's important for you. If you search here or read this subforum, you'll find a number of threads discussing all the pumps, so you can see what pros and cons gel with you :)

Reactions: himtoo and Snapsy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have had many discussions already with them but tomorrow is an opportunity to look at some and see if one I like the look of is available on the nhs.

Do you know which pumps are on offer to you @Lindy01

Is it possible for any insulin pump users to tell me: what they use, if they got it on the nhs, what it looks like wearing and not wearing but more importantly the good bits about them?

I'm a Omnipod Pump user, it's my first pump so no experience of a tubed pump. I choose it due to the fact it was tubeless and could be worn in the bath/shower or when swimming.

The Pods which deliver the insulin you wear all the time and are quite small and not intrusive, if you want to know more about the pump go to the Ypsomed website where you can view some demo video's or look on Youtube as Azure suggested. Good luck for tomorrow.

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lindy01 - I've had a pump since 2015 and I love it! I am very active and have only ever caught the hosepipe ONCE, and that was on a door handle at home while I was trying to reach up for some clothes I'd hung on the door while barely dressed - ie a unique scenario! It was amusing more than anything else - no harm done, although as it pulled the cannula out completely I did of course have to replace it!

My life has improved immeasurably since I got my pump. It's an Accuchek Insight, and I love it.

My HbA1c was in target so I felt I wouldn't fit the NICE criteria, but I started talking to my diabetes centre about pumping in the April, they agreed to seek funding from the CCG in the July, funding was agreed in the August and I got my pump that October. Took me until around Christmas to really get used to it, but I haven't looked back!

I found the hosepipe - sorry, tubing - much much much much less of a 'thing' than I'd imagined. I find it no big deal.

The Insight is the only pump I've had. What I like about it that I think other pumps don't have is that it uses prefilled cartridges, which means there's no reservoir filling from a vial.

Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow - and do have a browse of some of the other recent threads on the pump forum as there is loads of feedback on loads of different pumps. I'm very envious that you're getting to meet some pumps at this stage - I didn't have a choice for mine, although I'm very very happy with it!

:happy::happy::happy:

Hi @Snapsy

Thanks for the message and your story did sound a little unique lol

The insight is the one they really want me to have and must admit the thing that bothers me most but shouldn't is the hosepipe sorry... tubing ;)

I must admit pre filled cartridges and size of the pump is kind of a key selling point for me when researching them online.

Thank you for your kind message and I am very excited to be looking at them today... fingers crossed it goes well.

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lindy01 :)

I've been pumping 13 years and have used three different pumps, all tubed. The first model I loved, the second I hated so much I got it swapped for my third and current model - which I'm very pleased with.

It's an Animas Vibe and I love it :) It's robust, waterproof, intuitive to use, and takes Luer (universal) sets.

I am pretty active plus I have young children who've tested the robustness of my pump thoroughly!! It has survived with no problem :)

It's a great-looking pump, in my opinion, with a choice of colours. It's also compatible with the Dexcom CGM :) It takes any kind of fast acting insulin (I've used both Humalog and porcine in it) so you're not tied to one type of insulin.

Wearing it, I find it very discreet. Not wearing it, all that's left is the cannula, which is very small and thin, kind of like a plastic button stuck to your skin, depending on what set you're using.

My advice is to read lots and lots of reviews, watch videos on YouTube, and think about what's important for you. If you search here or read this subforum, you'll find a number of threads discussing all the pumps, so you can see what pros and cons gel with you :)

Thank you for this information you have been most helpful

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know which pumps are on offer to you @Lindy01

I'm a Omnipod Pump user, it's my first pump so no experience of a tubed pump. I choose it due to the fact it was tubeless and could be worn in the bath/shower or when swimming.

The Pods which deliver the insulin you wear all the time and are quite small and not intrusive, if you want to know more about the pump go to the Ypsomed website where you can view some demo video's or look on Youtube as Azure suggested. Good luck for tomorrow.

I do like the look of the omnipod, do you find it easy to use?

Thank you for the advice and will let everyone know how I got on later today

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The insight is the one they really want me to have
That was exactly my position - I recall the team were really impressed with the way the handset works out ratios etc and they were really keen on it as a pump. Not trying to sway you in any way but regarding the tubed/tubeless question @Type1Lad said something about hosepipes in this thread yesterday http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/we-are-live.121850/ which hadn't hit my radar before.

Having a pump is for me much better than not having a pump, and I suspect I'd feel that regardless of which pump I had. They all have their pros and cons, from what I can gather.

Thinking of you today - have fun at the pump appointment! Do keep us posted!

:)

Reactions: Type1Lad

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh forgot to say @Lindy01 - I was lent an old pump for a week that they had hanging around at the diabetes centre - and I was given a cannula and hosepipe - I stuck the cannula on myself (without the needle, so it was just like a plaster) and wore the pump in a variety of ways - in a sports belt, in my trouser pocket, on my bra, etc - and slept with it both in a belt and 'free range' and got used to disconnecting it and reconnecting it for daily swimming and showering and erm other things that one might like to disconnect for ;) and it was really all much much less of a 'thing' that I'd imagined.

The issues I had when starting on my pump were solely to do with getting my basal rate and bolus ratios and correction ratios sorted, which took a while. But the hosepipe thing has always been fine.

Do ask if they've got an old tubed pump you could try on, with its hosepipe.

:happy:

Reactions: Lindy01

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh forgot to say @Lindy01 - I was lent an old pump for a week that they had hanging around at the diabetes centre - and I was given a cannula and hosepipe - I stuck the cannula on myself (without the needle, so it was just like a plaster) and wore the pump in a variety of ways - in a sports belt, in my trouser pocket, on my bra, etc - and slept with it both in a belt and 'free range' and got used to disconnecting it and reconnecting it for daily swimming and showering and erm other things that one might like to disconnect for ;) and it was really all much much less of a 'thing' that I'd imagined.

The issues I had when starting on my pump were solely to do with getting my basal rate and bolus ratios and correction ratios sorted, which took a while. But the hosepipe thing has always been fine.

Do ask if they've got an old tubed pump you could try on, with its hosepipe.

:happy:

Hey @Snapsy

I might actually ask when I go in, I didn't think about asking for a try on/trial when I'm there. You have made a very good point about where you may and may not be able to put it on the disconnecting for certain things makes it seem very much less of doom and gloom when it comes to the 'hosepipe tubing lol ☺

I think Getting used to one and the basal rates will be one of my hurdles.

You have been very helpful the last few days so thank you for all your Help!

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was exactly my position - I recall the team were really impressed with the way the handset works out ratios etc and they were really keen on it as a pump. Not trying to sway you in any way but regarding the tubed/tubeless question @Type1Lad said something about hosepipes in this thread yesterday http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/we-are-live.121850/ which hadn't hit my radar before.

Having a pump is for me much better than not having a pump, and I suspect I'd feel that regardless of which pump I had. They all have their pros and cons, from what I can gather.

Thinking of you today - have fun at the pump appointment! Do keep us posted!

:)

Hi @Snapsy

That is exactly what they are like with me. They seem to praise the insight for the way it works, has been developed, uses cartridges and software. They even say that if they asked someone if they could return it or have it back the request would be declined.

That is a very good point, I have read this and can see the pros and cons to both tubed and non tubed options. So will definitely bare this in mind.

You are too kind, thank you. I'm sure I will be fine, making a decision will be hard but will let you know how I get on later.

Again thanks for the info ☺

Reactions: Snapsy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't be swayed by what they recommend @Lindy01 The Insight was recommended for me, but I hated it. It was the pump I gave back. My clinic has now stopped recommending them due to some alerts.

Snapsy gets in well with it, I didnt. We are all different in our needs and expectations. Make sure you pick what's best for you and don't accept what you're told. Als lots of questions!

Reactions: BeccyB and Lindy01

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't be swayed by what they recommend @Lindy01 The Insight was recommended for me, but I hated it. It was the pump I gave back. My clinic has now stopped recommending them due to some alerts.

Snapsy gets in well with it, I didnt. We are all different in our needs and expectations. Make sure you pick what's best for you and don't accept what you're told. Als lots of questions!

Hi @azure

Thanks for the message.

I understand it is personal preference and will certainly ask lots of questions. To be honest I'm going to have to anyway as I'm really new to this.

So many makes and models to choose from, I feel it can sometimes be overwhelming :)

Thanks for your Help!

Reactions: Snapsy and azure

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Absolutely! And it's really good to know that there is an ever-widening range of pumps - with new tech being developed all the time. Wonder what'll be available in 2.5 years time when I hope to be funded for another pump when this one's warranty expires?
:):):)

Reactions: Lindy01

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Absolutely! And it's really good to know that there is an ever-widening range of pumps - with new tech being developed all the time. Wonder what'll be available in 2.5 years time when I hope to be funded for another pump when this one's warranty expires?
:):):)

I'm hoping for a cure by then - or at least a super-smart closed loop pump :D

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On the Insight question, Guy's and St Thomas' have also stopped recommending it due to the issues that people have had with it. They have had too many handbacks and prefer to offer the Combo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do like the look of the omnipod, do you find it easy to use?

Extremely easy, the hand-held device (PDM) which controls the Pods has a good size screen and the instruction manual that comes with the pump is self-explanatory.

Whichever pump you decide to go on do consider the pump training sessions that are sometimes offered by the pump reps, they talk you through the pump options such as setting different basal profiles/ using the various bolusing options such as an extended dose/dual-wave bolus which is great for difficult meals like those that are high in fat.

Just one more thing and don't know if it's been mentioned to you yet, there's an excellent book called Pumping Insulin which is a must for anyone on a pump or considering changing to one, the authors are John Walsh & Ruth Roberts and it can be bought on the likes of Amazon.

Again good luck and do keep us updated on your progress.