Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I thought I would try to start a dedicated book corner as I know that there are many book addicts out there. I would like that there should be a no holds barred approach so fiction or non fiction covering any and all subjects. From history to hagiography, from gardening to Greek mythology or from medicine to magazines.
I have spent the last ten years reading mediaeval British history but recently read Sebastian Barry's 'Secret Scriptures' a complete change for me but I was rapt with this novel and will return to it time and again to immerse myself in Barry's almost poetic use of the English language, a book worthy of any collection.

Reactions: Geordie_P
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Today, I finished my first Tom Wood book - Better off dead - impressive.

Reactions: Guzzler

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look back in the threads someone started this one a while back. However ... it's probably that far back you would miss it when looking for it.

Me - I'm reading 2 books (cus I'm greedy) I'm working my way through books by Lesley Pearse. The one I'm reading - called Rosie - is quite harrowing but I feel I have to read all the books she has written. Not many letters of the alphabet left in her books hee hee

I'm also reading my way through a series of books by Diana Gabaldon called the Outlander series. It's a sort of history novel set in Scotland, France and America. It's also a tv series

In another thread I mention I had tried reading the prequel to Game of Thrones series but got bored 40 pages in as there was no action. I'll try giving it another read when I have finished the library books I have

Do people still use their local library? I have an e-reader and about 20,000 books on my harddrive but still prefer to go to the library and use a book. I do still buy books too

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@MuntiJay

My lad bought me a kindle but the back light hurt my eyes and disrupted my sleep but to be honest, I missed the turn of the page in a real book.
On Martin, I read all the GoT books twice and then started on some of his other novels but was really dismayed, they were formulaic and average at best.

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I love my Kindle, and have recently 'bought' several Patricia Wentworth free books. I've just finished 'Will o' the Wisp'. (sadly no longer free). It's set in 1920's upper middle class England, a mystery, and a love story. I thought at first it was thin and inconsequential, but I kept being drawn back to it.

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
@MuntiJay

My lad bought me a kindle but the back light hurt my eyes and disrupted my sleep but to be honest, I missed the turn of the page in a real book.
On Martin, I read all the GoT books twice and then started on some of his other novels but was really dismayed, they were formulaic and average at best.

Have you tried turning the back light down? Mine sometimes seems too light if in a dark area.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you tried turning the back light down? Mine sometimes seems too light if in a dark area.
Aye, I tried that but as my sight is poor I had to raise the font size and it did annoy me having to click every forty seconds. Besides, I do love the old fashioned way and I hear real books are making a come back.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aye, I tried that but as my sight is poor I had to raise the font size and it did annoy me having to click every forty seconds. Besides, I do love the old fashioned way and I hear real books are making a come back.

I agree the font size can be annoying. I rarely use my e-reader as even with my reading glasses I have problems picking the typeface up. So it's sat on my shelf looking all forlorn. I might donate it to the charity shop in the next lot of stuff to go. I still have the box and the gubbings. They might get a fiver lol

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mine is the original Amazon Keyboard Kindle, apparently some people prefer them so I might get £3 for mine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Last book I read was the Alex Ferguson Autobiography, much prefer a book than those Kindle devices.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am an avid reader and currently reading an American civil war trilogy 'what if' book.

My favourite current author is Jody Taylor and her St Mary's series, historical time travel with twists and turns, a great heroine and the backdrop of it always somehow goes **** up! Humorous and really entertaining.
Kindle has it five stars for well over 1000 reviews.
I think the first in the series is free on kindle.

I prefer my original kindle to read my books, I can read it outside, I can't with my kindle fire! Books I read get to heavy for my hands! (That is my excuse!)

I use to go the library every month, before kindle. I never could get the books especially the new ones from the library, kindle may cost a few Bob, but the latest publications are there from the publication date!

Other authors I'm reading and following is Angela Marston. Crime thriller.
Denise Grover Swank for her Rose Gardener series.
Harry Turtledove. What if books.
And there is a certain @RosieLKH who has had a few published.

I think it was me that started that ancient thread about three or fours years ago!

I have read an awful lot of fiction.
But I do really like non fiction books about the American civil war.
Fascinating stuff!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm still waiting on the delivery of my third Barry book and then I think I might go for another mediaeval history
book. I have Paul Kendal's 'Warwick The King Maker' on my nightstand but I can be easily distracted at times when I have a few to chose from. Like they say - So many books, so little time.

Reactions: Lamont D

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm re-reading Clare Tomalin's biography of Ellen Ternan, Charles Dickens ' mistress. Part fact, part deduction and a brilliant piece of work, particularly if you're a Dickens nut like me.

I find that I'm reading a lot more non fiction nowadays, though I still enjoy a good, original piece of storytelling.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm still waiting on the delivery of my third Barry book and then I think I might go for another mediaeval history
book. I have Paul Kendal's 'Warwick The King Maker' on my nightstand but I can be easily distracted at times when I have a few to chose from. Like they say - So many books, so little time.

You might enjoy @RosieLKH fiction.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am an avid reader and currently reading an American civil war trilogy 'what if' book.

Harry Turtledove. What if books.
I think it was me that started that ancient thread about three or fours years ago!

If you're talking about the world war series by Turtledove I think we had a conversation on the other thread about those. Love those books although I couldnt quite get into the role reversal book where the humans went to the alien's planet. I might give it another go - I have it somewhere on my hard-drive. Guess I better hang onto the old e-reader til after that lol. Either that or nick hubby's when he's not looking

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, it was the world war series.
But my favourite series of Turtledoves is the American series which started with 'Guns of the South' and covered the next hundred years, if the Confederate States had won the civil war. His characters and the characters through the generations was brilliant. I think that it's about ten long books in the series!

If you noticed at the end of the world war series that it was left open, because it was supposed to be a three book series added on but really flopped and got a huge criticism about trying to expand the series.

I also enjoyed his take on Pearl Harbour and the Japanese invading the island. But poor ending tho!
The Americans won too easy!

It's funny, but I can't get Turtledove through Amazon, it's keeps popping up on my recommended pages for mass market paperback but not as an e-book!
Just wonder if he objects to the electronic books.

I do think some of his stand alone books are better than his magic books. I just can't get into them!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But my favourite series of Turtledoves is the American series which started with 'Guns of the South' and covered the next hundred years, if the Confederate States had won the civil war. His characters and the characters through the generations was brilliant. I think that it's about ten long books in the series!

If you noticed at the end of the world war series that it was left open, because it was supposed to be a three book series added on but really flopped and got a huge criticism about trying to expand the series.

I also enjoyed his take on Pearl Harbour and the Japanese invading the island. But poor ending tho!

It's funny, but I can't get Turtledove through Amazon, it's keeps popping up on my recommended pages for mass market paperback but not as an e-book!

I do think some of his stand alone books are better than his magic books. I just can't get into them!

Thankyou for that, I will be giving them a look at the local library. They may not have them because of how long the series has been going but I will try to find them. Even if it means using the old e-reader and hubby finding them online. I really enjoyed the World War ones. I used to read them at the bus stop going to work and then passed them onto hubby when we met all those years ago. I'm sure we still have them in the cupboard over the stairs :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

@Lamont D
Have you tried ABE Books? The site isn't the most user freindly (you need to be exact on title or author because it is case sensitive).