Weekly weigh in - Fridays

D

Deleted member 308541

I have gained a bit more weight to get back to 90 Kg, got back up to 86.9 Kg.

BMI went up a little bit to 23.1 but still in the good zone.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have gone from 132.90kgs on the 8th May (monday) to this mornings 125.80kgs in 7wks. A 7.10kg loss = 1.11stone loss.
277.34lbs now.
On average losing 1kg per week!

So by this time next year without bariatric surgery I could be 72.80kgs = 11.45st.
Now we all know that won't happen because life doesn't work like that.
Weight loss slows down and stop or reverse.

Question is thou.
Can I do this on my own instead of surgery?
Hospital is gave me their best dietician and best medicine to support weight loss.
Am I now in a good position to lose weight, without surgery?

I still have high blood pressure, I still have huge insulin resistance and my morality rate is poor.
Surgery guarantees weight loss and better blood pressure and less insulin. At least. Maybe more mobility in my back and no insulin. Maybe no betablockers too.
I cannot lose with surgery. I lose most of my stomach and half of intestines so my body gets forced malnutrition to lose weight. Permanently.

Reactions: mo53

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still 6.stone 13 nobody has found my pound yet !
CAROL

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have gone from 132.90kgs on the 8th May (monday) to this mornings 125.80kgs in 7wks. A 7.10kg loss = 1.11stone loss.
277.34lbs now.
On average losing 1kg per week!

So by this time next year without bariatric surgery I could be 72.80kgs = 11.45st.
Now we all know that won't happen because life doesn't work like that.
Weight loss slows down and stop or reverse.

Question is thou.
Can I do this on my own instead of surgery?
Hospital is gave me their best dietician and best medicine to support weight loss.
Am I now in a good position to lose weight, without surgery?

I still have high blood pressure, I still have huge insulin resistance and my morality rate is poor.
Surgery guarantees weight loss and better blood pressure and less insulin. At least. Maybe more mobility in my back and no insulin. Maybe no betablockers too.
I cannot lose with surgery. I lose most of my stomach and half of intestines so my body gets forced malnutrition to lose weight. Permanently.

Ickihun, you will get there no doubt with your dedication and strong will. You have proven you can do it. Not easy but you can do it.

Reactions: ickihun

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun - I respect your right to make your own mind up about the suitability, or otherwise of bariatric surgery for yourself, but I would urge you to have a look at the attached document, along the way.

I may have mentioned this before, but I have a friend who underwent surgery (actually travelled to the USA for it) for weight loss. Yes, she lost a terrific amount of weight in the aftermath, but she didn't alter her way of eating and would still be having curries with rice etc, ice cream, Mars bars and so on, only they were liquidised.

Within a relatively brief time, she was back to her starting weight (and remains there), scarred from the surgery, is several thousands of pounds poorer, and chronically malnourished, with osteoporosis, probably as a result of her actions. Hers is a sorry tale, and not too unusual. This lady is a senior matron in a major NHS hospital, so she is no mug.

I'm not suggesting that is your intended or even unintended route, but whilst initial weight loss is almost certainly likely to happen, sustained weight loss is not guaranteed.

I really do wish you well, and applaud your efforts thus far in trimming up. Do you have the option to defer for a while, to see how your losses continue, without undergoing irreversible surgery?

Apologies for the off-topic nature of this post, but in the spirit of the thread, I will declare myself to be a steady 48kg in the mornings, with a variance of c0.5kg on a day-to-day basis.

Attachments

• Bariatric Post Op Complications.pdf
    136.8 KB · Views: 250

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun - I respect your right to make your own mind up about the suitability, or otherwise of bariatric surgery for yourself, but I would urge you to have a look at the attached document, along the way.

I may have mentioned this before, but I have a friend who underwent surgery (actually travelled to the USA for it) for weight loss. Yes, she lost a terrific amount of weight in the aftermath, but she didn't alter her way of eating and would still be having curries with rice etc, ice cream, Mars bars and so on, only they were liquidised.

Within a relatively brief time, she was back to her starting weight (and remains there), scarred from the surgery, is several thousands of pounds poorer, and chronically malnourished, with osteoporosis, probably as a result of her actions. Hers is a sorry tale, and not too unusual. This lady is a senior matron in a major NHS hospital, so she is no mug.

I'm not suggesting that is your intended or even unintended route, but whilst initial weight loss is almost certainly likely to happen, sustained weight loss is not guaranteed.

I really do wish you well, and applaud your efforts thus far in trimming up. Do you have the option to defer for a while, to see how your losses continue, without undergoing irreversible surgery?

Apologies for the off-topic nature of this post, but in the spirit of the thread, I will declare myself to be a steady 48kg in the mornings, with a variance of c0.5kg on a day-to-day basis.[/USER]

For some reason I cannot open this pdf file on this tablet. I'll read it tomorrow from my phone or other tablet.
I do listen to people's experience as they are the most accurate data about the op.
I have been asked for 3 yrs whether I'd consider this op so I've had plenty of time to think about it.
My sister's mother-in-law had hers 1yr ago. She doesn't blend mars bars and has lost 11st. I won't lose 11st but I should lose at least 5st.
I will improve my very high blood pressure and very severe insulin resistance.
My mortality rate will improve too.
I'm sorry your friend didn't receive adequate after care from her life changing op.
I'm now a lifetime member of the bariatric scheme and I will receive very regular after care appointments, til I die.
Your friend has not received enough support. Before or after her op. I don't suppose the nhs wants to know since they didn't sanction her op?
It is very sad when people go through a huge op to then damage themselves with junk food.
I just want to not feeling I'm starving when I only eat 600cals a day for my body's needs. That is all my body needs to function well.
I'm not enjoying food now anyway. I've stopped craving for carbs and protein due to great bgs.

But I cannot eat just 600cals and be hungry and bad tempered all the time.
My body doesn't need much more than that to be healthy.
With supplements for life, which are not putting pressure on my kidneys or liver, are easier to take than the 27 meds per day I take now.
I'm surprised my kidneys aren't struggling. I know my fatty liver is. I don't need the amount of carbs I eat as low carb. My test result is still showing a fatty liver. This will also improve from this op.
I cannot wait any longer as my body is struggling with the excessive weight!
Organs especially!
I have agreed to the op and was fantasizing in my earlier post of how wonderful it would be to lose 10st in a yr with the huge amounts of insulin I take and 3 medical conditions which predispose me to weight gain. I was dreaming. This op can at least help me achieve my goal and I fully understand maintenance will probables be the hardest part!

If only I could fast forward a year!!!

Ps. We are told about past patients blending mars bars.
Luckily for me, I don't like them. Too sweet.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have water retention again this afternoon and evening. I'm now wondering if kidney related @Contralto . My eGFR was too low in my last blood test, again.
Looking forward to weigh-in at dietician appointment in 10days time. This friday too.

Reactions: 13lizanne

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

For some reason I cannot open this pdf file on this tablet. I'll read it tomorrow from my phone or other tablet.
I do listen to people's experience as they are the most accurate data about the op.
I have been asked for 3 yrs whether I'd consider this op so I've had plenty of time to think about it.
My sister's mother-in-law had hers 1yr ago. She doesn't blend mars bars and has lost 11st. I won't lose 11st but I should lose at least 5st.
I will improve my very high blood pressure and very severe insulin resistance.
My mortality rate will improve too.
I'm sorry your friend didn't receive adequate after care from her life changing op.
I'm now a lifetime member of the bariatric scheme and I will receive very regular after care appointments, til I die.
Your friend has not received enough support. Before or after her op. I don't suppose the nhs wants to know since they didn't sanction her op?
It is very sad when people go through a huge op to then damage themselves with junk food.
I just want to not feeling I'm starving when I only eat 600cals a day for my body's needs. That is all my body needs to function well.
I'm not enjoying food now anyway. I've stopped craving for carbs and protein due to great bgs.

But I cannot eat just 600cals and be hungry and bad tempered all the time.
My body doesn't need much more than that to be healthy.
With supplements for life, which are not putting pressure on my kidneys or liver, are easier to take than the 27 meds per day I take now.
I'm surprised my kidneys aren't struggling. I know my fatty liver is. I don't need the amount of carbs I eat as low carb. My test result is still showing a fatty liver. This will also improve from this op.
I cannot wait any longer as my body is struggling with the excessive weight!
Organs especially!
I have agreed to the op and was fantasizing in my earlier post of how wonderful it would be to lose 10st in a yr with the huge amounts of insulin I take and 3 medical conditions which predispose me to weight gain. I was dreaming. This op can at least help me achieve my goal and I fully understand maintenance will probables be the hardest part!

If only I could fast forward a year!!!

Ps. We are told about past patients blending mars bars.
Luckily for me, I don't like them. Too sweet.

Ickihun, you make a lot of assumptions about my friend, but that's neither here nor there. I wish you luck with whatever decisions you make. The attached document is plain old .pdf document, so you should be able to view it, provided your tablet or phone supports the viewing of that common file type. I haven't recorded the source, so can't use the url, so apologies for that.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun, you make a lot of assumptions about my friend, but that's neither here nor there. I wish you luck with whatever decisions you make. The attached document is plain old .pdf document, so you should be able to view it, provided your tablet or phone supports the viewing of that common file type. I haven't recorded the source, so can't use the url, so apologies for that.
I'm sorry about red lettering, I couldn't get rid of it.

I'm prepared for criticism for having this op. Your friend will tell you, it goes with the territory. My family have started already saying its a cheating way to lose weight.
Yes, I do want to cheat life....out of my early death.
I'm sure your friend did her op for the same reason. To improve her mortality rate.
My sister's mother-in-law had fat choking her to death. She did the right thing. She looks very very healthy and is enjoying her mobility again. She isn't slim because she was a size uk 30 clothes before the op.
Anyone who attempts to lose weight has my blessing. If that means an op to help that person do it, so be it.
SMIL has said she would do it again as the gain has given her her life back.
Many feel that way and some aren't happy with their outcome. Expectation has a lot to do with it.
Some people think it gives them a license to eat anything after op. Nope!
It just stops the hunger pangs so you can slim your weight off. Under medical supervision.

Reactions: rainbow79

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight in July 15 was 120kg/18st 13lbs my weight today 55.3kg/8st 10lbs so a total weight loss of just over 63.5kg/10st and have been maintaining this weight for last 4 months I think so it is possible to loose a lot of weight through diet and life style choices but everyone is different, no one should judge what route we each take to loose weight we all do what is best for ourselves and our bodies, we should be encouraging and supportive, loosing weight is hard and not particularly fun (oh I miss soooooo many foods lol) I have such admiration for everyone's weight loss journeys :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight in July 15 was 120kg/18st 13lbs my weight today 55.3kg/8st 10lbs so a total weight loss of just over 63.5kg/10st and have been maintaining this weight for last 4 months I think so it is possible to loose a lot of weight through diet and life style choices but everyone is different, no one should judge what route we each take to loose weight we all do what is best for ourselves and our bodies, we should be encouraging and supportive, loosing weight is hard and not particularly fun (oh I miss soooooo many foods lol) I have such admiration for everyone's weight loss journeys :)

Wow, wow, wow, Rainbow!

Bearing in mind I weigh 48kg, you have actually lost all of me, plus a spare arm and leg, I reckon. That's quite astonishing. Your appearance must be totally different in almost every way.

A big well done. I'm assuming you are now in maintenance mode?

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod thank you :) yes I am now in maintaining which is where the harder work begins, so far doing well sticking to what I know, just don't want to loose anymore. Deciding when to stop was hard but feel this is the right weight for me, last HbA1c was 30 and feeling the best I ever have done in my life.

Reactions: Prem51 and jonbvn

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Me too.
Even professor at St.Thomas's told me my health conditions cause weight gain.
So im very proud of weight losers!!!

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ickihun

Not making decisions for you. However, with the medical conditions you describe I think drastic action is required. This to me suggests surgery is the best option. I am sure you will be successful whatever you decide.

Reactions: Liam1955

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun

Not making decisions for you. However, with the medical conditions you describe I think drastic action is required. This to me suggests surgery is the best option. I am sure you will be successful whatever you decide.
Thanks @jonbvn . I nearly died last winter. I cannot have another bad winter like it.
I've never been this heavy. I cannot function properly like this. I'm too young to give up. I'm a fighter but even I have my limits!
Even if I resolve one of my problems I'll be happy.
I'm still losing weight but I'm ill again. I cannot breathe with asthma, which I've never had nor ever smoked.
Taking multivitamins and vit d now too. More meds since I've tried to lose weight on lchf but lclf working for me.

I'm looking forward to friday's weigh-in :)

Reactions: jonbvn and Liam1955

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ickihun

I am so sorry to read about all your medical problems and I am sure it is not easy to cope. I believe you have a young family to take care of, if I am not mistaken reading from your past posts (pardon me if I am wrong) It is a wonder how you survive from day to day. Do you ever ask God, why me?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I previously posted (4 days ago)
"I have gone from 132.90kgs on the 8th May (monday) to this mornings 125.80kgs in 7wks. A 7.10kg loss = 1.11stone loss.

277.34lbs now.

On average losing 1kg per week!"

This morning I'm 124.80kgs so since monday I've lost 1kg. :) :) :)
So 8.10kg loss since 8th May 2017 :)

Reactions: jonbvn and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am so sorry to read about all your medical problems and I am sure it is not easy to cope. I believe you have a young family to take care of, if I am not mistaken reading from your past posts (pardon me if I am wrong) It is a wonder how you survive from day to day. Do you ever ask God, why me?
Yes. He replies "so you can help, others". ;)