too much of a good thing

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone have any ideas of what I can nibble with a coffee in place of biscuits? I am having to give up on double cream, dark chocolate and pork scratchings as, although they don't spike me, they are becoming too much of a good thing and weight has remained steadfastly the same for 6 weeks. Too many years habit of having something to eat to accompany a drink.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Yai - do you really need a nibble with your coffee ? Honestly there are no 'healthy' nibbles for coffee it really is a case of changing your habits, perhaps try green tea instead which will help your bg levels, sorry but nibbles do raise your bg levels so changing your habits would be a much better alternative health wise :)

Reactions: Robbity and dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about a couple of sticks of celery with cream cheese.
I suggest that you cut the sticks into short lengths and then put a small amount of the cheese in the groove, then arrange tastefully on a plate, maybe with tomato, slices or a couple of those little ones - I find that taking the jug with the whole root and the full pack of cheese results in them empty and me full (TEMF syndrome)

Yai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ye
Hi @Yai - do you really need a nibble with your coffee ? Honestly there are no 'healthy' nibbles for coffee it really is a case of changing your habits, perhaps try green tea instead which will help your bg levels, sorry but nibbles do raise your bg levels so changing your habits would be a much better alternative health wise :)
Yes, common sense tells me you are right. I actually drink green tea, but not very often as I don't like the taste of food with it! Just need a kick up the pants.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ye
Yes, common sense tells me you are right. I actually drink green tea, but not very often as I don't like the taste of food with it! Just need a kick up the pants.
Have you answered your own question? You don't like the taste of food with green tea. So maybe substitute green tea for your coffee, then you won't fancy food?! ;)

Reactions: Francina

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Anyone have any ideas of what I can nibble with a coffee in place of biscuits? I am having to give up on double cream, dark chocolate and pork scratchings as, although they don't spike me, they are becoming too much of a good thing and weight has remained steadfastly the same for 6 weeks. Too many years habit of having something to eat to accompany a drink.
You probably are talking about an energy boost during the day but how much energy requirement have you got? If you are also watching the weight do you really need to have something with the coffee? Maybe water to take the hunger pangs away until your next meal time.

To answer your question from a different direction eggy muffin. Omit cheese if you are watching weight although I have no meds, low carb, mod fat and lost some weight eating cheese, cream etc. Presume you are doing low calorie or maybe for you it is different. I have been averaging only 1kg loss per month which is probably not fast enough for most people.

Could you change the circumstances around the time you have your coffee. I have had to give up on eating out, knitting group and several things I used to do and replace them with film nights, museum visits and inviting people for coffee with eggy muffins. So far absolutely NO ONE has gone for the idea of a walk in the park or visit to gardens.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
A square of very dark chocolate? Works for me.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like a FEW salty macadamias or a pinch of home roasted pumpkin seeds but at times they too were 'too much of a good thing'. I can portion control now.