Can't sleep !

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I experienced this when I first went very low carb. My son described me as manic and I was certainly on a high. One night I was cleaning the kitchen at 11pm with great enthusiasm. As time has gone on I am eating a little more carbs, weight is stable and though I am still energetic the kitchen is a lot less clean and I am sleeping better!
Thanks - good to know I'm not alone - I'll try and stress about it less.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The great suggestions so far have been related to mental relaxation.
You say you have lots of energy during the day - does this give you the energy for some vigorous exercise? A long walk or a run may help to tire you out.

The other thing to consider is the heat - this is keeping many of us awake at the moment.

Finally, the one that is easier to say than do is "don't stress about it". Stressing about not sleeping is likely to keep your mind active and harder to sleep.

Good luck.

Yes, trying not to stress about it - and luckily I'm not working at the moment, so I guess it doesn't matter if I sleep or not ! Have been going to the gym almost everyday - that just energises me more ! but I'm going to keep doing it as it seems to give good results BS-wise

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been sleeping much less this year - but I joined in a morris side, playing in the band, and have got roped in to play for other things as well - I tend to sleep better after an outing with the morris - though it would not do for everyone, they are an energetic lot and travel widely.
Perhaps taking a short walk in the cool of the evening might be helpful?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My husband got some successful results from Paul McKenna's 'I Can Make You Sleep' CD - I don't know if its still available but Mr Chook listens to it when he goes through a period of insomnia and it work very well for him.

Reactions: ickihun

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband got some successful results from Paul McKenna's 'I Can Make You Sleep' CD - I don't know if its still available but Mr Chook listens to it when he goes through a period of insomnia and it work very well for him.
Thanks for the tip!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found I needed less thyroxine meds on lower carbs diet. I have underactive thyroid treated with levothyroxine.
I've ended up on betablockers to calm me down on low carb.
Its worth having a chat with your gp before and during low carb diet change, I found.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found I needed less thyroxine meds on lower carbs diet. I have underactive thyroid treated with levothyroxine.
I've ended up on betablockers to calm me down on low carb.
Its worth having a chat with your gp before and during low carb diet change, I found.
Thanks, will do, I am in thyroxine too, so might be influencing it

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
thanks for your support - I've heard bad things about melatonin, but I'll check it out again.
I've heard similar reports. I had it recomended to me, but without professional advice I tend to steer clear. Someone actually told me to try testosterone! Not as such!!

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
@Resurgam - another morris muso here.

I have always used meditation techniques to get to sleep if I am not tired enough to drop off easily. One big plus of having a father who was a buddhist! Lots if info available on simple meditation techniques available online. Very handy when the mind is racing, which is very likely if you are not working at the moment.

MikeP_in_KY_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Recently diagnosed type II and have been strictly controlling my carbs - weight dropping off and eventually BS numbers coming down (took almost a month for anything to really happen) Anyway... I have sooooo much energy, which is great during the day, literally getting so much done, but the problem is I can't sleep at night as I'm just not tired ! Any ideas ? have tried soothing music and camomile tea, so far nothing. Just keep finding myself giving up at about 3 am and and getting up for an hour or so. Would really like to be able to get to sleep at a decent time.
Hello from Kentucky...I am a T2 and had the same problem for years, until mys sister who is a T1 gave me her secret. Set your room at a comfortable temp then raise or lower the temp to suit your personal comfort level. I like a cool to cold room, my wife prefers warm. We keep the bedroom at 20c(or lower) and while I sleep with just a sheet, she uses an electric bed warmer. If you have no way to lower the air temp (no air conditioning?) use a fan to move the air around. Hope it helps.

Reactions: charliebarker

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello from Kentucky...I am a T2 and had the same problem for years, until mys sister who is a T1 gave me her secret. Set your room at a comfortable temp then raise or lower the temp to suit your personal comfort level. I like a cool to cold room, my wife prefers warm. We keep the bedroom at 20c(or lower) and while I sleep with just a sheet, she uses an electric bed warmer. If you have no way to lower the air temp (no air conditioning?) use a fan to move the air around. Hope it helps.
That's great thanks for the tip!

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
I also have a similar problem. Got this advice from a Yogi........when in bed, focus only on your breathing. Listen to your breathing. Try to cut off any thoughts from your mind. You should be asleep in a minute!! Works for me.

ilan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I to have suffered with this problem and think it may be to do with the body clock My bg was at 5.8 at 9.00pm by midnight it has risen to 6.7 and at 2.00am fallen back to 6.2 with it being 6.5 at 7.00 am my last meal and drink was at 7.00pm so not sure what goes on but I know why I feel so awake in the middle of the night .

Reactions: charliebarker
D

Deleted member 371547

Hi all,

I am having the same problem, when I get into bed my mind starts to race and I cant switch off. I end up working out how much sleep I can get and then count down the hours im awake and get more stressed. Have tried Kalms, sominex and Nitol, nothing seems to work as mu mind is too active.

Starting to really get me down. Just started a relationship too and we are six months in, she does snore occasionally and mves about a bit. It does add to the stress of it all and the times I am dropping off I get disturbed.

I tend to sleep better when the pressure is off me to get up the next day, so weekends without work.

Any advice would be great

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You've probably done this - but have you cut out coffee, tea, cola, chocolate and other caffeine containing substances from lunchtime onwards. I am very caffeine intolerant and can't have anything with caffeine in any more or I'm awake all night.

Apart from the caffeine thing, I was advised to give it 20 mins and if I couldn't sleep then get up and do something else for a bit rather than lay there and worry. Also to keep mobile phones, tablets and TV out of the bedroom and not use social media for at least an hour before bed to give yourself time to unwind and properly relax. A hot shower before going to bed helps, too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely agree to everything @Chook says, except that I needed to absolutely give up ALL tea and coffee (even decaff).
Which then made a huge difference, but it took me a very long time before I realised that even one cup of decaff at breakfast was causing so much aggro.