Feeling ill

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few months ago.
I'm very overweight, I have been trying to start a vlcd (very low calorie diet)
This is my 4th attempt & I can't manage a full day without feeling really ill & shaky?
Is this because of my diabetes? Or is it purely my fat body rebelling?
Thanks for your advice in advance!
Louise

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you checked your blood glucose levels? Are you on insulin?

It can be false hypos, where the body thinks its blood sugar levels are too low because it's so used to high ones, or the dreaded carb flu. In either of those cases it's best to power thru, but if you really feel unwell, and your bgl are high or low, check with medical assistance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately a very low calorie diet is starvation - and you are reacting in a perfectly normal way to lack of nourishment. Any body would do the same, reacting to a threat to future existence.
I used to simply shut down if I tried to follow low calorie diets, I went cold, weak, and very pale.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your replies, I was told by my diabetes nurse I didn't need to check my blood sugars? (I had gestational diabetes 14+15 years ago & had to check it 4 times a day)
I'm currently on 2 x 500 metformin twice daily, really do feel awful just now

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - Metformin prevents your liver releasing glucose into your blood - if you are eating very little and taking Metformin then it could be why you are feeling so ill.
Many people get the same advice on testing - many ignore it and purchase a low cost meter and strips in order to see how they are reacting to the treatment or diet they are on.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh I see, my gp told me I had to keep taking my metformin regardless to what diet I was doing? There is so much conflicting information everywhere, but thanks for the advice, I might try buy a monitor then get an appointment with my diabetes nurse

Reactions: Guzzler and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh I see, my gp told me I had to keep taking my metformin regardless to what diet I was doing? There is so much conflicting information everywhere, but thanks for the advice, I might try buy a monitor then get an appointment with my diabetes nurse
@AM1874 has some great info about buying own meter and strips.
I'd definitely monitor to see what's actually going on. What was your last hba1c blood test result number?

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@AM1874 has some great info about buying own meter and strips.
I'd definitely monitor to see what's actually going on. What was your last hba1c blood test result number?
I've never actually been told, the last time I was at my diabetes nurse, she took blood & told me gp would be in touch if needs be? Would you recommend I phone my gp surgery to find out? Sorry for all the questions

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've never actually been told, the last time I was at my diabetes nurse, she took blood & told me gp would be in touch if needs be? Would you recommend I phone my gp surgery to find out? Sorry for all the questions
Yes. It should be a quick call.
Try and get a meter to keep you informed of diabetes related or no relation at all.
Not all illness is diabetes related.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
The only reason the diabetic nurse doesn't want you to test is because the NHS won't pay out for T2 diabetics to test. They are terrified of the cost. They (the surgeries) don't seem to realise that we will cost them far less money in the long term if we test and find out what food stuffs spike our blood sugar.
Look out for the code free meter. I don't have the details to hand, but there is a code for a discount. I believe the meter if free from their site.

Reactions: Sam50

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The only reason the diabetic nurse doesn't want you to test is because the NHS won't pay out for T2 diabetics to test. They are terrified of the cost. They (the surgeries) don't seem to realise that we will cost them far less money in the long term if we test and find out what food stuffs spike our blood sugar.
Look out for the code free meter. I don't have the details to hand, but there is a code for a discount. I believe the meter if free from their site.
Thanks for that, I will do!

Reactions: ickihun

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I will tag @daisy1 for some welcome info that you really should read. It will give you the basics on testing and what the numbers mean as well as diet and other useful information.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will tag @daisy1 for some welcome info that you really should read. It will give you the basics on testing and what the numbers mean as well as diet and other useful information.
Thank you that's great! All information is welcomed, I feel I've been left a bit in the dark before finding this site

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. Just echoing what has been said above. Definitely buy a meter and ignore completely the stupid advice about not having to test. It is the only way you will know what foods are increasing your blood sugar to unacceptable levels and the only way you will know if the diet you follow is working. Definitely call to get your last HbA1c test result and get back to us. I completely agree with @Resurgam regarding the low calorie diet...too few calories would make most of us (diabetic or not) feel tired and jaded if not plain ill. Think about carbohydrate reduction rather than reduction of calories. Cutting carbs will help with both blood sugar levels and weight. Good luck.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi @Loukay1 here's another link for you. This is to a site which many of us use, it tells you how to eat low carbohydrate and provides links to videos, articles which will all help you to understand how food affects your diabetes. Good luck
www.dietdoctor.com

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Loukay1 .. and welcome
The key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum. I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program and you might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor sites which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

It is a top priority that you get yourself a test meter and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor (unlikely), the costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available
I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps