Has anyone had this happen?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?

Disappointing to read and understand why you would be upset. There really are all sorts out there. I would recommend really not worrying about them and look after yourself. Easier written than done I know but it is important to you. Engaging to educate is probably also not so easy and will depend on the situation. Please don't let this stop you in public, just add a bit of circumspection to your procedure.

Keep on looking after yourself.

Buxton1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was newly diagnosed, I took an injection (I was in hospital) and the lady in the bed next to me, told all her family who were visiting that I was a drug addict. If I'm out and about, I just do my injection discreetly. The problem is with her, not you, that was a totally overdramatised reaction. Try not to let it bother you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
A friend once made a comment in front of a group of people which was something like 'uurgghhh' very loudly when she saw me injecting, despite me doing this as discretely as possible, it embarrassed me as i'd just got over my fear of doing this in public, sadly my opinion of her was diminished after this experience, despite me explaining about this being a necessity of managing my type 1, her reason was that she found it squeamish. However it did not put me off doing this again in public. This is her issue Alex, not yours, she showed a complete lack of understanding and compassion by making this comment, she would of also made herself look completely foolish, brush it off and dust yourself down it's just more plating for your armor.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear this @Alex_B - as other posters have said the problem is with her, not you. Try not to let it get to you. Take care

Reactions: Sharon14448

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

She's clearly immature or has issues @Alex_B Ignore her.

This luckily is a very rare event, so don't let it put you off injecting in public in future.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a row with her.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was newly diagnosed, I took an injection (I was in hospital) and the lady in the bed next to me, told all her family who were visiting that I was a drug addict. If I'm out and about, I just do my injection discreetly. The problem is with her, not you, that was a totally overdramatised reaction. Try not to let it bother you.
Completely agree.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Alex_B Another thought - I'm not sure where this happened, but if it was somewhere like a college or club, you or your mum could maybe let the management know.

Reactions: Liam1955

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alex B like azure said where did it happen do you mind me asking? I think that this is unbelievable and wrong on every level! ! I have many diabetes hang ups but testing and injecting in public aint one it's nobody else's business to be honest! Do not let it put you off injecting in public for every awful person like that one there are millions who have no issue and the majority probably wouldn't notice anyway. when I was at school we watched an educational video (this is going back they were all the rage early 90's) a man was having a hypo (bad) people thought he was drunk but then a passer by knew what was happening. There was someone injecting insulin with a needle a lot more noticeable than a novo pen. Some thought he was a heroin user but some general public members told them no....I think we need more education about our world - it did help me and my contemporaries be better understanding people.

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bon83 It was in a Mcdonald's restaurant. No one else had a problem but her, these people I was sitting next to didn't even look or take notice, I thought, why don't she just look away or leave because she had finished with her food anyway. She literally shouted it out and everyone turned to look at me, I felt like rubbish because I thought everyone was thinking "they're a druggy, injecting in a restaurant where there's kids." I burst into tears. This is the first time it has actually happened. But thankfully these two nice guys gave them an evil look and the girls quickly hurried out.

I would never do this to someone either me as a diabetic or not a diabetic, to be honest, I would be interested if it was someone else. If they had a problem I don't understand her need to shout it out, if you have a problem why don't they come over and ask me what I was injecting, yeah it's nobodies business but mine, but I would rather them ask me instead of shouting out *gag* "You're disgusting!" to everyone in the place.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bon83 It was in a Mcdonald's restaurant. No one else had a problem but her, these people I was sitting next to didn't even look or take notice, I thought, why don't she just look away or leave because she had finished with her food anyway. She literally shouted it out and everyone turned to look at me, I felt like rubbish because I thought everyone was thinking "they're a druggy, injecting in a restaurant where there's kids." I burst into tears. This is the first time it has actually happened. But thankfully these two nice guys gave them an evil look and the girls quickly hurried out.

I would never do this to someone either me as a diabetic or not a diabetic, to be honest, I would be interested if it was someone else. If they had a problem I don't understand her need to shout it out, if you have a problem why don't they come over and ask me what I was injecting, yeah it's nobodies business but mine, but I would rather them ask me instead of shouting out *gag* "You're disgusting!" to everyone in the place.
How awful for you. I am glad the two lads saw that she was wrong! It is totally the case that it's her problem not yours! Sometimes in life these people exist - hopefully something will make her change and grow up in the future. I know it doesn't help you but you probably aren't the only person she has done this to - she has probably made fun of others in some way! Stay strong you're a brave girl xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Alex - Stupid is, stupid does. She sounds a very immature and sad individual, who likes to voice her opinion's and make people feel uncomfortable. Have a good one liner ready, if it happens again, hopefully it won't.
Take care, chin up and stand proud.

Reactions: Sharon14448

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
When I was twenty (which is almost thirty years ago!) I used to mix my own insulin (2 vials) with a plastic syringe with a needle 3 times the size of todays.
What would she have made of those apples!

You take care and take no notice of that intellectual pigmy........

Tony

I'm not sure what I would have done aged 20 but now I'd have blown rather a large raspberry right at her.

Reactions: Juicyj

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi Alex,
Hope you're feeling better about her reaction now: remember, it's not you who made her react like that but the fact that she didn't know why you had to sort out your pen. She may have a reaction to needles.
If it happens again then take a deep breath and explain that you need insulin to stay alive. You could even suggest politely that someone looks away if they don't like it.
The pens are great, much better than the old syringes. I still kick myself that I missed an opportunity to explain years ago when I used one of the old syringes having breakfast on a train. The older couple sitting across from me looked at each other, then she mouthed 'junkie' to him. Oh why didn't I let them know what I was injecting and why!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you need to learn from my mum. She tore a strip off 2 old ladies several years ago and told them if I didn't inject I would die! They were all apologetic after that and said they would never judge on appearances again. Seriously though it's your life and you need to look after yourself so just either explain or tell them to get lost. Take care.