Has anyone had this happen?

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Alex
I have been type1diabetic for over 47 yes so I feel I
I can comment on this!
I also years ago had a glass syringe and huge needle but at that time did not inject outside as I only had 2
Injections a day.
Today is fantastic with the new pens and it is a much better way of life for me even though I Inject over 5
Times a day but have never experienced what you have.
People are so ignorant they should be in your shoes for one day and see how they like it!!!
Keep going there are so many understanding people out there - this one is in the minority!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe this happened to you. I lived with my Dad who has Type 1 for 41 years and then was diagnosed myself within type 1. There is no shame in keeping yourself safe and alive and healthy. If anyone did that to me I would give them an earful. Clearly immature and stupid. Let's hope she never has to deal with a chronic disease. Keep going and looking after yourself xx

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had this in my work place! I've been told I should be more discreet and inject in the toilet which is used by lots of people! I hide myself when injecting and it's always under the table. I think it's disgusting that people can be so nasty especially when it keeps us alive!!!!
Awful!!! I used to inject in toilets but nope not doing that anymore! I one day thought it's pretty gross in here! I don't go waggling the bloody pen around I try to be discreet and to be honest my Co workers are pretty nice - they may be curious but no one has ever said anything to me. The funniest part is doing the airshot I have a tissue or something but imagine if I sprayed up into the air or across the table - eeek ;)

Reactions: Sharon14448

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Comes back to education I think! In school's we need to be discussing real life things! Anyone who thinks an insulin pen is remotely like anything you would use to inject heroin which you need to cook on a spoon with a lighter is beyond ignorant!

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm..

Been diabetic for 20 odd years. Wouldn't openly inject in a restaurant, just as I wouldn't expect anyone to openly deal with a medical issue in a restaurant (obvious emergencies aside)? Purely because it has the potential to make other people feel uncomfortable.

Not a huge ask to go to the toilet and inject there really? So a non issue if you ask me.

Play devil's advocate perhaps?

Not everyone understands what diabetes is, what you are doing or why you are doing it.

Last edited:

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe this happened to you. I lived with my Dad who has Type 1 for 41 years and then was diagnosed myself within type 1. There is no shame in keeping yourself safe and alive and healthy. If anyone did that to me I would give them an earful. Clearly immature and stupid. Let's hope she never has to deal with a chronic disease. Keep going and looking after yourself xx

One of my best mates has Chrons disease and regularly has to change his colostomy bag.

I'd be a bit put off he did it whilst I was eating in a restaurant though!

Having a chronic illness isn't a licence to do as you wish under all circumstances.

Context is always important.

If what you're doing had the potential to raise eyebrows and you're likely to be upset by these reactions then surely don't do it the first place?

Or just do it discreetly? When I was on MDI I could inject in my leg at a table without my family realising I had done so.

Stop playing the victim.

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
One of my best mates has Chrons disease and regularly has to change his colostomy bag.

Having a chronic illness isn't a licence to do as you wish under all circumstances.

If what you're doing had the potential to raise eyebrows and you're likely to be upset by these reactions then surely don't do it the first place?

Or just do it discreetly? When I was MDI I could inject in my leg at a table without my family releasing I had done so.

Stop playing the victim.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Or just do it discreetly? When I was MDI I could inject in my leg at a table without my family releasing I had done so.

Stop playing the victim.
I understand your perspective and im not really knowledgeable about what changing a colostomy bag entails - is it comparable to using an insulin pen? Should people go to the toilet to take tablets or to use asthma inhalers? I understand that people may not know what is being used but to make a rude comment about something that you don't understand is classed as ignorance to me.

Landor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?

Forgive their ignorance! I can't repeat on here what I would have said as it's my first post but think you get the idea

Reactions: Dodo

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It's upsetting when someone looks at you and says urghhhh. I don't think that Alex is 'playing the victim'.
And for all those people who have colleagues objecting to them injecting in the work area, the Equality Act states that a room should be provided for people with diabetes to test and inject. We shouldn't have to do either in the toilet - especially some toilets I've experienced, and the likelihood of encountering bad bacteria and viruses is high in the best of them!

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand your perspective and im not really knowledgeable about what changing a colostomy bag entails - is it comparable to using an insulin pen? Should people go to the toilet to take tablets or to use asthma inhalers? I understand that people may not know what is being used but to make a rude comment about something that you don't understand is classed as ignorance to me.

If you have a medical condition and have to deal with it in a public space and it has the potential to raise eyebrows or make others uncomfortable. e.g injecting in a McDonald's or a family restaurant... Then yes you should be discreet.

Following your logic. Taking tablets does not have the same impact to others as injecting.

I honestly don't see it as an issue and have never wanted to inject publicly. It's always something I could time or do during a toilet break.

The world is bigger than "you" or "I" which many people need to remember.

Steve Bell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There are ignorant people who will mouth off for many reasons, not just at diabetics. With most trying to explain what you are doing will simply be ignored. Just ignore them, or if there are other people present you can tell them you are a diabetic and have to take insulin. Try to put it behind you, you are doing nothing wrong, you don't need to hide away.

If eating out I simply undo a shirt button and inject. Prior to that I'll shake, tap the pen, and holding it up eject 2 units as I was originally told to. I have done this many times when out for the day in London and in busy places, nobody paid any attention. In restaurants I've deliberately held the pen high at a table, wanting to see if I got a reaction, sadly none. I would love to have explained the basics of dealing with diabetes, most people aren't that informed. Perhaps another time I'll do it while the waitress is at the table, so if they haven't yet come across a diabetic injecting, they will now be familiar with it.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it bizarre that people seem to take offence to individuals reacting to someone taking an injection in a restaurant, as if they wouldn't or shouldn't. It is inappropriate.

It's this constant victim mentally, whinging about everything that allows the growth of the right wing and gives these individuals something to rally against.

Munsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaners! That there's no cure for diabetes.
Hi Alex,
Hope you're feeling better about her reaction now: remember, it's not you who made her react like that but the fact that she didn't know why you had to sort out your pen. She may have a reaction to needles.
If it happens again then take a deep breath and explain that you need insulin to stay alive. You could even suggest politely that someone looks away if they don't like it.
The pens are great, much better than the old syringes. I still kick myself that I missed an opportunity to explain years ago when I used one of the old syringes having breakfast on a train. The older couple sitting across from me looked at each other, then she mouthed 'junkie' to him. Oh why didn't I let them know what I was injecting and why!

It's none of anyone's business if you inject and I don't see why you should have to justify yourself to them.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are ignorant people who will mouth off for many reasons, not just at diabetics. With most trying to explain what you are doing will simply be ignored. Just ignore them, or if there are other people present you can tell them you are a diabetic and have to take insulin. Try to put it behind you, you are doing nothing wrong, you don't need to hide away.

If eating out I simply undo a shirt button and inject. Prior to that I'll shake, tap the pen, and holding it up eject 2 units as I was originally told to. I have done this many times when out for the day in London and in busy places, nobody paid any attention. In restaurants I've deliberately held the pen high at a table, wanting to see if I got a reaction, sadly none. I would love to have explained the basics of dealing with diabetes, most people aren't that informed. Perhaps another time I'll do it while the waitress is at the table, so if they haven't yet come across a diabetic injecting, they will now be familiar with it.

Why?

Why deliberately hold a pen at table height and seek a reaction?

Why expect that everyone should be familiar with it and want or have to deal with it.

Bizarre!

Reactions: hh1

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have a medical condition and have to deal with it in a public space and it has the potential to raise eyebrows or make others uncomfortable. e.g injecting in a McDonald's or a family restaurant... Then yes you should be discreet.

Following your logic. Taking tablets does not have the same impact to others as injecting.

I honestly don't see it as an issue and have never wanted to inject publicly. It's always something I could time or do during a toilet break.

The world is bigger than "you" or "I" which many people need to remember.
I think you're missing the point a bit, not everything in life can be timed. What if someone had high sugars and there was no where discreet around to take their insulin? Should they not take their insulin for fear of upsetting someone? No of course not! Insulin pens are discreet in themselves, most needle tips are 5mm or less and you can't see it entering the skin unless your are a few inches away from it. The world is full of different disabilities and diseases and the more we show these differences the more normal and accepted they will become. We need to be teaching type 1 diabetic children that there is no shame in taking our medicine, it doesn't have to clandestine, it's just a part of life. If anyone is playing victim it's the snowflakes that claim it upsets them but never stop to think that maybe their comments upset us and we're the ones who have to live with this disease and all the problems it brings. Oh and btw my mother has Crohn's disease so I know there is nothing comparable between changing her bag and me doing my insulin.

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why?

Why deliberately hold a pen at table height and seek a reaction?

Why expect that everyone should be familiar with it and want or have to deal with it.

Bizarre!
I don't even think about other people or their reaction when I do my insulin outside, it's not on my radar. I don't do it to upset someone or get a reaction, all I'm thinking about is trying to estimate my carb intake, work out units and try and remember the last site I used for my injection so I don't do it in the same place twice.

Reactions: Dodo and azure

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you're missing the point a bit, not everything in life can be timed. What if someone had high sugars and there was no where discreet around to take their insulin? Should they not take their insulin for fear of upsetting someone? No of course not! Insulin pens are discreet in themselves, most needle tips are 5mm or less and you can't see it entering the skin unless your are a few inches away from it. The world is full of different disabilities and diseases and the more we show these differences the more normal and accepted they will become. We need to be teaching type 1 diabetic children that there is no shame in taking our medicine, it doesn't have to clandestine, it's just a part of life. If anyone is playing victim it's the snowflakes that claim it upsets them but never stop to think that maybe their comments upset us and we're the ones who have to live with this disease and all the problems it brings. Oh and btw my mother has Crohn's disease so I know there is nothing comparable between changing her bag and me doing my insulin.

In my quarter of a century of having diabetes I've never been in the situation where I could not discreetly inject or put myself in a position to inject out of view.
I think you're missing the point a bit, not everything in life can be timed. What if someone had high sugars and there was no where discreet around to take their insulin? Should they not take their insulin for fear of upsetting someone? No of course not! Insulin pens are discreet in themselves, most needle tips are 5mm or less and you can't see it entering the skin unless your are a few inches away from it. The world is full of different disabilities and diseases and the more we show these differences the more normal and accepted they will become. We need to be teaching type 1 diabetic children that there is no shame in taking our medicine, it doesn't have to clandestine, it's just a part of life. If anyone is playing victim it's the snowflakes that claim it upsets them but n

As I said context, I don't think openly injecting in restaurants is worth the hassle. Nor when I go for a meal would I expect others to deal with their medical issues at the table. Manners, prudishness... I don't know.

I'm not saying there is shame in taking insulin at all.

Just don't expect everyone to share your point of view and be able to deal with their reactions without being on the verge of tears like the original poster suggested they were.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Disappointing to read and understand why you would be upset. There really are all sorts out there. I would recommend really not worrying about them and look after yourself. Easier written than done I know but it is important to you. Engaging to educate is probably also not so easy and will depend on the situation. Please don't let this stop you in public, just add a bit of circumspection to your procedure.

Keep on looking after yourself.
There needs to be a tv program about this to get the message out there and prevent it happening again to anyone. We all need to fight this ignorance.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my quarter of a century of having diabetes I've never been in the situation where I could not discreetly inject or put myself in a position to inject out of view.
The original poster was called disgusting for using an insulin pen (which I think it's hard to be offensive with really). I don't think being upset by that was an over reaction. Nobody has the right to call someone that in a public place.