Peerless67 "Newcastle diet"

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Peerless67 - I've just had a catch up on this thread, and I have to say you're really doing well.

I know most places suggest only weighing weekly, but bearing in mind your variances, and that you are learning a lot, I might be inclined to suggest that whilst on the ND that you consider a daily "step-on-step-off" routine with your scales, but an "official weigh in" on your chosen day, weekly?

I have been the same weight for well over 3 years now, but I do vary differently most days, within +/-1kg (i.e. a 2kg range). Sometimes it can be more if all the weight factors are in play at once.

Daily I do the "step-on-step-off", which is literally that, then once a week, I use the further functions of my scales to measure my %fat, %muscle, visceral fat and so on. Like doing bloods regularly, it has taught me where my natural running ranges are, so that the variances are just what they are.

I'm not suggesting for a moment you are doing anything wrong, or that my way is superior in any way, it's just a further way to familiarise yourself with your body and it's workings.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Peerless67

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Weighing every day first thing in the norming or last thing at night, then choosing the middle reading to use as the week's weight can work well for tracking progress.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Your BG is like mine - it's got a mind of its own. I find myself staring in total disbelief at me meter sometimes when I'm expecting a low and get a high or vice versa

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 4 day 25:

Fasting BG 4.5

2 hours after evening meal 6.4 which was my high today. I had chicken soup with asparagus, broccoli and fine beans.

Reactions: Chook

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Peerless67 - I've just had a catch up on this thread, and I have to say you're really doing well.

I know most places suggest only weighing weekly, but bearing in mind your variances, and that you are learning a lot, I might be inclined to suggest that whilst on the ND that you consider a daily "step-on-step-off" routine with your scales, but an "official weigh in" on your chosen day, weekly?

I have been the same weight for well over 3 years now, but I do vary differently most days, within +/-1kg (i.e. a 2kg range). Sometimes it can be more if all the weight factors are in play at once.

Daily I do the "step-on-step-off", which is literally that, then once a week, I use the further functions of my scales to measure my %fat, %muscle, visceral fat and so on. Like doing bloods regularly, it has taught me where my natural running ranges are, so that the variances are just what they are.

I'm not suggesting for a moment you are doing anything wrong, or that my way is superior in any way, it's just a further way to familiarise yourself with your body and it's workings.

Good luck with it all.
How do scales measure %fat and visceral fat?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do scales measure %fat and visceral fat?

Hi Muzzer.

Wiki talk about it generally here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioelectrical_impedance_analysis

The following link is to the scales I have, although there are plenty of others similarly measuring VF. It is commonly believed that the use of hand grasps can positively influence the accuracy of the readings, as the measuring areas increases, in this case, from 4 underfoot to 4 underfoot, plus the 2 hand grasps.

There is a manual on the manufacturer's site.

https://www.omron-healthcare.com/en-gb/products/weightmanagement#

Like most things T2, I really focus on my "running ranges" and personal variances.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had a sub 7 day again yesterday, I am still hoping to get a full week of sub 7s but always seem to get the odd 7+

Week 4 day 26:

Fasting BG 4.2

Before my midday meal I had a 4.1 which is my lowest recorded BG

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done.
Still doing the soups and veg?

Thank you, yes I am still using Heinz no added sugar low salt soups and eating roast veg in the evening. Yesterday I had chicken soup with green veg but today I am back with the roast veg. I find that the roast veg is filling because my dinner time soup is only 153 calories so I can have a reasonably large evening meal.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had a sub 7 day again yesterday.

Week 4 day 23:

Fasting BG 4.4
Hey,
You really are doing great, 4.4 is excellent.

I completed week 3 this morning and my BG was 7.2 which was averaging low 6's this week just gone. At this stage I am happy compared to the 15.9 it was, but would love to get 4.4 ! Well done you.

How is the weight loss going?
Do u have a target weight?

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 5 Days 29 and 30:

Fasting BG 4.6 and 4.8 respectively.

Yesterday I had my lowest recorded BG of >> 4.0 << before my evening meal.

My numbers have been getting lower and I am hoping to get a full week of sub 7s. I have had 4 days of the last 5 sub 7 with a 7.3 high on bank holiday Monday that destroyed my run.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thats EXCELLENT - well done!!!!!

And lovely fasting numbers.

I've been having a few higher fasting numbers over the last few days - all I can think is that its the change in weather causing my arthritis to give raised inflammation in my joints (inflammation can raise BG).

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fasting bloods are superb you must be really pleased and the weights coming down.
Not sure what a kerogen diet is though?
Congrats on the half way milestone - well done!
Hope the 2ndbdownhill half is as successful for you.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Week 5 day 31:

Fasting BG 4.6
Fasting bloods are superb you must be really pleased and the weights coming down.
Not sure what a kerogen diet is though?
Congrats on the half way milestone - well done!
Hope the 2ndbdownhill half is as successful for you.

Cheers Muzzer.
Ketogenic diet is basically low carb with fat and protein making up the bulk of your food intake. The idea is for your body to run on fat instead of sugar. So you can still lose fat but retain or increase muscle. I expect to be somewhere around the 72KG mark at my Monday weigh in at which point I will have to do something because I am looking a bit thin in my own opinion.

Reactions: Chook