Hey all, going through a difficult time

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the same meter and sometimes find the bolus suggestions a bit aggressive but then like you @kaylz91 I am not yet a year diagnosed and have lowish doses still (put down to honeymoon which makes things even more erratic occasionally). Correction suggestions I find worst as I can plummet with these. If you think it's suggestion is wrong you can always adjust it either way for what you think and then see if you were right later.

I have managed to adjust the meter so that it's advice is normally correct now including the IOB calculations but I had to work out a few extra settings beyond what is in the time blocks. I'd second the advice to have another word with your DSN and see if you can get it readjusted so you can hopefully put more trust in the advice it gives you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The meter cannot calculate for perhaps stress or exercise before or after or illness. You need to enter these too and remember to use and adjust them if necessary.

Ie if I eat before I walk my dog then I must do a reduced bolus... but that percentage has to be long term worked out by you. Nurses can set up to their "average" patient but you will need to adjust this too.

The meter is only as good as the info put in it and also...our sometimes stupid bodies can still throw everything out!

Ie if my stomach/colon not working I know my bloods will go higher... but I have had 5 years to figure that out and I still wont get it perfect.

Life is not perfect, sometimes we have to take a step back and relax and re look at things at a leter date..

Eg. It wouldnt be good if you have an illnessike a cold to change basal/carbs. Best to give yourself some leeway and to try an illness percentage increase for bolus injections...

You will figure it out, but it needs time and close liaison with DSN but you will become the expert in time and will get things fine tuned.....

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well guys a week and a bit later and I'm down to xxkg, really hoping the consultant see's how bad this is and tries to get me the help I need sooner :( x

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well guys a week and a bit later and I'm down to xxkg, really hoping the consultant see's how bad this is and tries to get me the help I need sooner :( x

@kaylz91 Have you been able to try any of the 'adding food' suggestions above? Particularly the adding fat ones?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate your honesty and courage in saying this. have you said these exact words to your DSN?
Yes I have, I see a DSN after I see the consultant but she's not the easiest to get on with so she wont be as easy to talk to and also I have never actually met my consultant as he was off the first appointment I had so I saw someone else x

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have, I see a DSN after I see the consultant but she's not the easiest to get on with so she wont be as easy to talk to and also I have never actually met my consultant as he was off the first appointment I had so I saw someone else x
Is there no health professional you can ask for help? It does seem you need urgent help in helping with your fear? hugs

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just have to wait unfortunately :( x
I just can't see this is good, surely someone can bring a appointment forward, you need help now.
Anyone here on this Eating disorders forum have experience of similar issues and knows how Kaylz91 can access help now?

Reactions: MargaretR

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just can't see this is good, surely someone can bring a appointment forward, you need help now.
Anyone here on this Eating disorders forum have experience of similar issues and knows how Kaylz91 can access help now?
Well is why I'm hoping the consultant see's how bad I really am and can get something done about it x

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
Hey @kaylz91

Again, I am so so sorry for being late to respond here. I have had a busy few weeks and have been struggling a bit myself.

Firstly, I am sorry but have needed to remove the numbers used in your posts as these are now permitted in the diabetes and eating disorder forum as stated in our rules. I hope you can understand. I should've been on the ball there a lot sooner. I also extend this reminder to the rest of the forum and also ask that people be a little more wary about providing so much info on specific carb amounts.

Secondly, i am glad you are on the list to see a psychologist but the weight is not good enough. Do your clinicians have enough insight into the updated NICE guidelines concerning people with diabetes and eating disorders do you know? WE have info concerning this in the DWED website members section which includes specific advice concerning using those recommendations to your advantage when advocating for treatment. Also are you being referred to eating disorder services for an official diagnostic test? I imagine you will fit into the criteria for anorexia but sadly a diagnosis always seems to be what is required to really speed up access to the appropriate services.

I have some further thoughts but need to get my head together at a time that isn't 4am! ;) :joyful:

Thanks everyone who has offered support here so far while I have been AWOL. I will try to be better with this but can be quite hard being the sole DWED admin really. I'll have to give the others a kick up the **** haha! :p

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test a lot I don't really want to be even more tempted to just be able to sit and scan, its not that I don't want to eat more I really do want to eat! It's just the utter fear of something going wrong :( x

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
You definitely need professional help for this before it becomes a serious eating disorder. We are not medically qualified here to advise you on how to reverse how you feel about food but what we do know is that telling you try to eat more and what foods to eat just does not help it is not that simple. Hope you get the help you need very soon

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @kaylz91

Again, I am so so sorry for being late to respond here. I have had a busy few weeks and have been struggling a bit myself.

Firstly, I am sorry but have needed to remove the numbers used in your posts as these are now permitted in the diabetes and eating disorder forum as stated in our rules. I hope you can understand. I should've been on the ball there a lot sooner. I also extend this reminder to the rest of the forum and also ask that people be a little more wary about providing so much info on specific carb amounts.

Secondly, i am glad you are on the list to see a psychologist but the weight is not good enough. Do your clinicians have enough insight into the updated NICE guidelines concerning people with diabetes and eating disorders do you know? WE have info concerning this in the DWED website members section which includes specific advice concerning using those recommendations to your advantage when advocating for treatment. Also are you being referred to eating disorder services for an official diagnostic test? I imagine you will fit into the criteria for anorexia but sadly a diagnosis always seems to be what is required to really speed up access to the appropriate services.

I have some further thoughts but need to get my head together at a time that isn't 4am! ;) :joyful:

Thanks everyone who has offered support here so far while I have been AWOL. I will try to be better with this but can be quite hard being the sole DWED admin really. I'll have to give the others a kick up the **** haha! :p
Sorry I should have read the rules first my apologies and I have no idea about guidelines etc or what my team know about them I have an appointment with my consultant next week is there anything specific I should ask him? Thanks for getting back to me and I hope to hear from you soon x

Reactions: donnellysdogs

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You definitely need professional help for this before it becomes a serious eating disorder. We are not medically qualified here to advise you on how to reverse how you feel about food but what we do know is that telling you try to eat more and what foods to eat just does not help it is not that simple. Hope you get the help you need very soon
Thanks for realising that as elsewhere I have had comments about starving children and I have food available so just eat it I hasten to add that did not help me at all and made me feel 100x worse but hey ho x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I found out I was a type 2, absolutely everyone and their brother were off on their holidays. I was terrified of eating. All food seemed to be sheer poison, even things that claimed to be healthy, and there was no one who could tell me what I could eat without going into double digits. No doc, no dietician, no Dnurse... Realising that I'd been diabetic for a while -years, as it turns out- I ended up deciding to give myself time. Time to hit the books, learn all I could process about low carb/high fat, tailor it to my needs (having a problem with dairy is tough in the kitchen sometimes! Not to mention migraine triggers...), but after 2 months I was eating 6 meals a day, (3 regular sized, 3 small), my HbA1c dropped to almost normal levels, I could ditch the meds, and after being rather extreme in adhering to the diet, I learned -about a year later- to be flexible in my diet and improvise when necessary. HbA1c is currently xx so it worked. You have to give yourself a break at some point, and you know it, otherwise you wouldn't ask for help. You're afraid of what your levels will do, but anything that happens with those -not counting hypo's!- is long-term damage. What you're doing now is really having an impact on your health. You don't want complications, you don't want diabetes to kill you... But right now it's not the bloodsugar that's hurting you, in the short term. You have enough control and stamina to keep up a diet that is not actually helping you right now. Read, learn, and find a diet you can adhere to with similar vigor, and channel the same feelings into, without putting your body through hell in the process. I know how scary it is to eat, I really do... But there's food out there that won't help you into an early grave. Salmon, unprocesses meats, eggs, cheeses, above-ground veggies... You can eat your fill and then some. And if you don't trust it, check your meter. I know, type 2's not the same... But I had to learn to eat as a diabetic. It can be done. Good luck... And I hope you get the help you need soon.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I should have read the rules first my apologies and I have no idea about guidelines etc or what my team know about them I have an appointment with my consultant next week is there anything specific I should ask him? Thanks for getting back to me and I hope to hear from you soon x

Kaylz, to be fair to you, your thread was originally posted in another part of the forum, so it's pretty reasonable that you wouldn't have realised. You would usually have been asked about moving your thread to another forum area. DId that not happen?

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I had no idea it had been moved see, but the numbers should have been edited out by whoever moved it. @kaylz91 please do not worry, no need to apologise. I'll have a think about your question regarding what to ask your consultant and get back to you. Whereabouts are you based?

Last edited:
Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no idea it had been moved see, but the numbers should have been edited out by whoever moved it. @kaylz91 please do not worry, no need to apologise. I'll have a think about your question regarding what to ask your consultant and get back to you. Whereabouts are you based?
I'm in Scotland x