Bovril

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all.
Is bovril high carb drink or not? I have looked it up and tbh I am quite confused. Some sites say it has a large amount of carbs, others that a spoonful has1 grm and others say its negligible.
What do others think?
I am trying to cut down on the amount of coffee I drink because I just cant drink it without milk.
Thanks for help.

D

Deleted Account

If you are looking for hot drink alternatives without milk, I would recommend trying out some herbal teas. I often hear people exclaim "I don't like herbal tea" but as there are so many with very different tastes, I feel that's like saying "I don't like vegetables".

I vary my herbal tea between mint (often straight from the garden), lemon-gingery ones, berry based, apple-cinnamon and redbush. I am not a fan of Camomile or rose hips but still find plenty to drink.
Just like Bovril and Marmite, you are also cutting down on caffeine.

And when it's hot, it's easy to make iced versions: pour a small amount of boiling water on a teabag and mush around for up to 5 minutes to get the flavour out; remove the teabag and add lots of ice. Enjoy your refreshing, carb free, un-fizzy, caffeine free drink.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou all.
The info from tesco is interesting. I was looking at myftnesspal (cant post links for some reason) and they say a serving has nearly 2 grms of carbs. Other sites say much the same. Would much rather believe tesco!

And I have tried fruit teas and am not a fan. But will try again. Mint might be nice on an autumn morning.x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Green Tea is nice and refreshing @Kentoldlady1

I am trying to cut down on the amount of coffee I drink because I just cant drink it without milk.

Is there a reason why you can't take milk in coffee, the amount of carbs in splash of milk is negligible, even over the course of a day it wouldn't add up to much unless you drink endless cups. If you are worried then just switch to Lacto-free milk as it has around half the carbs of normal milk.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Alas, its never a splash.
I love it very strong and about half milk. Tried less milk, cream etc and just dont like it. I drink about 6 mugs full each morning, so am trying to cut down to 3 and then just one.
I need a substitute!!

Reactions: Crystalwand

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Alas, its never a splash.
I love it very strong and about half milk. Tried less milk, cream etc and just dont like it. I drink about 6 mugs full each morning, so am trying to cut down to 3 and then just one.
I need a substitute!!

Blimey I'd be running to the loo all the time, plus that is a lot of caffeine in such a short space of time so your wise to cut back.

As said Green Tea is refreshing and very enjoyable and isn't taken with milk, give it a go but stay clear of some of the cheaper brands (one being Clipper) as ain't very nice. The best Green Tea is sold in Holland & Barrett and is called Double Dragon, a bit pricey but worth it IMHO.

DomPirate

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a Bovril on the ward as an evening drink, it's quite sweet.5g sugar - oops!
Hmm next mmol soon

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a Bovril on the ward as an evening drink, it's quite sweet.5g sugar - oops!
Hmm next mmol soon
sugar in bovril???? There is less than 1g of carb in a mug of bovril. 1 mug is around 5g of undiluted Bovril - a teaspoonful.

Reactions: KK123